Album Review
Some Call Me the Poet - Love Out Loud EP Album Cover

Some Call Me the Poet - Love Out Loud EP

Reviewed by
Some Call Me the Poet - Love Out Loud EP
Record Label: None
Release Date: March 2, 2009
Who?

Some Call Me the Poet, a pop-punk outfit from Connecticut who have released their newest EP for free download on their Myspace (check the end of the review for a link).

How is it?

This EP's five songs are a dramatic improvement over the band's full-length, which I reviewed over the summer. "All Our Friends" starts out with an instrumental section that would fit on any Hot Water Music album. The vocals, which have also been tightened and improved, are much more palatable and accessible. The lead guitar is also more prominent in the mix, which allows it to actually be heard when it should be. And these lead sections are very much something worth hearing; the reverb-laden lead in "Magnet" and the straight-up shredding in "Get Down" showcase superior musicianship on the part of Some Call Me the Poet, and the whole release is packed with this sort of playing. Even the acoustic finale, "Breathe In," which is without a doubt the weakest song here, has something interesting to offer, sporting female vocals and harmonies that add to the texture and nuance of this mournful album closer. That isn't to say that this EP is perfect; though Love Out Loud has expanded upon the sound presented on Come Summer, it still leaves some breadth to be desired. The band have the chops to deliver, though, and there are moments where they absolutely do. Some Call Me the Poet have further refined their sound, and if this EP is any indication, the band should soon be able to perfect and crystallize that sound.

Recommended If You LikeNorthstar; Taking Back Sunday; The Movielife; Jimmy Eat World

myspace.com/somecallmethepoet
This review is a user submitted review from The Personist. You can see all of The Personist's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
01:08 PM on 03/19/09
Adrian Villagomez
The Sword the Anvil the Stone
User Info.
I enjoy your once-over reviews.
04:44 PM on 03/23/09
John is a cult
insidethetargetcar.bandca mp.com
User Info.
I've seen this band alot back when I lived in CT
really good live act.
10:52 AM on 04/17/09
aoftbsten
Go Buffs.
User Info.
I love this stuff, just listened and i have to listen again. There are some gem lyrics on here.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos