Password

Album Review

Belle Epoque - Wicked Ones and Thieves Album Cover

Belle Epoque - Wicked Ones and Thieves

Reviewed by
Belle Epoque - Wicked Ones and Thieves
Record Label: None
Release Date: March 10, 2009
One day about a year ago I was incredibly bored, so I decided to troll a chat room. The room of choice this time around was Panic! at the Disco's. It had your average pack of teenagers arguing who was the hottest band member, what their best song was, etc. I haven't the slightest idea how it started, but me and some other guy started arguing about music. He showed me his favorite band, and I showed him mine.

Lo and behold, I was introduced to Belle Epoque through trolling.

Fast forward almost a year later, and the band releases a new EP, Wicked Ones and Thieves. The EP is full of feelings of fear, abandonment, distrust, and in its final act, redemption. The title track begins off strong, with warnings about the wicked ones and their intentions to destroy everything. Kyle Istook's voice flows hauntingly throughout the song, while Casey Brajevich's ferocious screams serve as a nice foil.

The next track, "Have Fear...For It Is Revealed" shows off one of the band's best qualities: the ability to throw off the listener. One second the song is closing everything around you due to the screaming and fast paced guitar work, while the next second the angelic singing and lighter guitars send you upwards. This goes back and forth throughout, until the band throws in a quick orchestral piece, and wrap up the song.

"We Are the Bold" starts with an odd sounding riff, then shoots the listener into a strong, yet formulaic, chorus. Even though it's a pretty by the numbers post-hardcore song, it does show off Istook's range and reach with the way he can yell, yet retain his softness. It also gives a taste of the orchestral touch like in the previous song. "Keeping the Innocent" shows the band's refusal to let the wicked ones hold them back, as Istook commands the listener to not allow the evil ones to take advantage.

For the grand finale, the band serves up "And We Will Be Delivered," which pulls together all of the aforementioned finer points and throws them back at the listener with even more force than before. The song starts harsh with screams and heaviness, and slowly moves into Istook's singing. This process repeats until Istook begs for forgiveness for past sins to those who were mistreated. Later in the song, the music drops completely in exchange for the band coming together and chanting, "When you call to me I will say / I'm sorry, forgive me for the things that I've done."

This EP doesn't change post-hardcore as we know it or amaze with guitar solos. What it does is give hope. Even though the lyrics are primarily Christian based, we all share the want to get away from people that do harm to us, and we all want to make up for past wrongdoings. This EP makes the most of 17 minutes by delivering a wide array of different emotions in such a short time by making the listener feel lost in the struggle between right and wrong.

Recommended If You LikeSaosin; Underoath; Oh, Sleeper; struggles

myspace.com/wearebelleepoque
This review is a user submitted review from red8ge. You can see all of red8ge's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
05:37 PM on 03/30/09
more heart
Endure and survive
User Info.
I actually just checked these guys out this past weekend. Not bad.
08:14 AM on 03/31/09
batmannj
"No more half measures Walt"
User Info.
Not a bad band. They have some songs that are pretty swell.
01:44 PM on 04/03/09
TotalCollapse
You are my blanked out pages.
User Info.
Okay band. Nothing really makes them stand out though.
12:34 AM on 04/09/09
jeremyhum27
User Info.
i was really pleasently surprised by this EP. there's a lot going on, so it doesn't get old. i'm really impressed with this EP compared to their last 'our bodies' EP. i hope they keep progressing, and keep growing.
01:28 AM on 04/09/09
Heather_Ann
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I absolutely love this band. They are incredible.
And amazingly nice dudes as well.
06:48 AM on 04/09/09
Chelsea_mT
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
well said.
great band.
amazing lyrics/music.

hope the fan base keeps growing like a wildfire.
personally this is my favorite band w/out a doubt.
08:44 PM on 04/30/09
lamensterms
User Info.
Quote:
He showed me his favorite band, and I showed him mine.

out of curiosity. what is your favourite band?

good EP aswell. look forward to hearing more from these guys.
04:44 AM on 08/16/12
BelleEpoque
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Belle Epoque is back, folks, and we've got a new EP entitled 'Disillusions of Man'. You can stream the entire EP at www.belleepoque.bandcamp.com. Let us know what you think!!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos