Album Review

Winston Audio - The Red Rhythm Album Cover

Winston Audio - The Red Rhythm

Reviewed by
Winston Audio - The Red Rhythm
Release Date: February 10, 2009
Record Label: Favorite Gentlemen

The Red Rhythm
is the first full-length from Winston Audio, a Georgia quintet that’s a updating the best parts of 90’s alternative rock. You get the loud, wailing guitar infrastructures and huge choruses and verses, but you also get the confidence of major alternative rock groups that made music to make music and, which has nearly all been forgotten, make a statement (even though I don’t think Winston Audio aimed to make a “statement record”, know what I mean?). Coming in spills from vocalist and bass player Daniel Dewitt, who sounds giftedly similar to Chris Cornell, there are themes of religion, social un-grace, human nature and rebellion.

But these guys aren’t just creating grungy tour de forces with your standard mix of distortion and a frontman’s brawny cry. “Keeping It Down” features background vocals from Andy Hull of Manchester Orchestra, stirring up a well-meshed holler on holler sauce for the roaring percussion and speedy melody. On track four, titled “Hey Ann”, trumpet parts are adding a whole other layer of grime (the good kind, the alternative kind). Between the paths where the guitars ride their mini cusps and this surprising twist of a horn, the song takes on an intensity that weeps and moans. But hey, we’re still manly here.

And that’s what’s magnetic about the strength of Winston Audio. On “Devil’s Bed”, one of the heaviest and most power-hungry tracks on the album, lyrics like “I’ve got a chip on my shoulder that’s bigger than / The mountains you said my belief could move / Far be it from me to question your methods / But how could you save me from drowning asleep on the shore?” are so much more than a reaction to the song’s handsome masculinity. Following “Devil’s Bed” is “Action Reaction”, a softer number. It’s one of the most unforgettable of the album; Dewitt croons the line - “if you push, we’ll push back / violence is the only way we react” - that after many, many listens remains one of the most golden passes on the entire release.

Even so, there are still more moments where The Red Rhythm requires a step back, or at least a quick rewind. Dewitt’s curvature of notes and words is instinctual and so natural that no verse or phrase on the album is without a bit of that aforementioned confidence. His lyrics, his delivery, and the rest of the band, with their streamlined ferocity and proper bits of flair, are doing it right. But they knew that already.

RIYLAudioslave, Incubus, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Colour Revolt, Manchester Orchestra
Additional InfoAP.net Profile | Myspace | iTunes | Amazon MP3 | Last.fm
This review is a user submitted review from Julia Conny. You can see all of Julia Conny's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
01:26 AM on 03/07/09
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Before I get slaughtered for putting Manchester Orchestra and Nirvana in the same RIYL, I just want to say that that was mainly because of the Andy Hull guest vocals and that the new MO album has the same kind of intensity this album does.

That is all. Enjoy.
06:19 AM on 03/07/09
blebbio
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
A lot of people overlooked this album. I really like it. Good review.
08:37 AM on 03/07/09
saving jonathan
everything in transit
User Info.
Before I get slaughtered for putting Manchester Orchestra and Nirvana in the same RIYL, I just want to say that that was mainly because of the Andy Hull guest vocals and that the new MO album has the same kind of intensity this album does.

That is all. Enjoy.
(Slaughters)

Muahaha. I don't curr anywayz. I'm a sucker for the 90's so I'll probably check this.
09:47 AM on 03/07/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I dig this. This is some really good stuff. And I love the album art.
10:23 AM on 03/07/09
patpratt
test
User Info.
really great album. nice review.
09:37 AM on 03/08/09
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.

That is all. Enjoy.
Manchester Orchestra are miles better than Nirvana anyway. I never really understood the fuss about the latter.
Do I get to be viciously slaughtered as well?
10:49 AM on 03/08/09
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
Color Me Persuaded.
03:52 PM on 03/08/09
popofeliz
Maybe They Will Sing Us Tomorrow
User Info.
winton audio's EP "come on hibernate" is amazing, check it out also
05:30 PM on 03/08/09
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
A lot of people overlooked this album. I really like it. Good review.
Understandably overlooked - this is only their first full-length. But I hope people give a chance.
05:41 PM on 03/08/09
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
I dig this. This is some really good stuff. And I love the album art.

Ah, awesome. Check the staff forum (because you can now!!! woooo!!).

really great album. nice review.

Thanks!

Manchester Orchestra are miles better than Nirvana anyway. I never really understood the fuss about the latter.
Do I get to be viciously slaughtered as well?

Those are fightin' words!

I could listen to Manchester all day everyday and it would probably be years before I tired of it. Nirvana ... not so much, but you know, they're NIRVANA, the band that really bridged the gap between the underground and mainstream, empowering an entire class of disconnected youth. It's hard not to respect them.

But don't worry, I'll have your back.
05:48 PM on 03/08/09
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
(Slaughters)

Muahaha. I don't curr anywayz. I'm a sucker for the 90's so I'll probably check this.
You'd like this, I think.

Miss you boo.
06:25 PM on 03/08/09
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
Good review as always. As always I need to check this out now.
06:35 PM on 03/08/09
KingJohn_654
You've Got Spiders
User Info.
i really like how you called them masculine. that cant be said about a lot of musicians these days.
07:17 PM on 03/08/09
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
i really like how you called them masculine. that cant be said about a lot of musicians these days.
'Ppreciate it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version