Album Review

This Providence - Who Are You Now? Album Cover

This Providence - Who Are You Now?

Reviewed by
This Providence - Who Are You Now?
Record Label: Fueled By Ramen
Release Date: March 17, 2009
"Who's This Providence?"

This seems to be the most common response I've gotten when asking my friends if they've heard the latest sophomore effort from the Fueled by Ramen band. After having a fairly successful run with their self-titled first album and a run of tours with the likes of Paramore and Relient K, it amazes me that they haven't garnered the interest of more people. For those who have taken a liking to them, though, the youthful band brings some catchy sounds with lasting lyrics that are sure to make the three year wait since their first album worthwhile. And for those of you who are late to the party, it's time to take an interest.

Who Are You Now? features an eclectic mix of sounds. The majority of the tracks deal with love and romance, but they are far from your typical love songs. The lyrics of each of these songs paint a very specific scenario and tell stories that convey relatable emotion and concerns of the romantic world. "That Girl's A Trick" tells of the beautiful woman we obsess over, even when we know she's trouble. The story-like scenarios are a pleasure to listen to, like well-written poetry, such as "Sand In Your Shoes."

This Providence deliver some crazy dance beats in tracks like "Squeaking Wheels and White Lights" but know when to slow down with tracks like "Sand In Your Shoes." Speaking of which, the latter, along with two other tracks ("Waste Myself" and "My Beautiful Rescue (Renovated)"), while being some of the stronger tracks on the record, have already been delivered through the band's The Bright Lights EP back in October. To see a rehashing of these tracks on the full-length is a pretty big disappointment to the devout fans who already purchased them.

Lead singer Dan Young has been one of my favorite vocalists since I first heard "A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing" off their debut. His voice is unique, well-controlled, diverse, and well-suited for many different tracks. His driving passion works well in fast-paced, upbeat songs, and his crooning falsetto will draw listeners into some beautiful ballads as well. He may be considered an acquired taste by some, but just give him some time. It'll grow on you. His messages of hope are absolutely contagious too. Apart from the feel-good love songs, Young has penned some incredible lines in songs such as "This Is The Real Thing."

With every track having its own merits, it's hard to not suggest Who Are You Now? to any music lover. It isn't without its mistakes such as the recycled hits from their recent EP and a few musically strange moments (the intro to "That Girl's A Trick" just doesn't flow as well as the rest of the song). With messages of attraction and love, failure and hope, just about anyone can find something to love here. The album as a whole is a joy to listen to and would probably fit best on a sunny summer day with the windows rolled down, a friend in the passenger seat, and not a care in the world. Get caught up in This Providence, and you may just find yourself beaming with hope even through the hardest of days.

Recommended If You LikeRelient K; The Rocket Summer; feel-good music; dancing barefoot on summer days

myspace.com/thisprovidence
This review is a user submitted review from BinacaFreak. You can see all of BinacaFreak's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
10:11 PM on 04/02/09
doppelganger
katy song
User Info.
Quote:
Lead singer Dan Young has been one of my favorite vocalists since I first heard "A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing" off their debut.
their debut album is Our World's Divorce. maybe you mean their debut on fueled by ramen.
and you didnt mention 'sure as hell' :( decent review but i think 88% is way too high.
10:14 AM on 04/04/09
FaceLixeMurder
Amplitude!
User Info.
This album is disappointing after the last one
10:34 AM on 04/04/09
BinacaFreak
User Info.
their debut album is Our World's Divorce. maybe you mean their debut on fueled by ramen.
and you didnt mention 'sure as hell' :( decent review but i think 88% is way too high.
I WAS referring to their debut on fueled by ramen. I unfortunately haven't gotten to hear much of Our World's Divorce. You're absolutely right, "Sure As Hell" was an incredible way to start off the album.
10:36 AM on 04/04/09
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
It's not their sophomore release.
10:58 AM on 04/04/09
BinacaFreak
User Info.
It's not their sophomore release.
I was actually referring to it being their sophomore release with Fueled By Ramen records. Should've specified that.
11:09 AM on 04/04/09
rivers cuomo
User Info.
I WAS referring to their debut on fueled by ramen. I unfortunately haven't gotten to hear much of Our World's Divorce. You're absolutely right, "Sure As Hell" was an incredible way to start off the album.
Yeah dude, definitely check out Our Worlds Divorce.
11:20 AM on 04/04/09
BinacaFreak
User Info.
Yeah dude, definitely check out Our Worlds Divorce.
Will do!
12:01 PM on 04/04/09
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
Going from their self titled to this is a damn shame. This album is trash. Only song I like is squeaking and white lights and that girls a trick. The rest and shit in my opinion. I was scared they would drop the gatsby like riffs and become generic.

Sadly I was right.
12:04 PM on 04/04/09
cscwell107
You Will Always Have My Attention
User Info.
Yea Our Worlds Divorce is easily their best album.
12:33 PM on 04/04/09
jeremyc
it was my only wish to rise
User Info.
this band fucking blows

and before the army attacks me with comments on how this band is somehow "epic" or whatever you want to call it.. i say my initial comment after being a former fan. i've watched these dudes since the beginning. bellevue boys n girls clubs. kirkland teen center. all that jazz. the music was raw and fucking fresh. seeing our worlds divorce come together show after show is something i'll never forget because it definitely brought a new vibe to seattle's music. mix forgive durden just crawling out of the womb and being added to the bill and you had one solid night of music back then. i considered the band back then a breath of fresh air.
don't know what happened.
01:12 PM on 04/04/09
doppelganger
katy song
User Info.
Going from their self titled to this is a damn shame. This album is trash. Only song I like is squeaking and white lights and that girls a trick. The rest and shit in my opinion. I was scared they would drop the gatsby like riffs and become generic.

Sadly I was right.
so true. but i hate squeaking wheels because of how cheasy it is. holy crap the lyrics are so bad.
04:13 PM on 04/04/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Toooo high
07:39 PM on 04/04/09
Mattylikesfilms
User Info.
so true. but i hate squeaking wheels because of how cheasy it is. holy crap the lyrics are so bad.

Oh I don't think its a great song at all, I just like it musically and feel that its the closest track on the album that could've been put on their s/t and would work. I miss the s/t sound sooooo much, the band was great and I was a huge fan and then they released this generic pop rock nothingbutpowerchords album. Ughhhhh

Oh and I do like "letdown" minus the lame chorus.
07:42 PM on 04/04/09
Mattylikesfilms
User Info.
this band fucking blows

and before the army attacks me with comments on how this band is somehow "epic" or whatever you want to call it.. i say my initial comment after being a former fan. i've watched these dudes since the beginning. bellevue boys n girls clubs. kirkland teen center. all that jazz. the music was raw and fucking fresh. seeing our worlds divorce come together show after show is something i'll never forget because it definitely brought a new vibe to seattle's music. mix forgive durden just crawling out of the womb and being added to the bill and you had one solid night of music back then. i considered the band back then a breath of fresh air.
don't know what happened.

That sounds glorious, I wish I could've seen all that. I love forgive durdens wonderland!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos