AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Reviews News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

I <3 Deftones

Posted by - 08:10 PM on 11/11/05
Obviously, you know the review section is down, so my review for the Deftones B-Sides & Rarities is below.

Deftones "B-Sides & Rarities"Deftones- B-Sides & Rarities
Released: October 4th, 2005
Maverick Records

As some of you know, I am a huge Deftones fan. They are the band that change my outlook on music and still influence me to this very day. So, you could imagine my excitement when I received the Deftones "B-Sides & Rarities" CD/DVD in the mail from Maverick. Since their beginning in 1995, the Deftones (featuring vocalist and guitarist Chino Moreno, Frank Delgado on samples and keys, drummer Abe Cunningham, bassit Chi Cheng, and guitarist Stephen Carpenter) have released 4 stellar albums and they have always been about the music, not the fame. Take for example the huge nu-metal craze in the mid-ninties. Nu-metal was hitting its high point during this time, and the Deftones were unwillingly lumped into that genre. Instead of taking the easy way and capitalizing on this fad, they took a huge left turn and released "White Pony", which, some say, has turned the Deftones into heavy metal's version of Radiohead. The Deftones have also followed their hearts, not the money in the industry, and that reason alone is why so many fans love and respect this band. So tens years since the release of their first album, "Adrenaline", the Deftones have decided to give their fans a little treat. "B-Sides & Rarities" includes 14 songs from the vault; these songs include covers, rare tracks from the White Pony Sessions, and acoustic versions of some of the Deftones most popular songs.

"Savory" begins with menacing guitars and displays the chilling vocals of Chino. Chino's vocals are what make this song so good. The first song that the Deftones cover is the Cocteau Twins "Wax and Wane." The Deftones version has a dark techno vibe to it, which is similar to the track "Lucky You" from their self-titled album. "Change (In The House Of Flies)" gets the acoustic treatment on this record. This track is done very well unplugged, with Chino's haunting vocals anchoring this song. Another track from "White Pony," "Teenager," is redone on this record, also. A simple track to begin with, it has more instrumentation this time around, and Michael Harris joins Chino on this version. "Crenshaw Punch/I'll Throw Rocks At You," a b-side from "Around The Fur," is a moody mid-tempo track that starts with Chino barely whispering over the contrasting guitars in the verses to the rising passion in the chorus. "Black Moon," a "White Pony" b-side, features Cypress Hill's B-Real. It's another dark track, but with a hip-hop vibe this time around. The Deftones cover of The Cure's "If Only Tonight We Could Sleep" is very good. This song was recorded live at MTV's Icon show for The Cure in 2004. The Defones perfectly capture the sound of the Cure in this track, and is one of my favorite tracks on this collection. The Deftones also cover Morrissey's "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want", which also stands out on this record. I love the fact that the Deftones covered such bands that aren't in the same type of genre, and this is a great example of the Deftones musical range. The Deftones also added acoustic versions of "Digital Bath" and "Be Quiet And Drive (Far Away)," two tracks that give me goosebumps. Chino's voice is one of the best I have ever heard. The way Chino can go from a blood-curdling scream to a haunting whisper is amazing. As for the DVD, the Deftones have included all 11 of their music videos, as well as some live footage and exclusive band interviews. The DVD is a perfect compliment to the CD portion of this collection. The 14 tracks and music videos put together for this collection take you on a journey through the different musical styles and influences of the Deftones. From looking through the 24-page booklet of fan-submitted live photos of the band to the embossed hard album cover, you can tell that the Deftones put a lot of time and effort into this collection, truly showing their appreciation of their fans.

I could probably go on and on for paragraphs about the Deftones and all their work, but no one would want to read about how much of a fanboy am I of the Deftones. They are one of my all-time favorite bands, so the “B-Sides & Rarities” collection is very awesome to me. I’m not going to give this record a rating because it’s a collection of B-Sides, which is not the band’s top work. But I am going to highly recommend to all, especially if you’re a fan of the Deftones. This is must-own for all Deftone fans and it will hold us over till the Deftones fifth album.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 29
08:17 PM on 11/11/05
Talib Scottie
Isn't it a pity?
User Info.
Drew's cool.
08:18 PM on 11/11/05
fromwithin
Registered Member
User Info.
I agree with you 100% on this review. They changed the way I look at music. Chino is one of the best vocalists I have ever heard, and his screams cannot be matched. I have loved this band for years and appreciated and welcomed everything they have put out. This is a nice treat, and I shall look forward to seeing them again live.
08:26 PM on 11/11/05
YourLatestVicti
The Captain
User Info.
Great review, I'm definetly going to have to check out this release now.
08:37 PM on 11/11/05
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wait a second here...Drew loves the Deftones...his username used to be The White Pony...the Deftones had a CD called White Pony...
08:37 PM on 11/11/05
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by tonton46
Wait a second here...Drew loves the Deftones...his username used to be The White Pony...the Deftones had a CD called White Pony...
Duh, n00b
08:40 PM on 11/11/05
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
i hate, hate, hate the deftones.
08:48 PM on 11/11/05
SaturnineMantra
User Info.
why
08:49 PM on 11/11/05
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Originally Posted by SaturnineMantra
why
can't stand the droning, relentless vocals, nor the nu-metal (not including White Pony)
08:51 PM on 11/11/05
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by Scott Weber
can't stand the droning, relentless vocals, nor the nu-metal (not including White Pony)
Geez Scott! Be MORE negative! Crikey!

just kidding.
08:53 PM on 11/11/05
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Originally Posted by tonton46
Geez Scott! Be MORE negative! Crikey!

just kidding.
:) I don't hate on anybody that likes em, i just can't stand em
09:50 PM on 11/11/05
tymsnurmn04
aka sunbear @weworemasks.com
User Info.
that's a shame cause I grew up listening to them and white pony pulled me out of the slipknot/mudvayne/soulfly deal i was goin through...i do believe that deftones are a timeless band , not cause they were waaaaay ahead of there time (they still are) but theyre just so accesible because every release offers something different
09:56 PM on 11/11/05
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.

Really, IMO, only the Deftones first release sounds kinda nu-metalish. But, the second album, Around The Fur, begins to drift away from the nu-metal sound, it doesn't have a whole lot of nu-metal in it. Obviously, White Pony ditches nu-metal all together, and their last album really is straight up moody rock/metal.
10:03 PM on 11/11/05
zeketheplmbr
erection selection
User Info.
I <3 White Pony
10:05 PM on 11/11/05
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.

its not all nu-metal. adrenaline is the closest thing to numetal, but the deftones were "pioneers" of "nu-metal. "
around the fur is a brutal record. white pony was unbelievable, and their self-titled was pretty straight forward.

in my opinion, chino is the best vocalist. he can do anything. listen to their discography, cause you dont need any other proof.

deftones are my favorite band. you are a smart guy drew.....smart guy.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos