Password

10:42 AM on 05/11/12 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Thought the interview went great.

Some really good answers. My favorite was about the overproduction thoughts ... and his, "it's amazing how many people on the internet are all of a sudden engineers when a band releases a new song." Haha, cracked me up. Really good answer on that full question though.

I'll try and have it up early next week.
02:49 PM on 05/14/12 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Typing up some answers now ... I'll post a few tidbits in here before the full thing tomorrow.

So, what would you say is the biggest difference on "Handwritten" compared to the band's past work?

I think, well, this time with Brendan we had enough time to really make it sound like we wanted it to. Sometimes when a new record's out people will come out and say something like, "so and so's overproduced" - and first of all - I didn't know that everybody and their mother has an engineering degree all of a sudden. And you'll have magazines doing the, "well, I like so and so's last album and the new one is just too over produced." And I kinda feel like calling up the magazine and saying, "Yeah, well - the article was great, but you know I don't really like the paper you printed this on." I mean, since when did all these people work the tape ops? Well, the thing that was really cool this time - if you listen to our records, they're all really attempting to be these big sounding records. Attempting to sound huge. And I think on this one - we actually had all of the opportunities to do it with the kind of equipment we were using and we had 'the guy' that, well, that's what he does: he makes things sound huge. Even if you have this quiet acoustic song, somehow he's still able to make it sound huge when he's done with it. So, you know, I think that was really the coolest … and I guess most different thing … about this record.
05:25 PM on 05/14/12 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
And in this day and age - look, you don't have to agree with anyone, you don't have to think like they do - hell, I don't really know what I think about it. If Tom had come up to me and said, "look, I think I want to be a woman" - personally, I would have been like, "woah, dude, that's a heavy decision - are you sure?" You know? I mean, look, I don't know Tom that well, or this situation, and all that. But all I can tell you is that is her decision, and you better shut your mouth about name calling. It's not your decision.
07:18 PM on 05/14/12 
User Info.
eagles1139
Male - 20 Years Old
Typing up some answers now ... I'll post a few tidbits in here before the full thing tomorrow.

So, what would you say is the biggest difference on "Handwritten" compared to the band's past work?

I think, well, this time with Brendan we had enough time to really make it sound like we wanted it to. Sometimes when a new record's out people will come out and say something like, "so and so's overproduced" - and first of all - I didn't know that everybody and their mother has an engineering degree all of a sudden. And you'll have magazines doing the, "well, I like so and so's last album and the new one is just too over produced." And I kinda feel like calling up the magazine and saying, "Yeah, well - the article was great, but you know I don't really like the paper you printed this on." I mean, since when did all these people work the tape ops? Well, the thing that was really cool this time - if you listen to our records, they're all really attempting to be these big sounding records. Attempting to sound huge. And I think on this one - we actually had all of the opportunities to do it with the kind of equipment we were using and we had 'the guy' that, well, that's what he does: he makes things sound huge. Even if you have this quiet acoustic song, somehow he's still able to make it sound huge when he's done with it. So, you know, I think that was really the coolest … and I guess most different thing … about this record.

Great answer. Can't wait to read the full interview.
07:21 PM on 05/14/12 
User Info.
ImTheSheriff
///
Male - 25 Years Old
Brian is awesome.
08:25 PM on 05/14/12 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
I'm going to post the text of the interview tonight for fans to read through if they'd like ... and then post up the article about it tomorrow on the homepage.
08:41 PM on 05/14/12 
User Info.
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
NYC via GNV
Male - 23 Years Old
Staff Member
interview to end all interviews
08:57 PM on 05/14/12 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
So, I'm not posting this on the homepage yet ... but if you wanna read it, here's the link. I want to give the die-hard fans a change to read it and comment on it before officially launching tomorrow. Enjoy guys, I'll be officially posting/launching the interview tomorrow on the homepage ... sure to be a lot of discussion about this one.
09:29 PM on 05/14/12 
User Info.
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
Indiana
Male - 24 Years Old
Good interview.
10:43 PM on 05/14/12 
User Info.
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
Gainesville, FL
Male - 25 Years Old
Awesome, awesome interview. Really love his insight in the recording process. Fantastic tidbits about working with O'Brien and everything. And thanks a bunch for asking my question, Jason. Really like his answer to that one. Also, really love the story about "Here Comes My Man." Can't wait to hear that one.
10:47 PM on 05/14/12 
User Info.
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
Gainesville, FL
Male - 25 Years Old
Also, majorly excited about the "Sliver" cover. Great song by my favorite band of all-time.
10:57 PM on 05/14/12 
User Info.
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
New, Mexico
Male - 26 Years Old
02:56 AM on 05/15/12 
User Info.
ragnarokstar
it's just a case of flash delirium
Male - 27 Years Old
So, I'm not posting this on the homepage yet ... but if you wanna read it, here's the link. I want to give the die-hard fans a change to read it and comment on it before officially launching tomorrow. Enjoy guys, I'll be officially posting/launching the interview tomorrow on the homepage ... sure to be a lot of discussion about this one.

Best interview I have read in a long time.
06:10 AM on 05/15/12 
User Info.
Paulb-182
opentofire.bandcamp.com
England
Male - 25 Years Old
Haha it kinda stops being an interview for a while there and a big long rant from Brian. I have no issues with that.
06:26 AM on 05/15/12 
User Info.
ugman_2000
May your music break my ear drums
Guildford, England
Male - 29 Years Old
Really looking forward to reading this when I get home from work today

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music