01:09 PM on 05/16/12 
User Info.
cwhit412
don't ask
No Avatar Selected
College Park, MD
Male - 22 Years Old
Yes it was.

95% of advances are now sent out when the band/label/PR people are ready for the album leak. They know when they send them out - it's going to leak. So, since you didn't get it early, does that mean you're not trusted?

Yes I have.
I've read it.

Nah. I don't like Pitchfork and they have good content.

Let's open the first link.

On the music of Awake In The City, I think it's absolutely brilliant. The American Dollar covers pretty much all the bases on the album, and it has a little bit of electronic flair (well, I guess you could say more than a little bit with all of the synths, but it kind of falls second to noticing what's created by the music) that makes everything just wonderful.

Seriously? First, let's point out that reviews are all you guys do ... they're like 5th on the priority list of what AP.net does. So, if your main focus and reason for people READING YOUR SITE ... is cranking out content that 1/2 of the time is as good as our reviews? That is a big problem.
Firstly, that's not even close to the first link. Nice try arbitrarily picking something out.

Reviews are our main content...reviews and artist features...that is the best way to get people to read about bands they wouldn't before.
News is obviously AP's #1 thing. Why would I post about something in which bigger sites already have the same thing.
We do interviews when a writer wants to, we do exclusives when we can get one (actually have a pretty big thing that I'm getting together), we even do live sessions where a band does alternate versions of songs...definitely my favorite thing to do and the most unique thing about my site.
But I honestly don't care about getting popular. It's something fun that I do, and I've loved all three years of me doing this. so if you have to resort to bashing the fact that I don't get views, then that's absolutely useless. because that means NOTHING to me.
01:10 PM on 05/16/12 
User Info.
irthetyler
Coachillin'?
Los Angeles, CA
Male - 30 Years Old
But that's not how it works. The reason you keep getting things is because PR people keep getting paid by the amount of ink they get. They don't really care where it comes from, or even if the quality of it is any good ... they care about being able to send links to a band/label and justify their expense of hiring them in the first place. In turn, hoping they then get hired again to do press for another album in the future.

And, let's be honest -- there's a difference between a small weblog (POZ) and a blog or site that's so miniscule it's no different than a personal facebook page that just happens to be called a music blog.

I mean ... let's look at the links posted today by EarShotMedia on the new "Misser" album:

http://rothnroll.blogspot.com/2012/0...-im-going.html
http://killthemusic.net/post/2316514...lf-im-going-to
http://www.megustareviews.com/2012/0...-im-going.html

There's basically no point to any of these "reviews." A "growing site" should actually be growing, have some kind of traffic history, and be turning out good quality content. But the truth is ... no one cares about that. They care about numbers and will scattershot virtually any "blog" that requests something ... because it helps them look better.

Bolded is 100% true. Wrote for a site for a bit probably like 7 years ago now, a little before everyone and their mother had a blog, and I got advances all the time. That was a site that had maybe 100 readers in its lifetime haha. It was a joke, a pretty cool joke but a joke nonetheless.
01:12 PM on 05/16/12 
User Info.
cwhit412
don't ask
No Avatar Selected
College Park, MD
Male - 22 Years Old
I don't see what the problem is. I never even POSTED in this thread and I get brought up for zero reason. I do what I do, and it has nothing to do with what AP does.
01:14 PM on 05/16/12 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
sophos
St. Louis, MO
Male - 23 Years Old
Staff Member
AP.net may have better writers than MD but there are a few around here that seriously cripple the average
01:18 PM on 05/16/12 
User Info.
Sakarazu
The bus came by and I got on
Boston/CT
Male - 19 Years Old
MD is completely different from ap.net (from what my admittedly untrained eye can tell) and they seem to be run a LOT different and have completely different priorities and probably shouldn't even be compared. Sure, you can compare the reviews or the writers or the interviews on their own merit, but the sites as a whole don't seem very comparable.
01:21 PM on 05/16/12 
User Info.
Sakarazu
Boston/CT
Male - 19 Years Old
Also, wonder how many times this conversation has happened? Seems to be that a lot of the same 5 or so controversial topics (and people associated) come up a lot. Kinda interesting how the community has it's own stuff like that.
01:26 PM on 05/16/12 
User Info.
cwhit412
don't ask
No Avatar Selected
College Park, MD
Male - 22 Years Old
It's the very first thing on your page when I look at it. What are you smoking?

I'd correct you -- but I don't want to give you free advice.

Community is AP.net's #1 thing.

Why would you review something when "bigger sites" already have the same thing/better reviews? You can ask yourself the same question.

Again, not the priority though ... which was my point.

Which, again, is my entire point about the idea that "advances" are sent to anyone. Even those that don't get any traffic, or even CARE to get people viewing their website and content ... that's my entire point. It's the very foundation of my point here.

I rarely update my header, especially because I've had exams lately. Didn't think that was what you were reading off of...my apologies. you were right.
01:28 PM on 05/16/12 
User Info.
Erik the Orange
What do they know about friends?
Syracuse
Male - 23 Years Old
01:29 PM on 05/16/12 
User Info.
cwhit412
don't ask
No Avatar Selected
College Park, MD
Male - 22 Years Old
Cwhit has become a verb.

I better see that in the dictionary in a few years, otherwise my life has been worthless.
01:30 PM on 05/16/12 
User Info.
cwhit412
don't ask
No Avatar Selected
College Park, MD
Male - 22 Years Old

01:32 PM on 05/16/12 
User Info.
cwhit412
don't ask
No Avatar Selected
College Park, MD
Male - 22 Years Old
Can we just talk about The Gaslight Anthem? everyone loves them.
01:34 PM on 05/16/12 
User Info.
cwhit412
don't ask
No Avatar Selected
College Park, MD
Male - 22 Years Old
MD is completely different from ap.net (from what my admittedly untrained eye can tell) and they seem to be run a LOT different and have completely different priorities and probably shouldn't even be compared. Sure, you can compare the reviews or the writers or the interviews on their own merit, but the sites as a whole don't seem very comparable.

as my last words, just going to requote this, because this is the absolute truth.
01:37 PM on 05/16/12 
User Info.
Sakarazu
Boston/CT
Male - 19 Years Old
Cwhit has become a verb.

Exactly. Iunno, I find the community kinda fascinating. Not just the sense of people being a community but the fact that it's such a like... "advanced" community that it has it's own idioms and stuff.
01:41 PM on 05/16/12 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
sophos
St. Louis, MO
Male - 23 Years Old
Staff Member
did casey just quad post
01:43 PM on 05/16/12 
User Info.
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
usa
Genderfluid - 27 Years Old
Exactly. Iunno, I find the community kinda fascinating. Not just the sense of people being a community but the fact that it's such a like... "advanced" community that it has it's own idioms and stuff.
People take this shit seriously.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version