Username
Password

06:55 PM on 04/14/13 
User Info.
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
Gainesville, FL
Male - 25 Years Old
Band had a pretty awful coachella set. Both Alex R and Alex L hit a ton of off notes throughout the set, and Alex R was off-time a lot. Brian could hardly keep on key too. Doesn't help they played a ton off of Handwritten.
11:27 AM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
Hamburglar
Jeff
Houston, TX
Male
Yeah, I just listened to some of their Coachella set.

Brian sounded awful. Like he was really struggling.
11:37 AM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
CollectiveConfusion
New York NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Verified
Yeah, I just listened to some of their Coachella set.

Brian sounded awful. Like he was really struggling.

I thought the same thing. They HAVE been touring pretty nonstop for almost a year though...
11:45 AM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
Hamburglar
Jeff
Houston, TX
Male
I thought the same thing. They HAVE been touring pretty nonstop for almost a year though...

They took a while off, maybe three or four weeks, and when I watched videos of their first shows after that he sounded great. Now, after a month or so of touring again he's back to sounding exhausted. I just don't think he has the endurance to keep up these tours. He needs a REAL break, but I think he just has so much he wants to do (solo record, side projects, etc.) that he isn't ever going to take one.
12:26 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
Paulb-182
opentofire.bandcamp.com
England
Male - 25 Years Old
I would happily live without a solo album from Brian if it means they really knuckle down on the next Gaslight album and he lets his voice recover for a while. It won't happen but I really would love to hear some of that Horrible Crowes feel put into Gaslight. Not distilled down into numerous different projects.
12:37 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
CollectiveConfusion
New York NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Verified
I would happily live without a solo album from Brian if it means they really knuckle down on the next Gaslight album and he lets his voice recover for a while. It won't happen but I really would love to hear some of that Horrible Crowes feel put into Gaslight. Not distilled down into numerous different projects.

I don't know. I'd rather keep the projects separate... TGA being the straight up "rock band", THC being a little quieter/weirder/more experimental, and the upcoming solo stuff being mostly acoustic/harmonica.
12:50 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old
Band had a pretty awful coachella set. Both Alex R and Alex L hit a ton of off notes throughout the set, and Alex R was off-time a lot. Brian could hardly keep on key too. Doesn't help they played a ton off of Handwritten.

I don't think I've ever heard of Gaslight playing a good set at a festival.

They are a band meant to be seen indoors surrounded by sweaty happy fans who are all singing along, not in a hot sticky crowd where at best half the people there have even heard of them and the other half are there just to get a good spot to see a band play three hours from now.
01:47 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
CubbyNick42
@NickDevlin
Atlanta, GA
Male - 28 Years Old

They are a band meant to be seen indoors surrounded by sweaty happy fans who are all singing along, not in a hot sticky crowd where at best half the people there have even heard of them and the other half are there just to get a good spot to see a band play three hours from now.
Couldn't you say that for every band?
01:57 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old
Couldn't you say that for every band?

I mean, in part yes. Part of why I don't go to festivals. But not every band is the "everyone singing along feeding off the energy the band creates while the band feeds off the audience energy" kind of band. Someone like say, The National, wouldn't be as good to see at a festival but the difference between festival show and venue show wouldn't be as bad.
05:30 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
Gainesville, FL
Male - 25 Years Old

Don't see how that has any influence over them hitting wrong notes and singing terribly off key. They're just not a great live band.
06:01 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
eagles1139
Male - 20 Years Old
Don't see how that has any influence over them hitting wrong notes and singing terribly off key. They're just not a great live band.

If we are just talking festivals, watched their Area 4 2012 set or their lollapalooza 2012 set and say they can't put on a great show. And anyone who has been to one of their concerts knows their potential as a live band. They will miss a few notes every now and then but that Coachella set was abnormally bad, not routinely bad.
06:04 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old

I've only heard people complain after a couple of venue shows but have heard lots of complaints about them at festivals. They are one of the best live bands in the business, they just suck at festivals because the whole selling point of Gaslight is the sing-a-longs and the energy, not that every note is played perfectly.
08:06 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
Deathco_019
I demand a trial by combat.
Limerick, PA
Male - 22 Years Old
I've only heard people complain after a couple of venue shows but have heard lots of complaints about them at festivals. They are one of the best live bands in the business, they just suck at festivals because the whole selling point of Gaslight is the sing-a-longs and the energy, not that every note is played perfectly.

Isn't that the selling point of most bands?
08:33 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
qwerty22
--
Maryland
Male
I think they used to be really good live. Although my source is youtube. It seems like they've lost it just a little bit, it can happen as bands get older. Playing shows all year can be exhausting over time.
10:01 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
ImTheSheriff
///
Male - 25 Years Old
Gaslight is great live in a small sweaty venue. And if you've never seen them live or you've only watched YouTube clips then your opinion is invalid.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos