Password

Album Review

Odds - Cheerleader Album Cover

Odds - Cheerleader

Reviewed by
Odds - Cheerleader
Record Label: Second Motion Records
Release Date: January 20, 2009
Cheerleader sounds like exactly what it is: A classic rock revivalist effort from a 22-year-old band.

Songs like “Write It In Lighting” and “Out Of Mind” sound ridiculously reminiscent '70s-era rockers like REO Speedwagon and Little River Band, except without the masterful songwriting of either band. Gary Richrath probably wouldn't play this for his grandchildren. Attempts at being “hip” and “new” are epic failures in lyrics like “Was it just on the iPod?” “Breakthrough” recalls Jet, who themselves want to be a '70s band. It's never good when you have to resort to copying a band like Jet, who have made their entire career on the fact that they sound like a good bar band.

There are high points, however - “Jumper” sounds uncannily like a good Paul Simon song, and “River is Cried” sounds like it could be the theme song to “Degrassi: The Next-er Generation.” (Hey, Odds are Canadian. “Leaders of the Undersea World” could've been on How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb).

But that's really it. Aside from “Jumper,” none of the songs would stand out in its own right. It's not a bad album, but it's incredibly bland, and you've heard it all before on classic rock radio. In a black-and-white world, this album is a very mediated shade of gray. Nothing here is prolific, and it feels like a half-assed attempt from some old farts who don't care anymore. I just can't help but think that My Bloody Valentine is as old as these guys.

These guys should just stay away from Cheerleaders, lest they feel up for a guest appearance on “To Catch A Predator.”

Recommended If You LikeREO Speedwagon; Wings without creativity; your parents' music

ddsmusic.com
This review is a user submitted review from TachyonEvan. You can see all of TachyonEvan's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
09:41 AM on 04/03/09
Jefferson Rank
I know tricks like Chris Angel.
User Info.
You suck. This review is awful.

I hate you. I love this band.
11:01 AM on 04/05/09
TachyonEvan
Batman, for example, and Magellan.
User Info.
You suck. This review is awful.