AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Lovedrug - Sucker Punched (Alternate LP) Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7.25
Production 7.5
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 6
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 83%
Inside AP.net

Lovedrug - Sucker Punched (Alternate LP)

Reviewed by: Klatzke (03/23/09)
Lovedrug - Sucker Punched (Alternate LP)
Record Label: released via Noisetrade
Release Date: January 2009

Every time someone asks me who my favorite band is, I skip through quite a few options before I end up settling on a single choice that usually reflects whichever mood I'm in. A likely candidate any time you ask me, however, is Lovedrug. I was purely entranced by their sophomore album Everything Starts Where It Ends, and though I've never truly gotten into their debut, Pretend You're Alive, I've recently begun to turn to it a bit more often. I personally believed that their latest release The Sucker Punch Show showcased their change in sound well, and showed the band progressing even further down their own path. However, to many people, their third album was a letdown and just wasn't exactly what they considered Lovedrug to sound like. Whether this spawned the idea or they just felt like putting out more of their tunes, (either is fine with me), Lovedrug recently released a completely revamped version of that album entitled Sucker Punched: The Alternate LP.

The only real comparison between these two albums is the lyrics, which are identical between the two releases (and now let's them be in the running for my second annual "Most Cryptic Use of the Word Semen" award). Virtually every other facet of the sound is changed. Sucker Punched is moodier, darker, more fragile, and much more emotionally charged than The Sucker Punch Show. The Sucker Punch Show was quite upbeat in many places, and it seems like they've taken the complete opposite direction here, where most songs are the slow, trudging, emotionally heavy songs that I love in my Lovedrug releases. In many places, it seems like they purposely aimed to change the songs that were more vivacious from the initial album to the slower ones, and they brought some of the slower ones to life (particularly my favorite, "Fake Angels").

On this alternate EP, many of the songs have a more stripped down feeling to them and rely heavily on piano and acoustic melodies which work flawlessly with Michael Sheppard's ever-lovely vocals. They incorporate quite a bit of experimentation on their sound, and overall, even though this may be the "alternate album," it mirrors the creative genius that Everything Starts Where It Ends had. One of the major things that a lot of people seemed to dislike about The Sucker Punch Show was the grunge feel that many of the songs had, and while there are still glimmers of their newly found love for thick bass lines, most of the grunge feel is left behind on that album and doesn't work it's way onto Sucker Punched.

Many, if not most, of the tracks on Sucker Punched seem like improvements to their brethren on the original LP, and while I still stand by that album as being well above average, I think that Lovedrug has once again displayed why they've remained one of my favorites (if not the favorite). The more stripped down approach they took works quite well with their overall sound, and this album seems like it's the more approachable and better of the two albums, especially for long-time fans that were shocked at their change in sound.

Recommended If You LikeEverything Starts Where It Ends; Copeland; The Myriad

myspace.com/lovedrug

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3.
09:15 PM on 04/03/09
Jamos4184
www.facebook.com/attalusmusic
User Info.
Nice work. I doubt that they did this in response to negative reactions to The Sucker Punch Show. Michael Sheppard doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would care whether or not the majority of people didn't like the album. That being said, this alternate take on the album gave me more of an appreciation for The Sucker Punch Show. I wish more bands would do stuff like this.

Also, you gotta love the "blooper" included on "Broken House".....awesome...makes me laugh everytime.
09:38 PM on 04/03/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Nice work. I doubt that they did this in response to negative reactions to The Sucker Punch Show. Michael Sheppard doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would care whether or not the majority of people didn't like the album. That being said, this alternate take on the album gave me more of an appreciation for The Sucker Punch Show. I wish more bands would do stuff like this.

Also, you gotta love the "blooper" included on "Broken House".....awesome...makes me laugh everytime.
Yeah, I didn't figure they'd to it for that reason either, but I figured I should address the fact that The Sucker Punch show got some negative marks, though I thought it was excellent.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests