Password

08:07 PM on 07/17/13 
User Info.
Hamburglar
Jeff
Houston, TX
Male
No way you really feel that way...

Yes. I absolutely do feel that way. Guess I'm crazy.

Didn't he in Handwritten? There's definitely those songs in that album ... the last two define it.

For sure. I was commenting on the guy on the last page who was talking about a covers album, a new Gaslight album, a new Horrible Crowes album, and a solo album over the course of a year or two. All that should be condensed into one good Gaslight offering, we don't need 3 albums.
08:33 PM on 07/17/13 
User Info.
Hamburglar
Jeff
Houston, TX
Male

I love what he did with THC and HW and think they were fairly different, so I must be in the minority that likes that there are different songs featured in different avenues.

Don't get me wrong, Elsie is my 2nd favorite thing Brian has put out. I love that album. If he still has something he wants to get out AFTER they give everything they have to a Gaslight record, I'd love it. I just don't want him spreading himself thin trying to do multiple things at once. Put these side projects on hold for a while, all I'm saying.

EDIT: I realize this sounds like I'm backing out of my original argument where i said we dont need multiple albums. but this is what I was trying to get across originally lol. I don't want three albums being worked on AT ONCE.
08:54 PM on 07/17/13 
User Info.
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
Philadelphia, PA
Male
Nope, you're in the majority.
10:58 AM on 07/24/13 
User Info.
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
Brookline, MA
Male - 30 Years Old
From what I can tell, the rationale for the different projects is driven more by the amount that Brian writes, and what he's writing, rather than just a need to have 4-5 different projects goign on at once. That is, he seems like a prolific dude with a lot to say who enjoys experimenting with different sounds. And some of those sounds don't quite jive with the general Gaslight Anthem aesthetic.

I don't think it's this thing of like, "OH MAN! GOTTA PUT OUT RELEASES UNDER DIFFERENT NAMES!" so much as "I have all of these songs, and song X doesn't fit with band Y but I think it's pretty great." I hope that made sense...
11:04 PM on 07/24/13 
User Info.
Keele
Registered Member
No Avatar Selected
Anyone have The acoustic Gaslight Anthem split with the Scandals?
08:50 PM on 07/28/13 
User Info.
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
Brookline, MA
Male - 30 Years Old
Saw them on Friday night in NYC with the Bouncing Souls. It was a pretty phenomenal set on the whole, though I was a bit surprised by the relative lack of American Slang songs ("Queen of Lower Chelsea" was the only track).

Apparently the show tonight got a bit awkward...
09:23 PM on 07/28/13 
User Info.
qwerty22
--
Maryland
Male
what happened?
10:08 AM on 07/29/13 
User Info.
SteveLikesMusic
I'm A Man, Dammit
Buffalo NY
Male - 28 Years Old
Yea, Brian posted a dark instagram photo of text that said the date and 'NY, you broke my heart' or something. Trying to find deets.
10:18 AM on 07/29/13 
User Info.
SteveLikesMusic
I'm A Man, Dammit
Buffalo NY
Male - 28 Years Old
Oh, I guess Brian got pissed when the crowd started chanting 'Bruuuuce' like they wanted them to play a Bruce cover or something.
10:21 AM on 07/29/13 
User Info.
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
NJ
Male - 16 Years Old
Staff Member
Yeah, he wrote a blog about it too.
10:48 AM on 07/29/13 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
The point I was making with ESP&G is that instead of doing another double album like In Your Honor, they condensed it into one album (which I thought was very effective, maybe I'm the only one who rates it that highly.)

If Brian wants to write some acoustic based Americana music, there's no reason he shouldn't be able to implement that into a Gaslight record. Same with a dark, moody HC-style song. There's a way he can tastefully combine all the sounds he wants to pursue without having to put out multiple albums. I think he just churns out a lot of songs and its probably hard for him to narrow things down.

I'll back you on Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace. Not sure if I'd call it their best, but it's certainly more effective than the bloat of In Your Honor or the bore of One by One, which I think is easily their worst album.

With that said, I think Brian expanding his horizons has resulted in him making the best music of his life. Elements of the Horrible Crowes bled over to Handwritten, which I find to be the most varied (and best) album Gaslight have released. I love The '59 Sound as much as the next guy, but it gets kind of repetitive in the mid-section. By writing all different kinds of songs and pursuing different projects, Brian has been able to sharpen his writing considerably. He was always a great lyricist: now he's a great melodist, too. I'll listen to four albums in a year from him if it keeps taking him down interesting songwriting paths.
12:24 PM on 07/29/13 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
One by One has about three songs I like.

Dave Grohl doesn't seem to like that album much either.
02:32 PM on 07/29/13 
User Info.
Paulb-182
opentofire.bandcamp.com
England
Male - 25 Years Old
I can understand his frustration at people like that at gigs, but hey, you make your bed, I suppose you've got to sleep in it?
03:50 PM on 07/29/13 
User Info.
SanePsychotic
Queerkegaard
Bloomington, IN
Male - 22 Years Old
Oh, I guess Brian got pissed when the crowd started chanting 'Bruuuuce' like they wanted them to play a Bruce cover or something.

Shit, that's a major bummer. I read the blog he posted but he didn't mention exactly what happened. I'd be pissed/upset, too.
05:10 PM on 07/29/13 
User Info.
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
Brookline, MA
Male - 30 Years Old
I can understand his frustration at people like that at gigs, but hey, you make your bed, I suppose you've got to sleep in it?

Did they really make that bad, though? It seemed to be more the fans/media driving it. Sure there are some (subtle) reference points, and some blatant things like singing together on-stage or whatever but...

On the whole it seems like another case of fans and the media not being able to let something go. There were a few recent interviews that I read where it got brought up and he completely brushed it off.

Shit, that's a major bummer. I read the blog he posted but he didn't mention exactly what happened. I'd be pissed/upset, too.

Not related to this but you asked about it in another thread. The Friday show was great! The Souls played a fairly standard "greatest hits" style set with a few newer songs (Never Say Die/When You're Young, Comet, Ship in a Bottle). I would post a link to a setlist but the silly button won't click for me right now...

Gaslight had a pretty fantastic set with a fairly solid mix of songs (a few from each record, except American Slang that strangely only had one selection). Highlights included a Ramones cover, Dave Hause singing on "45," and the encore that included 1930, Mulholland Drive, Patient Ferris Wheel, Blue Jeans & White T-Shirts, and the Backseat.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos