AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

08:27 AM on 07/20/12 
User Info.
onthereg
Male - 31 Years Old
I can definitely see that being a criticism of his lyrics, which, while great, don't have the widest thematic variety. That doesn't bother me personally though. As a musician, however, it's almost astounding to hear how much they use the VI-IV-I-V chord progression (the first part of the chorus of "45," for instance), and, on Handwritten at least, how often it's in the key of Bb. I guess it's comfortable and sort of their trademark at this point, and it's definitely not something that turns me off from listening to them, but as a criticism, it certainly has some basis.

Hmm. I am so far from being a musician that I never pick up on stuff like that.
09:02 AM on 07/20/12 
User Info.
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
Earth
Male
Would you mind explaining that point a little bit more? Not sure I see him writing the same songs over and over again.

I think I pick it up mostly in the chord progressions. There are a few Brian seems to stick to using, mainly the whole major key, cadence, minor key, resolve thing. I seem to pick up music from a primarily melody-based standpoint, so that kind of thing perks my ears a little bit. It's not a huge deal at the moment, the more the songs grow on me, the more I start to distinguish them as unique songs, but I'm also looking forward to some evolution in the future.

EDIT: Pretty much what Fourchordwonder said above, aside from the lyrics part.
09:28 AM on 07/20/12 
User Info.
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
Indiana
Male - 25 Years Old
I'm like the only one not totally in love with this album lol.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely good but it isn't resonating with me the same way the last three have.
09:30 AM on 07/20/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
Man, the cover of "Sliver" makes me realize just how much I dislike Nirvana.
09:31 AM on 07/20/12 
User Info.
eagles1139
Male - 21 Years Old
Blue Dahlia would have been one of the best songs on the album. Bizarre to leave it off.
09:57 AM on 07/20/12 
User Info.
11:11
Soft sound
Philly, PA
Female - 23 Years Old
Love the bonus tracks as well. Album is just too perfect. Easily my favorite of theirs.
10:04 AM on 07/20/12 
User Info.
Chesser19
Canada
Male - 25 Years Old
Blue Dahlia would have been one of the best songs on the album. Bizarre to leave it off.

Agree with this. It would have been really nice to have this on the standard version of the album, but as of now, it's one of the best bonus tracks I've ever heard.
10:25 AM on 07/20/12 
User Info.
InExile
AOTY: Broad Shoulders by Dikembe
Male - 28 Years Old
When he sings "Sniffing out blood, just a little taste of "Where I came from",....................

is he referring to a vagina?

Nobody wants to have an indepth conversation about the lyrics? Man, Gaslight Anthem fans are shallow...
10:29 AM on 07/20/12 
User Info.
Chris Yates
-
Chattanooga, TN
Male - 27 Years Old
Wish I had the Teenage Rebellion bonus track
10:34 AM on 07/20/12 
User Info.
CollectiveConfusion
New York NY
Male - 26 Years Old
Verified
Uh... where are these bonus tracks?
11:01 AM on 07/20/12 
User Info.
eagles1139
Male - 21 Years Old
After a handful of listens, I consider Handwritten up there with 59 Sound. Might eventually like it more, but a lot of my love for the band goes into watching live videos and such so we'll see how these songs hold up.
12:30 PM on 07/20/12 
User Info.
InExile
AOTY: Broad Shoulders by Dikembe
Male - 28 Years Old
Listening to 59 Sound for the first time, a few tracks in, I like Handwritten a lot more, to be honest, but it's like the 5th song.
01:08 PM on 07/20/12 
User Info.
Alligator Blood
Scarborough, England
Male - 21 Years Old
Blue Dahlia is such an amazing song to just be a bonus track, but does anybody else think that the intro sounds a little disconnected...?
02:26 PM on 07/20/12 
User Info.
Lionel Ballins
No Avatar Selected
Memphis
Male
I know there's been like 3 awesome, full HD sets of theirs posted lately but heres my contribution. A really short, terribly shitty video of "Here's Lookin at You, Kid" that I got on my phone from the Nashville show on Wednesday. Enjoy.

06:43 PM on 07/20/12 
User Info.
Hamlet
Prince of Denmark
New Zealand
Male - 29 Years Old
Blue Dahlia is such an amazing song to just be a bonus track, but does anybody else think that the intro sounds a little disconnected...?

Yeah something about the way it flows into the chorus doesn't quite sit right, especially the first time you hear it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos