AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
No Bragging Rights - The Consequence of Dreams Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 7
Production 8.25
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 9.5
Production 10
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 96%
Inside AP.net

No Bragging Rights - The Consequence of Dreams

Reviewed by: Klatzke (03/10/09)
No Bragging Rights - The Consequence of Dreams
Record Label: Pure Noise Entertainment
Release Date: March 3, 2009

Can you say "blindsided?" Literally out of nowhere, No Bragging Rights' The Consequence of Dreams has solidified a spot in my daily album rotation. I'd never heard of them until very recently, and I had no clue their album was coming out until a few weeks before the date. That obviously didn't cheapen the thrill, however, and the lack of hype didn't end up costing me anything as far as enjoyability goes.

No Bragging Rights has combined the instant accessibility of A Day to Remember, the soaring verses of Emarosa, and the vicious yet catchy breakdowns of Lower Definition to create an album that hits fast, hard, and doesn't let up. On paper I guess they're "post-hardcore," but they've combined elements of that genre, the whole "pop-core" trend (sans synth), and quite a bit of metalcore to create an album that's at least fresh in its innovations. There's not really anything lacking in this album; the guitarists stay strong and actually mix it up quite a bit for an album in this genre, the vocalist is extremely powerful, and they've got a natural knack for writing catchy songs. The vocalist, Mike Perez, isn't entirely unlike Jonny Craig (Dance Gavin Dance, Emarosa) or Zack Dawson (Akissforjersey), if only in the way that his voice orchestrates the tracks through the soaring choruses and his general style of singing. However, though Craig may have the stronger voice, Perez has more hooks locked into The Consequence of Dreams than Craig does in his entire discography. The guitar work is extremely interesting. While they may sometimes fall into the chug-chug categories, they switch it up constantly and each track proves to have another variation in store.

Throughout the album, the tracks stay strong. There's not really a single song that seems like filler, and though they all sound somewhat alike they're by no means clones of one another. "To the People I Consider Cowards" is one of the heavy hitters and gets at you right at the bat, while "Ode to Logan" is easily the standout track from the album. It's here however, where I feel obliged to mention the unbelievably similarity between the breakdown riff they use in the last twenty or so seconds of their song and the exact same riff used on the title track of Oceana's The Tide from last year. However, this can be overlooked, and in the long run of the album they tend to gravitate away from the constant overuse of single breakdowns or generic ones. In fact, most of theirs are rather innovative, combining technical guitar work with the more generic of the breakdowns to create something fresh.

This album hit me from absolutely nowhere. I had no idea it was coming, and the first couple of listens didn't really do it justice. It wasn't until the album hooked me that I really got it, and now I can see this album actually making quite a lasting impression. It's rare that I can actually call an album in this genre fresh, but The Consequence of Dreams really is.

Recommended If You LikeAkissforjersey; Paddock Park; Emarosa; Lower Definition; A Day to Remember; Oceana; Stick to Your Guns; Dance Gavin Dance

myspace.com/nobraggingrights

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
05:19 PM on 03/16/09
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.

How have I never heard of this band?
06:20 PM on 03/16/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.

How have I never heard of this band?
EXACTLY!!!!!!
05:51 PM on 03/17/09
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
I felt the same way!
Until Andrew (Klatzke) introduced me to No Bragging Rights.
06:27 PM on 03/17/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
I felt the same way!
Until Andrew (Klatzke) introduced me to No Bragging Rights.
I try I try
09:37 AM on 08/01/10
lonewolfhayato
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I heard their old stuff a few years ago
and I thought it was decent...
completely forgot about them

somehow TCofD popped up and I gave it a listen
and they are literally one of my fav bands now
and a big influence on my playing
definitely a breath of fresh air!