AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Clutch - Full Fathom Five [CD/DVD] Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 4.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 6.5
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 4
Reviewer Tilt 2.5
Final Verdict: 58%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Clutch - Full Fathom Five [CD/DVD]

Reviewed by: Keagan Ilvonen (03/06/09)
Clutch - Full Fathom Five [CD/DVD]
Record Label: Weathermaker Music
Release Date: September 9, 2008

Everyoneís life goes through changes, whether they be the clothes you wear, the people you hang out with, or the music you listen to. I have to admit that at one point in my life I enjoyed Clutch. Iím not exactly sure why as I look back now. But as the saying goes, with age comes wisdom. I can happily say I have become wiser thanks to Full Fathom Five.

Clutch is a Canadian rock band that mixes many sub rock genres to make a big mess. Eventually there comes a time when people realize they need to grow up and act somewhat mature, but Iím not sure the members of Clutch have reached this day yet. Songs about smoking weed and getting drunk sang by middle-aged men use to be amusing when I was 13 because that was what I wished I was doing. Now when I hear those kinds of songs by bands like Clutch I cringe. Full Fathom Five is a live CD/DVD of recordings taken from various shows, and it's far from good. The whole 95 minutes seems like it is one endless song that has no end in sight. If I had to pick one complaint out of many, it would be the lyrics/singing. Vocalist Neil Fallonís voice seems as if it canít get any more monotonous and boring. A good 95% of the time you can hardly understand what heís saying, which makes this release totally intolerable for me. I was hoping that because this is shot in a few different places that Fallon may have had an off night in the beginning, but this isnít the case. His voice goes unchanged in every venue, although I feel as if I must give credit where credit is due - the rest of the band is spot on with everything they play, and the actual instrumental aspect sounds great. But sadly one part can bring the whole group down, and thatís the case here. Full Fathom Five proves that after you have had a couple beers in your system you can get excited about anything.

Its obvious that my tastes have just changed from what they use to be. I believe that the changes I make in my everyday life such as my underwear, contacts, and music I listen to are for the better, while Iím sure others will disagree. But I guess thatís what music is for.

I would only recommend this to die hard fans of the band that feel they need to own everything Clutch has ever put out. Aside from that I would try to steer away from this album and go with a studio album you can possibly enjoy.

Recommended If You LikeViva La Bam bands; middle-aged men; nice beards

myspace.com/clutchband

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8.
04:17 PM on 03/14/09
YouSmellExcited
those who can't do run AP.net ;)
User Info.
ew
06:53 PM on 03/14/09
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Basically.
05:14 PM on 03/15/09
JTMcKrackles
I'm not sad anymore
User Info.
I disagree with this review. All of the material on it is great, but I don't feel it's really representative of the live Clutch experience.
05:50 PM on 03/15/09
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
I thought the band was great minus the singing. I couldn't take it. Maybe that's just me, but I would hope their live show is better then what this DVD showed.
09:45 AM on 03/16/09
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.
um, Clutch are from Baltimore dude. not Canada.

they've been around since 1991 and have released 8 full length studio albums.

and they kick ass. Neil's voice is either something you love or hate. their roots are in metal, so that expalins the gruffness of his vocals. they used to be even more gruff, now he sings more. they've developed a sweet blues/rock hybrid sound over the years that is quite original. their guitar riffs are amazing. talented guys. good live but not much stage presence.

i wouldn't expect the kids on this website to appreciate or understand this kind of music as it does not involve girl jeans or keytars.
09:50 AM on 03/16/09
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.
also, they have very few lyrics about "smoking weed and getting drunk". the reviewer has clearly never listened to Clutch prior to this review. what a shithead.

The lyrics of Clutch songs have progressed from early releases that were marked with an angry, serious tone to latter releases that are characterized by intelligence, wordplay, and subtle humor. The songs make frequent references to history, mythology, pop-culture and religion. for example, "I Have the Body of John Wilkes Booth", from the 1995 self-titled album, tells the story of a fisherman who discovers the corpse of Lincoln's assasin in the susquehanna river.

The lyrics also contain some surrealist imagery, as in this quote from Robot Hive/Exodus's "Burning Beard": "Every time I look out my window/ same three dogs looking back at me. Every time I open my windows/ cranes fly in to terrorize me."

but yea, they're about "weed and getting drunk". you stupid kid.
09:43 AM on 03/20/09
CowboyDan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I agree with the last poster. Clutch is awesome. Of course, anything that doesn't have a bunch of shitty dudes with neck tattoos, v-neck shirts, and flatironed hair automatically gets a low score. Clutch is and will always be a fringe band, and never will be an "it" band, but they will be around a lot longer than Cute Is What We Aim For and The Cab.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS