AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

The Number Twelve Looks Like You - Worse Than... Album Cover

The Number Twelve Looks Like You - Worse Than...

Reviewed by
The Number Twelve Looks Like You - Worse Than Alone
Record Label: Eyeball Records
Release Date: March 10, 2009
I'm not really sure what options I have with this review.

I mean, if you've ever heard The Number Twelve Looks Like You, you know that they're simply unpredictable. They're called grindcore, mathcore, metalcore, etc-core, but each of those titles does them an injustice in one way or another. They don't have the ridiculously precarious monotony of grind, nor that genre's insistance on churning out music with absolutely no real merit. Mathcore really only suits them sometimes, and metalcore tends to forget their unpredictability and unique heaviness. You also know that they combine strange, yet interesting "clean" vocals with intense spots of unbridled psychotic heaviness, only relenting to add in another dose of oddness before throwing together a ridiculously powerful breakdown or unfathomably technical solo.

And if you've even heard of The Number Twelve Looks Like You you've got an understanding that their work is somewhat infamous. Of course, most people that pick up an album like Mongrel and listen don't really know what's going on at first, and though they're sure to dislike it initially, they can learn to love it if they continue to listen. Worse Than Alone is even more so like this, and while even fans of the band may initially dislike it, it's sure to grow on just about anyone who's a fan of heavy music. And those damn old fans, if they don't like it because maybe, just maybe, The Number Twelve pulled some of the oddness out of this one, they really won't know what they're missing. I mean, sure, it's not nearly as odd as their previous works, and they may use quite a bit more experimentation within their sound, but they've definitely gone leaps and bounds further than Mongrel. If the psychotic musicianship doesn't pull you in, the even more psychotic vocals have to. Who can resist a band that can sing, scream, and hey, even just speak? It's really them combining all of these that give it that special charm, though.

Even if someone doesn't know The Number Twelve, how can they ignore the eccentricies of Worse Than Alone, even without a review for it? People can throw the word "weird" around all they want, but this album is more captivating than anything, and it's actually a lot more accessible than their other works, so quite a few people should be able to get into it. Seriously, I'd love to see someone ignore the completely schizophrenic arrangement of tracks like "Glory Kingdom" or "Marvin's Jungle." Oh, and come on: no one can listen to the first minute of "If They Holler, Don't Let Go" and not be intrigued by the chant's escalation into an unbelievably cool breakdown. And of course, just like their other albums, it's nearly impossible to ignore the dizzying rhythms they spew forth from both the unbelievable drumming and ultra-quick guitar parts during "Retort, Rebuild, Remind" and the like tracks. If they're not hooked yet, one listen to the unbelievable closer, "I'll Make My Own Hours," where The Number Twelve runs through every trick they've learned throughout the course of the album, and they're sure to be dragged in by the enormous escalations, crushing breakdowns and odd, yet unbelievable, musicianship.

I only wish I could think of a way to review Worse Than Alone. It sure could use the hype.

Recommended If You LikeThe Number Twelve, duh; Heavy Heavy Low Low; Hesus Attor

myspace.com/tntllu
This review is a user submitted review from Klatzke. You can see all of Klatzke's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
06:09 PM on 03/15/09
LongDistanceDrunk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
No offense but I found your review lacking and unfocused. Usually I like your reviews but I prefer Drew's over yours. Regardless this is an amazing album. I actually thinks its their weirdest yet but also their most accessible like you said. After many listens I love this album and its in constant rotation. The #12 never disappoint and churn out awesome album after awesome album
08:15 PM on 03/15/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
No offense but I found your review lacking and unfocused. Usually I like your reviews but I prefer Drew's over yours. Regardless this is an amazing album. I actually thinks its their weirdest yet but also their most accessible like you said. After many listens I love this album and its in constant rotation. The #12 never disappoint and churn out awesome album after awesome album
I had to go somewhere that wasn't just the standard review with this one after Drew's though, so this is what happened. haha.
02:05 AM on 03/18/09
the daniel
Colors
User Info.
good review dude, i liked it. you pretty much completed the job of summing up the album as a whole. i love your reviews, keep it up!
01:52 PM on 03/18/09
x13looDx
User Info.
don't like this band, they confuse me
07:49 PM on 03/19/09
erjmkn
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
nice review man, and musically it's ridiculous how much they've improved as individual musicians but also their creativity as a band.

took me one listen to win me over, this album is certainly in my favorites.
10:04 AM on 03/21/09
batmannj
"No more half measures Walt"
User Info.
good review of a really solid record. Thanks for the recommendation.
08:10 AM on 03/24/09
nickthehick2
King of France
User Info.
Quote:
don't like this band, they confuse me

this
08:55 AM on 03/25/09
dhelmick
User Info.
this album is the "hardest" album in my opinion from the band. ( ive only heard nuclear, mongrel, and this one) it still has the moments when its just hard to believe what you are hearing. they have the little "jazzy" breakdowns that seem out of place but at the same time so perfect then its back to relentless rocking. i like this album but it doesnt quite stick with me the way mongrel does. overall it is good but it doesnt have any stand out tracks for me
11:51 PM on 04/03/09
Klatzke
User Info.
this album is the "hardest" album in my opinion from the band. ( ive only heard nuclear, mongrel, and this one) it still has the moments when its just hard to believe what you are hearing. they have the little "jazzy" breakdowns that seem out of place but at the same time so perfect then its back to relentless rocking. i like this album but it doesnt quite stick with me the way mongrel does. overall it is good but it doesnt have any stand out tracks for me
"If They Holler, Don't Let Them Go"
08:23 PM on 06/14/09
chelseaxsmilexD
AP.net's official punching bag
User Info.
i've only heard "TO CATCH A TIGER" on music choice... but i'm sykeeeddd
12:51 PM on 06/18/09
dhelmick
User Info.
"If They Holler, Don't Let Them Go"
i have changed my opinion im not too sure which songs are which cause i usually just listen to it in my car and dont have time to check track names but after a few listens i really do love a lot of these songs....probably the whole album
12:57 PM on 06/18/09
Klatzke
User Info.
i have changed my opinion im not too sure which songs are which cause i usually just listen to it in my car and dont have time to check track names but after a few listens i really do love a lot of these songs....probably the whole album
Suhweeeeet.
02:48 PM on 07/02/09
chelseaxsmilexD
AP.net's official punching bag
User Info.
the lack of posts on this amazing album is an insult.
12:21 PM on 07/06/09
dhelmick
User Info.
the lack of posts on this amazing album is an insult.
id have to agree. other albums that are terrible have like 10 pages. kind of upsetting

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos