Password

Album Review

The Static Jacks - Bridges and Tunnels EP Album Cover

The Static Jacks - Bridges and Tunnels EP

Reviewed by
The Static Jacks - Bridges and Tunnels EP
Record Label: Self-Released
Release Date: Oct. 17, 2008
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Who?
The Static Jacks are five 18-year-olds from Westfield, NJ, who have been hailed as the next coming of The Strokes.

How is it?
The EP kicks off with the jagged guitar lines of "Resistance/Self Control," which seems to take its inspiration from Interpol's Antics and uses the lines, "So give up on hope, has found your dreams. Resistance is as resistance seems. Nothing's gonna happen if you stay or go." Backed by a jittery rhythm section, urgency and caution have never sounded this uplifting. Second track "Fire on the Bridge And in the Tunnel Below," is a chance to let the band show off it's penchant for pop hooks as the indelible chorus packs one helluva wallop. Third track "Stay a Lover," is the real gem, as vocalist Ian Devaney takes center stage with a soulful vocal delivery as he sputters out "It was a crime of passion, under my own fashion and I couldn't escape it."

Devaney has a confident and assured way of delivering his lines, as if he knows every second is a chance for his close up. While he sings over the jittery guitars and the meticulous rhythm section, its hard to resist the urge to dance. Moreover, it's hard to deny that this band is having fun every step of the way. Each song drips with energy, enthusiasm and charisma. Yes, at heart these are raw and gritty songs, but they are performed with sound execution and an experience that belies their age. There is a calculated precision and merriment that is packed into each minute of each of the four songs. Even when he sings of a lover "burning up his sheets," there's something about this music that remains perpetually happy.

Recommended If You LikeThe Strokes, Interpol, Cold War Kids

Official Website Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
10:31 AM on 02/08/11
Moritz421
childhood is a joke
User Info.
where can one even find this album?

I've been looking.

I'm in love with Laces
12:43 PM on 02/08/11
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
where can one even find this album?

I've been looking.

I'm in love with Laces
Go to the Web site and email the band. They'll hook you up. Cheers.
11:03 PM on 02/09/11
Moritz421
childhood is a joke
User Info.
Go to the Web site and email the band. They'll hook you up. Cheers.
how do you feel about Laces?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version