AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

11:42 AM on 07/24/12 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old
I don't mean that like he phoned it in, and I've got nothing against his views on the album itself -I just think it's lazy to compare him to Bruce when that's already been done for the last 5 years. Every paragraph alludes to Bruce in one way or the other. Why? Because they're both from NJ, and they've played together? Why does Gaslight have to carry this torch for the better part of a decade?

Also, I just think he makes a lot of assumptions. Like the whole paragraph about how the songs are phony because nobody listens to the radio anymore? That's an assumption that he has no proof to back up. This guy did a great job of becoming Brian Fallon and pinpointing his exact motivations for each song and record he's ever written... which I think is an unfair assumption.

At the end of the day it's a review and it doesn't affect me in one way or the other, but I just find it lazy. He backed up his points well, I agree. But come up with some new material, this guy is a writer.

Isn't it also an assumption to say that Brian did listen to the radio through too? So it doesn't strike some people as genuine, saying so doesn't make him lazy. And with the whole Bruce thing, I agree its overdone but it doesn't bother me in reviews as much as it bothers me in interviews. Like, in interviews the guys have talked about Bruce way too much already and are clearly kinda sick of talking about him. Its certainly laziness on the interviewers behalf to just bring up Bruce. And its laziness for a reviewer if they bring him up as filler, but part of the point of this review is why Bruce keeps coming up -- because as much as we like to say they have escaped Bruce's shadow, this guy disagrees. Maybe people will stop brining up Bruce when they stop thinking their albums sound like Bruce. If he is sharing his opinion about the album, and his opinion is that its too Springsteen... how do you expect him not to bring him up?
11:46 AM on 07/24/12 
User Info.
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
Columbia, SC
Male - 25 Years Old
This is the first Gaslight album where I don't hear any Springsteen. Like people mentioned, there's a lot of Tom Petty on this, especially the beginnings of "Keepsake" and "Too Much Blood," with also a lot of '90s grunge styles, mainly from more mainstream Soundgarden and Pearl Jam.
11:48 AM on 07/24/12 
User Info.
CollectiveConfusion
New York NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Verified
Isn't it also an assumption to say that Brian did listen to the radio through too? So it doesn't strike some people as genuine, saying so doesn't make him lazy. And with the whole Bruce thing, I agree its overdone but it doesn't bother me in reviews as much as it bothers me in interviews. Like, in interviews the guys have talked about Bruce way too much already and are clearly kinda sick of talking about him. Its certainly laziness on the interviewers behalf to just bring up Bruce. And its laziness for a reviewer if they bring him up as filler, but part of the point of this review is why Bruce keeps coming up -- because as much as we like to say they have escaped Bruce's shadow, this guy disagrees. Maybe people will stop brining up Bruce when they stop thinking their albums sound like Bruce. If he is sharing his opinion about the album, and his opinion is that its too Springsteen... how do you expect him not to bring him up?

They will NEVER stop being compared to Bruce, which is the problem. They could write a dubstep record and every review would be a combination of 'they're trying to distance themselves from Bruce!' and 'Bruce would have done it better.' Reviews should look at the work at hand - not comparions that are years old and tired.

EDIT: and you're right on the assumption part, but I'm not the one writing a review.. when he said something along the lines of "no, bro, you didn't listen to rock radio when you were young" that undermines the whole band's integrity, and makes him sound uninformed.
11:55 AM on 07/24/12 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old
They will NEVER stop being compared to Bruce, which is the problem. They could write a dubstep record and every review would be a combination of 'they're trying to distance themselves from Bruce!' and 'Bruce would have done it better.' Reviews should look at the work at hand - not comparions that are years old and tired.

EDIT: and you're right on the assumption part, but I'm not the one writing a review..

Eh, we can agree to disagree but I think if they released a smooth jazz or dubstep record, this guy would've mentioned Bruce in the first paragraph and maybe the last one, but without it (to him) still falling under Springsteen's large shadow he wouldn't have brought it up so much.
11:58 AM on 07/24/12 
User Info.
CollectiveConfusion
New York NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Verified
Eh, we can agree to disagree but I think if they released a smooth jazz or dubstep record, this guy would've mentioned Bruce in the first paragraph and maybe the last one, but without it (to him) still falling under Springsteen's large shadow he wouldn't have brought it up so much.

Haha, see yeah there's no way we'll figure out a winner in that debate. I bet in this reviewers case the whole article woudl have been framed as "Gaslight writes jazz record to get out from underneath Bruce, it doesn't live up to expectations. Get back under there, Bruce never would have done this."
12:00 PM on 07/24/12 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old
Haha, see yeah there's no way we'll figure out a winner in that debate. I bet in this reviewers case the whole article woudl have been framed as "Gaslight writes jazz record to get out from underneath Bruce, it doesn't live up to expectations. Get back under there, Bruce never would have done this."

Haha. Either that or they would just replace all instances of "Bruce" with "Miles" and "Springsteen" with "Davis" and call it a night, right? =)
12:19 PM on 07/24/12 
User Info.
Polaris
Columbia, MO
Male - 26 Years Old
https://new.livestream.com/livestrea...gaslightanthem
the acoustic livestream should be starting any minute now.
12:51 PM on 07/24/12 
User Info.
drudo182
Be Royal
Springfield, MO
Male - 29 Years Old
Man, "Keepsake" has emerged as my favorite. What a song.
12:54 PM on 07/24/12 
User Info.
irthetyler
Coachillin'?
Los Angeles, CA
Male - 29 Years Old
This interview is great, haha.
01:01 PM on 07/24/12 
User Info.
CollectiveConfusion
New York NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Verified
Did anybody catch the beginning? Was Blue Jeans the first song?
01:01 PM on 07/24/12 
User Info.
irthetyler
Coachillin'?
Los Angeles, CA
Male - 29 Years Old
Did anybody catch the beginning? Was Blue Jeans the first song?

"45"
01:05 PM on 07/24/12 
User Info.
CollectiveConfusion
New York NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Verified
I love this cover.
01:06 PM on 07/24/12 
User Info.
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI