Password

Album Review

Andy and Me - Split Ourselves EP Album Cover

Andy and Me - Split Ourselves EP

Reviewed by
Andy and Me - Split Ourselves EP
Record Label: One Mile Challenge
Release Date: January 24, 2008
Andy and Me is a band formerly based out of Boston and now residing in Portland. The Split Ourselves EP requires patience as the recording quality doesn't exactly please the ears and each track is accurately defined by mediocrity. The EP is also plagued by lackluster vocals that make a sad attempt at convincing me to feel the lyrics. Granted it is an EP from a small label, so they have some leeway to work with, albeit it’s not much. Production wise, you can hardly hear Aaron over the drums and guitar, leading me to dislike some tracks more, because I enjoy hearing the lyrics to a song every once in awhile. There isn’t anything new and spectacular to see here, but with some refining and polishing, Andy and Me could make some noise in the indie music scene.

The EP leads off with “Little Calloway Once Said With Friends Like You, Who Needs Friends!?”, which is a fine example of the bad production work lining the CD. As the second best track on the EP, it does a good job of illustrating what the listener can expect to hear for 34 minutes. Something I do like about each track is it’s hard to predict the direction of the song. They aren’t structured with typical choruses and verses. The music plays along to the lyrics with almost a monologue-esque feel, although again, I wish I could make out what they were.

There’s a lot of filler here until “I Totally Owe Nate $1000 Because of You”. This track showcases the talent inherent in Andy and Me, and as such, it is the strongest track on the EP. Listeners who want to give these guys a chance should start here to get a feel for the album.

The EP ends with an eight minute buildup, “cRoc sPAr”. A slow moving song at first, the acoustic guitar eventually leads into a synth sliding into a multi-faceted vocal stint. All in all the Split Ourselves EP describes the potentiality of a band that needs serious refining before it makes any substantial music. I understand this is an EP and I may have been a little harsh, but with some constructive polishing I could easily get excited for the next release from Andy and Me.

Recommended If You LikeThe Elliot Project; The Modern Day Saint; you aren't bothered by the recording quality of demos

myspace.com/andyandme
This review is a user submitted review from drivethru715. You can see all of drivethru715's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version