Username
Password
Epitaph Records News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Epitaph Records
Inside AP.net

"Duug Fresh" Updates Blog

Posted by: Rohan Kohli (03/05/09)
Duug Fresh from The Higher has update his AP.net hip hop blog.
Hip Hop According to Duug FreshDisclaimer: yes i am white. I dont write grammatically correct. Im a fan of hip hop with an opinion. This isnt Hip Hop 101. what up kids?! Back again finishing out my week of Hip Hop According to Duug Fresh...2 topics this week...one i think some of you guys will be more familiar with...Emo Rap. I was reading an article in the new issue of XXL that made me think....i had honestly never heard the term "Emo-Rap" before and couldnt believe some of the names they associated with it...they brought up Kanye,new comers Charles Hamilton and Kid Cudi, even Eminem and the untouchable 'Pac....i know emo stands for emotional but the word emo and rap shouldn't be associated with each other in my opinion. 'Pac did break the barrier and have introspective songs like "Dear Mama" and "Changes" even B.I.G had "Suicidal Thoughts" and they changed the way rappers looked at rap and the content...every song didnt have to be about gang bangin and hustlin on the streets....they could rap about things around them and what they felt...even Eminem felt he could rap about emotional stuff due to 'Pac and his influence...so thank 'Pac for Marshall recording classics like "Kim" and my personal favorite "If I Had" from the Slim Shady LP...im all about hip hop doing something different and some classic tracks have come from the emotional side of hip hop but please dont call it "Emo-Rap"....and emo or not emo...listen to the new charles hamilton mixtape "Now isnt this Awkward"

Onto other things..."Illmatic" by NaS...one of the best hip hop records of all time...was made 15 years ago this april...it blows my mind that its been that long since it came out...and the influence it still has in the game today...reading up on the subject its this record that almost used the famous "Juicy" sample for the song "Life's a Bitch" before the obvious hit by B.I.G...they went with another sample of course and B.I.G made his masterpiece....NaS "Illmatic" was recorded when he was just 20 years old and even though commercially didnt do much in its first year..its cult and underground status catapulted it to what it is today..the standout track to me is "Life's a Bitch"...but everyone has their favorite..MC Serch of 3rd Bass was the one who actually signed NaS to his deal and was the executive producer on "Illmatic"...NaS will always be remembered for this record and all his other classics and being an influence to all rappers after him...yes...even Soulja Boy Tell 'Em...HIP HIP AINT DEAD!!

P.S...i gotta quote of the day: "You see me, Hi Haters" -Maino

Fresh

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
08:40 PM on 03/05/09
amour faux
FAKKEN BOOLSHET.
User Info.
good to know hip hip ain't dead.
08:43 PM on 03/05/09
zubinmoosa
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV
User Info.
Doesn't this band have a new record coming out at the end of the month? Shouldn't we be hearing about that?
09:15 PM on 03/05/09
Josh Weinstein
User Info.
print is dead.
10:40 PM on 03/05/09
ARo2431
User Info.
This guy needs to stop this shit.
10:41 PM on 03/05/09
Jason Tate
User Info.
Doesn't this band have a new record coming out at the end of the month? Shouldn't we be hearing about that?
June/July.
10:46 PM on 03/05/09
princesschad
sowing season
User Info.
Illmatic is a great album.
10:53 PM on 03/05/09
mid_westsun
starting now, I'm starting over.
User Info.
I don't think stating that you use incorrect grammar is an excuse to substitute ellipses for periods, and write at approximately a 5th grade level.

I can't even try and take this seriously.
11:24 PM on 03/05/09
FatJordan
Fat is Fashionable
User Info.
You rascally kids and your irony.
11:30 PM on 03/05/09
HometownHero
User Info.
I love hip hop but I really fucking hate this guy. he annoys me beyond belief
12:14 AM on 03/06/09
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
Illmatic is a great album.
understatement of the day.
12:21 AM on 03/06/09
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
I don't think stating that you use incorrect grammar is an excuse to substitute ellipses for periods, and write at approximately a 5th grade level.

I can't even try and take this seriously.
that and his name is actually 'duug fresh'. Dumbest nickname I've ever heard.
03:23 AM on 03/06/09
youngmountain
http://littlewaves.bandcamp.com/
User Info.
yeah, that does come across as a bit of a joke
05:04 AM on 03/06/09
zubinmoosa
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV
User Info.
I thought i was March 24th... called It's Only Natural. Guess it got pushed back.
05:39 AM on 03/06/09
PenThrive
COFFEE & TATTOOS
User Info.
Is this joke seriously trying to borrow from the name of Doug E. Fresh? He needs to simmer down.
This joke is not funny.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums