Password

Album Review

Twelve Gauge Valentine - Shock Value Album Cover

Twelve Gauge Valentine - Shock Value

Reviewed by
Twelve Gauge Valentine - Shock Value
Record Label: Solid State Records
Release Date: October 3, 2006
I didn't actually own Twelve Gauge Valentine's 2006 debut album, Shock Value, until early 2008. I'd heard of the band, and had been debating about buying it back and forth for a few months before finally deciding to take the risk and purchase it. Since that day, Shock Value has gotten it's fair share of plays, and has proven to be a fairly good album.

You've probably heard Shock Value before. In 2006, this sound wasn't nearly as played out, and the amount of southern-flavored metalcore was in a much shorter supply than it is today. I'm not saying that Twelve Gauge Valentine released something innovative or brilliantly creative, but they should be given credit where credit is due. They weren't ripping anyone off (I'm pretty sure people were tackling their copies of They're Only Chasing Safety during that period) and they managed to put together an album that preceeded many bands that seemed to follow this trend later. There's quite the comparison to Norma Jean throughout the tracks, but overall, the extreme southern flare and vocal antics carry them away from seeming like just another copycat band.

In order to really get into this album, you have to appreciate the vocals. I'll be the first to admit that the screams can get a bit monotonous and tedious, but in many places the vocalist's delivery serves as the hooks for the tracks and it manages to pull many of the tracks together. Even when he's singing (i.e. "Nicotene Queen") it seems rushed and keeps you on your toes. The singing normally doesn't last long, and most often it's a mixture of the screams and singing or just frantic yelling. As well as the vocals, the lyrics, when comprehensible or read, are rather impressive and not what you'd expect from a standard metalcore band. However, their styling is what really sets them apart from the hordes of other southern metalcore bands. They're not completely unlike Norma Jean in their styling, but their reliance on technical breakdowns and solos kind of sets them apart, and the vocal antics are what really drew them away from the comparisons as the vocalist is normally leading the tracks, giving them a much more hectic and chaotic feel.

Throughout the course of Shock Value if there's any single band member that dominates the tracks, it's the vocalist. However, if you delve a little deeper into the music you realize that they've got solid musicianship backing him up, delivering that one-two punch that southern metalcore really needs to stay alive. If you can get past the fairly tedious nature of the album (much of it does sound the same) and really get into it, I can attest that Shock Value will stand as an impressive album for anyone interested in southern metalcore.

Recommended If You LikeThe Chariot; Once Nothing; Maylene and the Sons of Disaster; southern flavored metalcore; The Hottness; Norma Jean; Destroy the Runner's Saints; Inhale Exhale minus the singing

myspace.com/twelvegaugevalentine
This review is a user submitted review from Klatzke. You can see all of Klatzke's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
05:47 AM on 03/31/09
xsinkshipsx
@alexmacwilliam
User Info.
i love solid state, but when they signed these guys and destroy the runner and inhale exhale, they kind of went down hill. I will disagree with you on one point and that is that fact that they aren't ripping anyone off. To me, this band just sounds like a horrible every time I die.

nonetheless, solid review
12:42 PM on 03/31/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
i love solid state, but when they signed these guys and destroy the runner and inhale exhale, they kind of went down hill. I will disagree with you on one point and that is that fact that they aren't ripping anyone off. To me, this band just sounds like a horrible every time I die.

I'm not particularly familiar with ETID, but thinking back on what I've heard of them you're kind of right.

However, the other two bands you listed are extremely solid in my opinion.
04:10 PM on 04/04/09
xJesusFreakx
duh please
User Info.

I generally agree. Twelve Gauge Valentine was a rather boring band, and I don't miss them at all.

Destroy the Runner's first album was such a ridiculous rip-off of As I Lay Dying that it actually makes me laugh, though their second album was better. I have hope in them, as long as they continue with the direction they're going in.

Inhale Exhale showed potential with their first album, which wasn't that heavy but pretty catchy at points (probably thanks to their bassist at the time being the former bassist of Relient K). Their last CD tried too hard to sound "br00tal," though, making it as boring as Twelve Gauge Valentine.

Really, though, I think we all know what to expect from Tooth and Nail releases: Either the band will become a prominent band in the "scene," or the band will be a horrible, generic "scene" knockoff.
04:29 PM on 04/04/09
xsinkshipsx
@alexmacwilliam
User Info.
I generally agree. Twelve Gauge Valentine was a rather boring band, and I don't miss them at all.

Destroy the Runner's first album was such a ridiculous rip-off of As I Lay Dying that it actually makes me laugh, though their second album was better. I have hope in them, as long as they continue with the direction they're going in.

Inhale Exhale showed potential with their first album, which wasn't that heavy but pretty catchy at points (probably thanks to their bassist at the time being the former bassist of Relient K). Their last CD tried too hard to sound "br00tal," though, making it as boring as Twelve Gauge Valentine.

Really, though, I think we all know what to expect from Tooth and Nail releases: Either the band will become a prominent band in the "scene," or the band will be a horrible, generic "scene" knockoff.
i generally agree with you

solid state/tooth and nail via 1999-2005 is where it is at...for me at least
10:59 PM on 04/04/09
batmannj
"No more half measures Walt"
User Info.
I prefer the I Swear... by Inhale Exhale as compared to The Lost The Sick The Sacred

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos