That Refugee cover is amazing, love The State of Love and Trust cover as well

Anyway here is acoustic 45"

http://www.nme.com/news/the-gaslight...ightAnthemNews
01:03 PM on 05/03/12 
User Info.
reiss.
No Avatar Selected
Male - 25 Years Old
I, for one, enjoy the new single. Here's hoping it's a representation of what the entire record sounds like.
09:30 AM on 05/04/12 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
"And did you wanna drive, without a word in-between I can understand, you need a minute to breathe."

Been meaning to toss up some thoughts on The Gaslight Anthem's Handwritten sampler. I'll usually wait for the full album for things, because I believe that when an artist creates an album - they do so looking at the entire album as its digested as a whole. For me that's an important aspect to when I first hear something: as the artist intended it. However, when it comes to a band like TGA, arguably my favorite band right now ... sometimes a boy's gotta make sacrifices. Thankfully the songs I've heard are in order on the album track listing (as far as we know).

First, gotta preface this with a few things: The sampler that I got is in stream form, and as you know - that means the quality is lower than what you'll hear on the album. I know this for a fact, because I, like most of you, were tuned to the premiere on Zane's radio show for the single premiere. And the quality that came through that was deeper - richer - and better. The quality of the sampler stream is a little pitchy. I sound like an ungrateful douche - but the truth is I wanted to make sure you knew what I was judging the songs from ... and take that into consideration.

So, how do the new songs sound of one of the most anticipated albums of all year?

Like The Gaslight Anthem. Don't worry.

You've heard the single - probably - and you know that they start things off with a more fast paced number. The second track is more mid/59-Sound/tempo, with a stomping beat and Brian's vocals back down in their regular register. The lyrics are exactly what I was hoping for. The production sounds fucking huge. Brian's themes of love/loss/and the night are pretty prominent. And I'm sensing a theme already for where the album is going to go ... a theme I like.

What the sampler provides is a look into what I think the album is going to shape into ... and what I am getting is that it sounds giant. It's diverse in sound -- while still maintaining a very TGA feel. A part of me wants to hold back on saying that it sounds more "mainstream" and "accessible" because I am afraid people will take that the wrong way. But, to some degree, it's just the truth -- it sounds like the kind of album everyone will love. That the die-hard fans will be able to nod along to and see where the band came from to get here ... (the people that want Sink or Swim part 2 - well, they had to know that wasn't happening) ... it carries the weight of The '59 Sound with a bit more of the force of Elsie.

The band (and Brian, in general) has a catalog of such mammoth proportions that I always feel, with each new release, that we're too close to it ... that we're inside of an era of musical creativity and development that can only truly be appreciated with time. That in 10 years we'll look back and actually understand. Appreciate. And grasp what is taking place. However, in the meantime I get an odd feeling that we are seeing something special here.

Sampler first impressions from my blog.
10:05 AM on 05/04/12 
User Info.
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
Brookline, MA
Male - 30 Years Old
What the sampler provides is a look into what I think the album is going to shape into ... and what I am getting is that it sounds giant. It's diverse in sound -- while still maintaining a very TGA feel. A part of me wants to hold back on saying that it sounds more "mainstream" and "accessible" because I am afraid people will take that the wrong way. But, to some degree, it's just the truth -- it sounds like the kind of album everyone will love. That the die-hard fans will be able to nod along to and see where the band came from to get here ... (the people that want Sink or Swim part 2 - well, they had to know that wasn't happening) ... it carries the weight of The '59 Sound with a bit more of the force of Elsie.

The band (and Brian, in general) has a catalog of such mammoth proportions that I always feel, with each new release, that we're too close to it ... that we're inside of an era of musical creativity and development that can only truly be appreciated with time. That in 10 years we'll look back and actually understand. Appreciate. And grasp what is taking place. However, in the meantime I get an odd feeling that we are seeing something special here.

This bit has me excited. For me, "45" seems like they took everything great about all of their releases and melded them into one glorious, anthemic single. It's poppy without losing its edge, it's powerful without seeming forced. There's passion. And from what you're saying, that carries on into every other song you've heard.

How many songs are on the sampler?
10:07 AM on 05/04/12 
User Info.
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
New, Mexico
Male - 26 Years Old
ughhh. i can't wait to hear the whole thing. lousy cockteases.
11:21 AM on 05/04/12 
User Info.
poseidon0513
blank
No Avatar Selected
Quote:
We’re shooting a video for our new single “45” this Wednesday at the Stone Pony in Asbury Park, NJ! Want to be in it?
Email tga45videorsvp@gmail.com for more info! 18+ only!
yup
01:48 PM on 05/04/12 
User Info.
BillAftermath
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 24 Years Old
The fact that there is an Elsie comparison makes me stoked.

And if only I could do that drive to Asbury Park on Wednesday. I'd die.
03:52 PM on 05/04/12 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Lots of "night" references.
04:11 PM on 05/04/12 
User Info.
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
Indiana
Male - 24 Years Old
Really hoping this doesn't sound like Elsie...

It's an alright album and all but I don't want more of that out of a Gaslight record.
04:33 PM on 05/04/12 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Songs I've heard sound nothing like Elsie. That said, I liked Elsie's first impressions. That album's insanely good.
04:36 PM on 05/04/12 
User Info.
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
Indiana
Male - 24 Years Old
Oh it is a good album but I think it was wise to keep most of those songs separate from Gaslight. It might just be me but good as that album is, listening to it just kind of makes me want to listen to Gaslight instead, haha. There's some brilliant songs on there for sure though.
05:01 PM on 05/04/12 
User Info.
Paulb-182
opentofire.bandcamp.com
England
Male - 25 Years Old
I dunno, I think some of the songs on that album would have worked a treat for Gaslight. Broaden their sound a little, I'm not complaining though, I love everything they do. But if they're interested in becoming a hugely popular band, a little variation is probably something to admire, not to separate and keep away from.
09:26 AM on 05/07/12 
User Info.
Alligator Blood
/////////////////
Scarborough, UK
Male - 20 Years Old
I get the feeling we're anticipating Gaslight's best album. It'll take a lot to dislodge Sink or Swim as my favorite though.
10:36 AM on 05/07/12 
User Info.
DylanPPPP
Noooooooooooch
Saginaw, MI
Male - 21 Years Old
Gaslight has had their share of variation. American Slang is probably their most diverse record. A lot of varied tempo across the album with different vibes accompanying different tracks.

I'm glad to hear that it appears they are going for a broader sound, and judging from 45 I totally hear that. I really want to see TGA get huge.
04:50 PM on 05/07/12 
User Info.
mrnegativezero
You wanted to set the world on fire
Southern California
Male - 22 Years Old
No matter how much I listen to "We Did It When We Were Young" I just can't get into it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos