AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
This Providence - Who Are You Now? Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7.25
Production 7.75
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.99
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7.35
Production 7.6
Creativity 7.2
Lasting Value 7.36
Reviewer Tilt 7.93
Average: 76%
Inside AP.net

This Providence - Who Are You Now?

Reviewed by: Travis Parno (03/13/09)
This ProvidenceWho Are You Now?
Record Label: Fueled by Ramen
Release Date: March 17, 2009

J.J. Abrams, eat your heart out.

Just like an episode of everyone’s favorite island mystery-drama, Who Are You Now?, the latest full-length from Seattle’s emo-rock darlings, seems to beg many more questions than it answers. It’s a well established fact that This Providence have a history of challenging pop norms with their flair for glistening hooks and undeniable swagger, but they seemed to have missed a step with 2008’s The Bright Lights EP. Given that the aforementioned EP contributed three tracks to Who Are You Now?, the first mystery quickly floated to the surface: what would this release bring to the table?

The answer is, not surprisingly, a mixed bag. Songs run the gamut from danceable and addictive (“Selfish”) to simple, straightforward rock (“Letdown”) to anemic and uncharacteristically drab (“This Is The Real Thing”). Although this isn’t entirely unexpected (no one’s perfect, right? Well, other than Brand New, of course…), what is naggingly persistent is the question of why The Bright Lights EP was rehashed in the first place. “Waste Myself” is a strong effort, but “My Beautiful Rescue (Renovated)” is still just as dull and plodding as ever and although “Sand In Your Shoes” fades to the background within the thirteen track deluge, it’s still pretty vacant.

Another pop quiz: where has that smug smile gone? This mindbender is one of the most alarming trends in the band’s recent history and it certainly can be applied to Who Are You Now?. Tempos drag, self-confidence seems to have lessened, and that cocksure attitude just isn’t present. They come close with the pep of “That Girl’s A Trick,” which is essentially “Card House Dreamer v2.0,” but it somehow doesn’t fit into the album’s big picture. We’re left to chew on the dancehall indie of “Squeaking Wheels And White Light” and it isn’t enough to fill us up.

The most stunning puzzle of all, however, is where some of these tunes have been hiding. There’s an obvious style change that, up until now, has been played off as something of a fall from grace, but in truth, with change comes at least a bit of beauty. For instance, “Chasing The Wind” is certainly one of the best songs the band has penned to date. With an inventive melody backed by a compelling juxtaposition of strings, acoustic guitar, and electric riffs, the song highlights vocalist Dan Young’s acrobatic range. The album closer, “Somebody To Talk To,” could be an Ace Enders b-side. There’s far more twang than we’ve heard from This Providence and its wistfully intimate lyrics somehow feel like the anthem of middle America. It’s a success, through and through. Also, as strange as it may be to say it, “Sure as Hell” is one of the best introductory songs in recent memory. Its dark reverb and pained confessions would easily fit the Deja Entendu vibe and its short, uncomplicated structure is just enough to whet the appetite.

At the end of the day, we don’t actually have to ask “who are you now.”The latest episode from This Providence has revealed the direction of the entire show. The band is clearly transitioning towards a grander, stadium-friendly version of their former selves, which will undoubtedly leave a lot of their fans asking some pretty significant questions. The change isn’t all bad and hopefully, as This Providence move forward and grow accustomed to their new digs, there will be fewer questions and more great music.

Track List1. Sure As Hell
2. Letdown
3. Waste Myself
4. This is the Real Thing
5. Keeping On Without You
6. Squeaking Wheels and White Light
7. My Beautiful Rescue (Renovated)
8. That Girl’s a Trick
9. Selfish
10. Chasing the Wind
11. Playing the Villain
12. Sand in Your Shoes
13. Somebody To Talk To

Give it a try if you like…Valencia; October Fall; Daphne Loves Derby; Waking Ashland

Hear it on the internetzOfficial Myspace | Official Website

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 66
10:07 AM on 03/13/09
jusscali
EMO REVIVAL IS FOR BITCHES
User Info.
You are a kind one Mr. Parno.
10:07 AM on 03/13/09
kigginsthisprov
themichaelkiggins.tumblr. com
User Info.
Good review. I love this album. With a couple of listens, it's totally grown on me now. It's been on repeat for a day straight. But I definitely think Chasing The Wind and Somebody To Talk To are my favorite songs on the album, no doubt. They never fail to disappoint me.
10:10 AM on 03/13/09
DungeonsnDragon
User Info.
kinda wanted the album to sound more "that girls a trick" but I still like it.
10:11 AM on 03/13/09
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Mmmm, a Lost reference. You're my kind of man.
10:13 AM on 03/13/09
jusscali
User Info.
Mmmm, a Lost reference. You're my kind of man.
Ha. I thought the exact opposite.

It's an interesting write up, but I'd probably lower all of the above scores, and give it anywhere between a 55-62% Three songs, plus one good EP song aren't enough to warrant much higher in my eyes.

They get 35% for Sure as Hell...that seems fair.
10:16 AM on 03/13/09
TheHeretic
User Info.
'Chasing the Wind' is a great song and definitely the most interesting on the album. After one whole listen through, I don't think it's (nearly) as good as their two last albums, but it's still very enjoyable and very, very infectious. It's just a little generic, with the exception of a few songs.
10:19 AM on 03/13/09
Broclee
Dude, this is so Inception.
User Info.
I love the self-titled, actually haven't really listened to the EP, and I haven't listened to anything from this yet either.
10:39 AM on 03/13/09
Samc1803
NO WORMS ON THE BED.
User Info.
Ha. I thought the exact opposite.

It's an interesting write up, but I'd probably lower all of the above scores, and give it anywhere between a 55-62% Three songs, plus one good EP song aren't enough to warrant much higher in my eyes.

They get 35% for Sure as Hell...that seems fair.
What is so special about Sure As Hell? I might be missing something, but there doesn't seem to be much to it.
10:41 AM on 03/13/09
dan sings
Exactly, right!?
User Info.
i find it difficult to like the verses of the new my beautiful rescue but the chorus and the bridge are really good.
10:44 AM on 03/13/09
spansen
and then what happens?
User Info.
good writeup
10:52 AM on 03/13/09
jusscali
User Info.
What is so special about Sure As Hell? I might be missing something, but there doesn't seem to be much to it.
Someone with a Wolftron avatar should know these things!
11:01 AM on 03/13/09
Nick Le
Yeezy taught me.
User Info.
Good review. Loved their second album. Didn't like the EP all too much. I'll be checking this out.
11:04 AM on 03/13/09
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.

too bad santi was fantastic and actually a good listen.

both ratings on this is WAY too nice. only 2 or 3 songs i liked. id give it probably a 50%. to me, you put lipstick and dress up a pig but its still a pig. same applies here. i dont care how good production quality is (that deserves a 10 yes) but the songs are just lame. that "Edge" the self titled had is gone and now we can expect tours sponsered by MTV with this providence, all time low, and metro station. sweet!

and i have no problem with them "blowing up" so to speak, im not that fan, but i do have a problem when it sounds like theyre converting their sound to "blow up" and thats all i hear here. i guess we still got OWD and s/t.

side note:
i miss gatsby so damn much...
11:19 AM on 03/13/09
jallred11
User Info.
Mark my words. These guys will be a huge in a year.

They will get much more success with a record like this. I believe there will be a lot of fans who liked "Our Worlds Divorce" and "Self Titled" that won't be really into this Album. But these guys will get a larger fan base and finally get the success they deserve.

This is the start of something grand. These guys deserve to be playing larger venues to larger crowds. I for one loved the "Bright Lights" EP. I guess I'm just a sucker for a good hook. Great job guys. Keep the good music coming and I'll keep buying.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums