Password

Album Review

Turned Up Missing - This Morning, Electric Album Cover

Turned Up Missing - This Morning, Electric

Reviewed by
Turned Up Missing - This Morning, Electric
Record Label: None
Release Date: July 17, 2008
When Turned Up Missing says it's time for summer, it's time for summer. The Oregon indie/powerpop band's This Morning, Electric evokes warm weather every corner it rounds, dishing nonchalant tunes like a nonchalant tune Pez dispenser. Original, the album is not; satisfyingly infectious and singalong commanding it is. All discernment of whether a song is a quality track or a carelessly amalgamated scene popper is lost as This Morning, Electric spends its time spreading catchy, brainwashing entertainment.

"I've Got Some Friends" is the kickoff with its smart-aleck motif "I've got some friends / We all get drunk on weekends / And never again speak of what was said that night"; its guitars are so optimistic, they allow room to confuse the track for a Christmas ballad (not that this is a negative thing). "All Your Seasons" immediately brings to mind a This Providence vibe, whereas "Go And Get It" drips with Panic At the Disco-esque dance potential. "Trouble In Hill Valley" revisits the This Providence sound, while "Something About the Movies" is comparable to The Real You's works. The remaining tracks are noticeably worse in production quality due to them being from an older album, but they manage to re-cover all the bases the previous tracks touched on in terms of sound.

An album (or band for that matter) that allows their influences show so blatantly in their music should be written off easily, but Turned Up Missing is not one of those bands; while they certainly rehash some significant elements, they manage to do so in a manner that disarms criticism. In all interest of benefit, cut out the summer powerpop scavenger and grab yourself some This Morning, Electric. Prepare to not be disappointed.

Recommended If You LikeThis Providence; Panic At the Disco; The Real You; The Rocket Summer

Check them out on Myspace.
This review is a user submitted review from Matthew Tsai. You can see all of Matthew Tsai's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
12:56 PM on 03/21/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
I almost reviewed this and passed on it. To me it just seemed kind of bland. However, great review.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos