AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
NOFX - Backstage Passport [DVD] Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 9.25
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 92%
Member Ratings
Production 8.83
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 9.17
Reviewer Tilt 9.42
Average: 92%
Inside AP.net

NOFX - Backstage Passport [DVD]

Reviewed by: Chris Fallon (03/24/09)
NOFX - Backstage Passport [DVD]
Production: Fat Wreck/Fuse TV
Release Date: March 17, 2009

For many of us, it would be a dream come true to spend one year of our lives away from home and the bill-paying, work-a-day lifestyle in order to head out on tour with a band we love. Imagine, living your life like a rockstar everyday for one year - sure, the lack of showering, home-cooked meals and homesickness might get to you eventually, but it's an experience many regular people will never get to be a part of. And I don't mean the kind of touring you get on a luxurious bus financed by a label - I'm talking finding your own transportation and sleeping wherever you are able to, maybe not even sure if a good meal awaits you or if you'll get paid by some rather shady individuals who speak bad English.

This is why we have the DVD, people. Sure, it's helpful when it comes to renting cinematic masterpieces like Space Buddies, but it gets viewers up close & personal with their favorite musicians, as well.

In terms of pure filthy entertainment, a band like NOFX does it better than most. For nearly 30 years, the band has remained a punk staple in the independent scene and have been incredibly successful at it (perhaps more than you might think). They aren't looking to please anyone, they do things the way they want to -- and frankly, if you don't like it, they just don't give a shit. Keeping all that in mind, the band kept the cameras focused on them for 14 months, documenting their world tour which was narrowly accomplished through a series of misadventures, and then made into an 8-episode series entitled, Backstage Passport.

There isn't much to indulge on, because if you aren't a fan of the band, you'll likely find no interest with this two-disc set of all eight episodes and 2-1/2 hours of extra bonus footage that was not included on the regular television broadcast. The story behind it all is far more fascinating, and if you're in a band or looking to be in one, it's the business side of things that might peak your interest over seeing a legendary band like NOFX rescue their crew from Peruvian police, get swindled by conniving promoters or witness a bizarre drug-fueled evening in China.

Airing on cable network Fuse last spring, the show is not only a vastly entertaining chronicle of a band's whirlwind tour into lands many stateside bands ignore, miss or simply don't go to, it's also quite interesting seeing a band deal with its fans and promoters on such a frank level. There's no hidden puppet strings here -- NOFX steers the ship entirely by themselves (in accordance with their loyal team of crew members and longtime manager, the ever-lovable Kent). To be honest, the most intriguing elements here concern seeing a band many people have pigeonholed into obnoxious punk rockers be normal dudes who happen to play rock songs.

For fans of the bands, there's plenty here to wrap your arms around -- even enough to want to watch it more than once. As much joy one can find by having the episodes as an ample time-killer, they are also very humorous & surprisingly tender. The only sad part about all this is that we were unable to see the experiences in every country, and a few continents are condensed into one or two episodes. 14 months on tour must have led to so many stories, it would require 24 episodes to tell them all -- however, the bonus footage lets us see some of these experiences that failed to make it to the air, and expands on other highlighted stories we only saw glimpses of (including Fat Mike's touching personal moment in Israel).

Your dream has come true, it's just not going to lead you into spending one year on a bus with Motley Crue or I don't know, whoever your dream tour band might be. The Veronicas? Aiden? Fred Durst's Janitorial Jamboree Junction? Backstage Passport is close enough, believe me.

PurchaseFat Wreck Store

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27.
04:21 AM on 03/24/09
cereal4life
User Info.
Nice review Chris. I'm not a fan of NoFX and wouldn't buy this DVD but I'm quite interested in what Fat Mike's "touching personal moment in Israel" was. Would someone please be able to fill me in?
05:40 AM on 03/24/09
Charles777
Feeling groovy
User Info.
He found JEEZUS
07:35 AM on 03/24/09
MusicTalks
@JasDunham
User Info.
I love the concept of everything you just wrote about Chris. Well done.
08:15 AM on 03/24/09
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Nice review. Made me interested.
08:18 AM on 03/24/09
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
User Info.
Can't wait to get ahold of this. Nice review, Chris.
10:29 AM on 03/24/09
Big_Guy
Idle Will Kill
User Info.
Nice review Chris. I'm not a fan of NoFX and wouldn't buy this DVD but I'm quite interested in what Fat Mike's "touching personal moment in Israel" was. Would someone please be able to fill me in?
I saw this on FUSE but I forget. I would imagine it has something to do with both Jews and cocaine though
12:18 PM on 03/24/09
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.
this DVD series is fucking hilarious and NOFX kicks ass, even without neon glasses, girl jeans and keytars.
02:38 PM on 03/24/09
poppunknerd182
Come On E
User Info.
one of the most talented bands in music

I wish more people realized exactly what they have done for the genre of punk/pop-punk
02:24 AM on 03/25/09
EchoPark
promesas son sombras
User Info.
I grew up on this band since the early 90's and while much of their stuff now is horrible, there is no denying the scene wouldn't exist without them. I think Fat Mike is a self righteous,condemning and arrogant fuckhead as are his bandmates and this DVD proves this but it is highly entertaining all the same.

Nice review Chris.
04:52 AM on 03/25/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
I grew up on this band since the early 90's and while much of their stuff now is horrible, there is no denying the scene wouldn't exist without them. I think Fat Mike is a self righteous,condemning and arrogant fuckhead as are his bandmates and this DVD proves this but it is highly entertaining all the same.

Nice review Chris.
Haha thanks, but I really think this should change your perception on the band. I can understand why Mike's attitude may turn people off, because he is who he is and doesn't care. But I really don't think the other guys mean any harm at all and are quite humble (particularly drummer Eric). The DVD really opens up a whole other side of the band, shows how caring they are with their families and how much they do for their fans -- even by putting their lives in danger and losing thousands of dollars, then shrugging it off. Not many bands would do that -- it just shows how down to earth they really are, even if they get a bad rap for their Warped Tour antics.
06:53 AM on 03/25/09
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
User Info.
Haha thanks, but I really think this should change your perception on the band. I can understand why Mike's attitude may turn people off, because he is who he is and doesn't care. But I really don't think the other guys mean any harm at all and are quite humble (particularly drummer Eric). The DVD really opens up a whole other side of the band, shows how caring they are with their families and how much they do for their fans -- even by putting their lives in danger and losing thousands of dollars, then shrugging it off. Not many bands would do that -- it just shows how down to earth they really are, even if they get a bad rap for their Warped Tour antics.
Well said.
08:48 AM on 03/25/09
dhelmick
User Info.
im pretty much just interested in the bonus footage since i watched every episode but im pretty sure it will be worth whatever they are charging. im going to have to agree that fat mike is kind of arrogant and what not but at the same time he's just a normal guy. there are many days when i think the world should revolve around me so i cant really say much about the way he is at times. one thing that did kind of piss me off though was when he got all pissed that he was going to miss his daughters birthday. like if it was that important they could have made sure they would have taken a break or something. but whatever. even if you dont really like nofx i still think this show would be interesting for you. it shows the ups and downs of a band that has been around forever.
11:20 AM on 03/25/09
Eatchipz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
One person who really stood out in this DVD was Erik Sandin (Smelly). To be honest I knew excatly what they meant about NOFX fans not noticeing him places he is a very underated part off the band. And their was a couple touching moments with him and his Drug Addiction.

I for sure will be saying Hey to him when they play Belfast next month
06:58 PM on 03/25/09
world_is_static
Good things won't let you wait.
User Info.

it was something about missing his kid a lot while being booed onstage, crying, and then proceeding to snort some kind of green pixie-stick-esk powdered drug

(as much as i completely hate him, it was really sad to see fat mike's kid not understand why her dad had to leave her for the tour)

but i still don't understand what happened with the stage and the permits that weren't paid for when they all snuck out of the venue in a convey truck thing
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests