Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

SXSW 09: Day 3

Posted by: Paul Tao (03/21/09)
Currently, I'm down in Austin, TX for SXSW. As I have for the past few years or so, I'll be giving a daily roundup of what bands I'm seeing, what I'm doing, etc (Day 2). Live vicariously through me, and I mean that in a non-egotistical way. You can follow me on twitter if you want to be a stalker. P.S. for anyone complaining about me seeing more obscure acts the past couple of days, today should be better.

People really come to SXSW for three things: music, partying and meetings. Almost every trip to Austin has some kind of combination of the three and either fortunately or unfortunately (I haven't decided yet), yesterday was one of those days where it was almost all meetings, all day long. It's good for me because I got work done and didn't have to walk around as much as I normally would have, but also it means I saw significantly less bands yesterday than I normally do and that makes for some pretty boring writing.

Having not gone to sleep until 3:30 the night before, waking up in time to write about Day 2 was hard enough since I had a 9 AM meeting, but it was done, despite me sleeping through my first alarm. Meetings continued throughout the day and the first band I was actually able to see was, of course, Telepathe playing at Waterloo Records for an in-store at 5. I've already written about them a couple of times so I'll skip it for now. I tried to see what was up with the Metallica secret show afterwards, but the rumors that I was hearing was that people had been lining up all day, and so especially since I had another meeting at 7, by the time I was out of that, there was essentially zero chance of me getting in. Bummer but oh well, since instead I went to Buffalo Billiard's for the ILG showcase, starting with As Tall As Lions. Currently recording their next record, they were energetic as ever and put on a great show. The crowd was obviously there pretty much just to see them, since as soon as they were done, the venue emptied out. Funeral Party was up next and by the time they started playing, the room had filled up a bit but definitely nowhere near as much for ATAL. Still, the boys in Funeral Party played a fairly good show; it was the kind of slightly danceable indie rock with ATDI-ish vocals which made for lots of energy but after a while, the songs began to blend together. Not bad overall though.

After Funeral Party was the main attraction though, P.O.S.. In all honesty, I haven't really listened to P.O.S. before, but I know that Jason Tate is obsessed with him and he's been getting plenty of buzz in other places too, so I felt obliged to check it out at least. He definitely didn't disappoint - one of the few acts I've seen this week, aside from Little Boots, to really get the crowd into the show, which is fairly impressive since the majority of the crowd are stuffy industry types. Astronautalis even came on to perform a song with P.O.S., the guy knows how to put on a show. The two of them together was pretty magical, and makes me really want to see more hip-hop shows. That was pretty much the end of my day music-wise (I know, like I said, not my most music-packed day), but tomorrow should be more interesting, Perez Hilton party and all.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
09:10 AM on 03/21/09
Kyle Thrash
https://twitter.com/thrash_itup
User Info.
Wow, fuckin P.O.S. and Asher. Sicccck!

Dude I love hearing about your days at these things, I've been reading these updates for 3-4 years now and I love it.
09:30 AM on 03/21/09
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
P.O.S and Asher, thats awesome. Can't wait for more ATAL material either.
09:37 AM on 03/21/09
OKComputer1016
this is success-this is how we feel
User Info.
This is awesome dude!
09:42 AM on 03/21/09
Indie Star TV
Mainstream Killed the Indie Star
User Info.
Any Video Footage?
09:43 AM on 03/21/09
TachyonEvan
Batman, for example, and Magellan.
User Info.
Dude, I'm seeing P.O.S. this summer, and I was worried about his live performance, but now I'm excited as hell.
10:19 AM on 03/21/09
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
Nerd moment: Seeing the name Asher Roth and immediately thinking of Astaroth from Soul Calibur.
10:39 AM on 03/21/09
Snails
see the benefits.
User Info.
I love these write-ups Paul.

I'm not sure exactly how things work over there, or whether you have a set schedule for bands or can only go to specific venues, but I noticed that a band from my neck of the woods (South Africa) called The Parlotones is playing tonight at Maggie Mae's. So if you're free at 11PM (I think), it'd be amazing if you could go and see them and give me your thought on them.

A long shot I know, but I'd like to see a local band go somewhere, and your thoughts as to how good or bad they actually are would be really interesting to hear.
11:25 AM on 03/21/09
sfbombs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Asher Roth is sooooo bad. Poser extrordinaire. Cant wait till this guy is gone.
11:39 AM on 03/21/09
cavalry
User Info.
I saw Metallica last night and it was epic, then I walked down the road and saw A Day To Remember. It was like heaven.

Paul you should have went to the Metallica show, they were actually letting in a lot of people with badges. The lines were of people without badges and wristbands which never got allowed in. (Big bummer, feel bad for them...)

Glad to hear As Tall As Lions was good, I was thinking about seeing them but Metallica trumped all, haha
01:32 PM on 03/21/09
gszeto
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
people complaining about obscure artists being written up are completely missing the point of both sxsw and reading about music in general. why rehash your old favorites over and over again? it's great to read news of them, but it's even better to read about someone new and find a new favorite. keep writing about the obscure, and bollocks to the haters.
02:15 PM on 03/21/09
Analog Rebellion
User Info.
Hey Paul, were you able to catch either of Lydia's shows?
02:23 PM on 03/21/09
andym182
User Info.
awesome updates!
04:14 PM on 03/21/09
jysnowboard
Justin Young
User Info.
Lisa Hannigan played a great show last night. Kanye tonight!!!
07:38 AM on 03/22/09
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
what the hell is POS??
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music