Username
Password

08:55 PM on 06/17/14 
User Info.
jordalsh
jordalsh.wordpress.com
FL, US/Oxford, UK
Male - 20 Years Old
wait have you heard it or is that a prediction based on trends recently?
08:56 PM on 06/17/14 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
dont talk to me
St. Louis, MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
I dropped stacks on the 808s vinyl because of that artwork. People are crazy.
08:57 PM on 06/17/14 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
dont talk to me
St. Louis, MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
This album is going to be hated on sooooo very much. No matter what they do, that's the level they're at now.
The nickelback and seether comparisons pretty much solidified that lol. Apparently distortion = cock rock????
09:37 PM on 06/17/14 
User Info.
TimTheMechanic
Stay calm, keep the radio loud
Holden Beach, NC
Male - 22 Years Old
It's crazy that they've gotten that big, but that clip alone has got me really excited. Hoping they get weird with this one.
09:57 PM on 06/17/14 
User Info.
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
Wright City, MO
Male - 26 Years Old
I actively am avoiding any hype around the record, I'll listen to it once it comes out and make my own opinion of it without any hype lingering around in my head about it. Worked with the last record for me.
10:03 PM on 06/17/14 
User Info.
HogarthHughes
all hail
Male - 23 Years Old
The nickelback and seether comparisons pretty much solidified that lol. Apparently distortion = cock rock????

Any influence whatsoever from 90s alternative/hard rock immediately tends to draw Nickelback comparisons on this site. Apparently no one has heard of Pearl Jam.
10:44 PM on 06/17/14 
User Info.
CellarGhosts
Blodt°rst
Indiana
Male - 25 Years Old
This album is going to be hated on sooooo very much. No matter what they do, that's the level they're at now.
Sadly that seems to be the case already. Are people seriously levying "cock rock" accusations against them now? If anyone can say they sound like Nickleback with a straight face, I'm just going to assume that person has never listened to Nickleback. Or Gaslight. Either way, really.
10:53 PM on 06/17/14 
User Info.
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
Brookline, MA
Male - 30 Years Old
It never ceases to stun me when bands like this (who tend to evolve with each record) release an album that sounds different, fans are shocked. Brian basically said earlier, in that one quote that they didn't want to completely alienate people and sort of "lead them along" with some bits that bridge the gap. Which is something they've always done (Se˝or & The Queen is the first instance, I can think of--where the band started to shift their sound; and it served as a great "bridge" between Sink Or Swim and The '59 Sound).

Sort of like the people who were surprised by the directions A.F.I. or Thrice wound up taking later in their careers. I don't know. Maybe I overthink this shit, but it very rarely catches me off guard. (The songs do, but not the fact that the bands wrote those songs. If that makes sense.)
11:05 PM on 06/17/14 
User Info.
CellarGhosts
Blodt°rst
Indiana
Male - 25 Years Old
It never ceases to stun me when bands like this (who tend to evolve with each record) release an album that sounds different, fans are shocked. Brian basically said earlier, in that one quote that they didn't want to completely alienate people and sort of "lead them along" with some bits that bridge the gap. Which is something they've always done (Se˝or & The Queen is the first instance, I can think of--where the band started to shift their sound; and it served as a great "bridge" between Sink Or Swim and The '59 Sound).

Sort of like the people who were surprised by the directions A.F.I. or Thrice wound up taking later in their careers. I don't know. Maybe I overthink this shit, but it very rarely catches me off guard. (The songs do, but not the fact that the bands wrote those songs. If that makes sense.)
Not to mention Brian said something to the effect of him wanting their next record (i.e., this one) to be their "No Code", Pearl Jam's "experimental" record that alienated fans who wanted another "Vs" or "Vitalogy". Bums me out when people say shit like "I hope they go back to their Sink or Swim sound this time".

Like…no. Good record, great songs, but no. Bands like Gaslight grow and evolve. And they're all the better for it.
02:36 AM on 06/18/14 
User Info.
Chris Fallon
Boom.
Auburn, WA
Male - 31 Years Old
lol they're never going back to the Sink or Swim sound, and people who yearn for that are foolish. These are the same people who told Thrice to go back to The Illusion of Safety after Vheissu, as if bands don't evolve and must retreat back to their initial releases.

This was an issue when Against Me decided to make "arena rock" with Butch Vig, as if they were still a bunch of snotty 20 year olds writing songs as if they were, well, 20 YEAR OLDS! Bands are composed of people, and those people grow and change, as is reflected in their music. Those who can't adapt and evolve alongside these people and their songs can go listen to the sort of bands that get stuck in one particular sound and never try (look in the hardcore punk scene). It's been evident from the start that TGA are not that type of band, and fans like us in this thread realize that each record branches out a bit more than the one that preceded it. I'm excited for the new direction, whatever it may be.
06:05 AM on 06/18/14 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
Haha, yeah, it's just that stage of their career ... they're big enough, been around long enough, have a few (or one) "classic" albums people love enough to still check them out even if they don't like anything else by them, and are liked enough that you we'll have the "this band sucks" crowd looking for any reason to hate on them.

Gonna be a crazy album cycle.

Sad thing was that this was all happening with Handwritten as well. I remember when American Slang leaked/released how virtually everyone around here was psyched about it. Then with Handwritten it was all backlash, idiots coming into threads just to mock the band and their fans, and yep, Nickelback comparisons. Gotta love this stage of a band's career!
08:13 AM on 06/18/14 
User Info.
Circa1628
Long suffering Bills fan
Rochester, NY
Male - 27 Years Old
If this 40 seconds is any indication of the heaviness of this record, I'm excited. It sounds great!
11:58 AM on 06/18/14 
User Info.
Paulb-182
opentofire.bandcamp.com
England
Male - 25 Years Old
For a band I am so into due to their lyrics that's what concerns me the most from that clip. I've still pre-ordered anyway though.
12:10 PM on 06/18/14 
User Info.
ThePretender
London
Male - 18 Years Old
Really don't like the album artwork, and not necessarily because it's "simple".

But looking forward to new music from them.
07:58 PM on 06/19/14 
User Info.
S/T
There's a lot of buzz around Lenny
Maybe I'm the outlier here, but I can't for the life of me remember ever forming an opinion based on a clip of any length that remained the same when the full song/album was released.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos