Password

Album Review

Hometown Anthem - Don't Hold On to What You Hear Album Cover

Hometown Anthem - Don't Hold On to What You Hear

Reviewed by
Hometown Anthem - Don't Hold On to What You Hear
Record Label: Emerald Moon Records
Release Date: September 18, 2006
Don't Hold On to What You Hear is the debut LP from the six-piece pop punk band Hometown Anthem. Hailing from Belleville, New Jersey, this band's debut is a rushing, whiny, somewhat generic (yet enjoyable) pop punk album that's worth a listen.

The content of the album is what most people would expect: a watered down genre of music that we've all heard from a million different bands a million different times before. But just because Hometown Anthem is working a familiar genre does not automatically dismiss them as an illegitimate band. In fact, the band is pretty talented at what they do, with upbeat drumming, pretty good melodies and lyrics, and stunning production. Very rarely is there a filler track, and it seems as if the band has written all their music from the perspective of a live show rather than how it would sound on the album.

I am particularly impressed by the song "It's Only a Head." It combines the softer side of the band with the more outgoing, rocking side. Another must-have track is "My Miraculous Reason," which features top-notch drumming and a no-fail chorus with great lyrics ("Will I go down as the one who changed your life forever? / You're in my heart so you can use it as a mirror"), and the bridge keeps building until it explodes into the end of the song. "The Kids At the Curb" is another good one, with straightforward, honest lyrics ("You've got your drugs to keep you alive / You've got your friends on your side"), and a great vocal melody for the chorus.

Believe me though, the album isn't perfect. The band doesn't really make an attempt to sound much different from similar pop punk bands like Cavalier or Ten Falls Forth (who aren't really the most original band in the first place). And although it is clear that the band put plenty of time and work into this release, the album starts to drag toward the end. These are problems that can be cured after the band has been playing together for a few years and have time to develop their own trademark sound.

The band has promise. They have a knack for writing catchy songs with meaning behind them, and they keep the listener hooked and interested. It just seems easy to lose Hometown Anthem in the vast world of pop punk.

Recommended If You Likepop punk; Cavalier; Ten Falls Forth; Blacktop Mourning's No Regret

myspace.com/hometownanthem
This review is a user submitted review from flks511. You can see all of flks511's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
04:17 PM on 04/01/09
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
The band doesn't really make an attempt to sound much different from similar pop punk bands like Cavalier or Ten Falls Forth (who aren't really the most original band in the first place).

Being that this album was released before all of these record, I'd say it's the other bands not creating a different sound
05:30 AM on 04/03/09
lifeintherye
User Info.
This band really had something. I really miss them. They were very different and energetic at the time they came to be here in the jersey scene. Going to and playing shows at the time, these guys really did stand out and were great.

this cd was great but I would recommend their if we could dream EP

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version