Password
Recommended News - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 55.
10:53 PM on 11/12/05
Brandon Herbel
Registered Member
User Info.
Originally Posted by geekchic
that means panic! is good live? i havent really heard anything about their live show (or seen them myself)

Very impressed with the live show. If you ever have the chance of seeing them live you have to, it was flawless.
10:54 PM on 11/12/05
Brandon Herbel
Registered Member
User Info.
Originally Posted by failed_x_senses
khonnor: i can't think of any comparisons, but think quiet-indie type stuff? he's some 17 year old kid (probably 18 by now) and it's pretty good.

kind of like spitting: maybe i'm biased because they're my favorite band, but i got the new cd "in the red" this past week and it's magnificent. definitely check it, or anything by them, out if you haven't yet.

all-time quarterback: ben gibbard's (death cab/postal service) old band. side-band? whatever. either way, i've been listening to it a lot.

of montreal: they're fun. like the shins/the decemberists fun type of fun. i can't get enough.

others worth mentioning:
belle and sebastian
tilly and the wall
les savy fav

and chai. i recommend chai. it's tea that tastes like christmas!

Good choices! I love kind of like spitting and all time quarterback! you are the best..
11:32 PM on 11/12/05
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
Originally Posted by failed_x_senses
and chai. i recommend chai. it's tea that tastes like christmas!

Chai is pretty killer.
11:38 PM on 11/12/05
bustamebus
User Info.
Originally Posted by fire on my lips
uh so is your mom.................burn (okay not really)
its a pretty much a badly kept internet rumor that he's on coke

well when he was in seattle couple months ago when circa played with gatsbys, he was totally on something. he left the stage in the middle of one song, and came back, then his nose started to bleed out of nowhere. and he didnt even know it.
11:41 PM on 11/12/05
FeynmanWannabe
Take Ecstasy With Me
User Info.
Music:
Rufus Wainwright: One of my all-time favorite musicians and a very entertaining performer. I saw his last weekend and had a blast. Cabaret/Chamber Pop/Piano Pop sort of thing. Check out: Gay Messiah, Go Or Go Ahead, Crumb By Crumb, Beauty Mark

Nick Drake: I wish we had more of this music before his death. Amazing musician. You should know who he is, but if you don't think something along the lines of Elliot Smith with a little more subtlety for his later albums with more of a jazz influence on his first one. Songs: At The Chime Of A City Clock, Time Has Told Me, Place To Be, Road

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy / Matt Sweeny (Superwolf): Recently got more into this. Great stuff. William Oldham is just indescribable. Check out: My Home Is The Sea

Magnetic Fields: The first disc of 69 Love Songs is one of my favorite set of 23 song playlists. Their other stuff is great, too. Peppy pop goodness. Check Out: A Chicken With Its Head Cut Off, All My Little Words, I Think I need a new Heart.

Damien Rice (O): Just listened to this for the first time in a while and fell in love again. We need a follow-up. Songs: Older Chests, Amie

The Good Life: I finally got Album Of The Year. You should, too. Tim Kasher is unstoppable.

Movies:
Airplane!: One of the funniest movies of all time. "And don't call me Shirley."

Simpsons DVDs: Great for (not) doing Quantum homework.

Websites:
http://www.elliottsmithbsides.com/index2.html

Misc:
Coffee! Lots and lots of coffee!
12:21 AM on 11/13/05
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Originally Posted by geekchic
that means panic! is good live? i havent really heard anything about their live show (or seen them myself)
i think they sound great live
01:52 AM on 11/13/05
Michael D.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
indie recs:

the wrens - the meadowlands

woven hand - consider the birds
06:19 AM on 11/13/05
HashHolly
....is retired
User Info.
Originally Posted by irthesteve
i think they sound great live

now when u say "great live" do u mean along the lines of Fall out boy live, or Rx Bandits live?
06:23 AM on 11/13/05
Katie Schmitz
OMGZ SKWRL!
User Info.
Originally Posted by HashHolly
now when u say "great live" do u mean along the lines of Fall out boy live, or Rx Bandits live?

i don't think FOB sounds that bad live ... however I've been told differently.
06:31 AM on 11/13/05
HashHolly
....is retired
User Info.
Originally Posted by hickpuff
i don't think FOB sounds that bad live ... however I've been told differently.

Ive seen videos of them playling live on a "good" night and i still cringe.
06:52 AM on 11/13/05
Scoobydumb56
Ambassador Quan
User Info.
New Cavil At Rest?!?!? I can't wait, the old stuff was so money, I can't wait for anything new.
06:55 AM on 11/13/05
slickwataris
jrockexplosion.net
User Info.
Sambomaster
07:54 AM on 11/13/05
clevername
The King of Game-Palace
User Info.
Recommendations:

Minus the Bear: It's been a while since I truly listened to them, so I pulled out the backcataloge(You know... going to their spot on iTunes) and listened. They are fucking incredible and anyone who wants an album of the year, it may very well be Menos El Oso.

Bear Vs Shark: I've said it once, and I'll say it again, EVERYONE needs to see this band live and pick up Terrorhawk. The last CD was great, but not for everyone. Well this one, while still as out there as before is just so amazing that I think everyone can get into them. That and they are entertaining as hell, especially when trading Anchorman quotes back and forth with me.

Circa Survive: Just cause they are one of my favorite bands right now and they always blow me away. I don't give a shit about that other "blow" he might be on. I've seen them three times, talked to them twice and they never seemed any different.

Chiodos: Everyone should listen to this and their older shit. God they are amazing so go check them out.

Asia Minor: My friends band. Anyone who's heard of Aeris probably knows who they are, but you should all go give them a listen, especially if you're into Head Automatica. Http://www.myspace.com/asiaminorny

The Morning Of: I know they get a little love from this site, but they are such nice kids. Their new record is up on Smartpunk(Along with Asia Minor's) and their CD release show is tonight in Newburgh(Also with Asia Minor). If you're in the area you should totally come out. you should also give them love.

Boysnightout: Cause as much as I love the new Thrice I think this is stilled tied for album of the year with MTB.
07:56 AM on 11/13/05
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Originally Posted by Scoobydumb56
New Cavil At Rest?!?!? I can't wait, the old stuff was so money, I can't wait for anything new.
Check out this review a guy on our site did for C.A.R.

http://www.upbeetmusic.com/reviews/281/

They are a solid band...
07:59 AM on 11/13/05
byebyebeautiful
conor is not scene.
User Info.
mount eerie - phil elverum is amazing.

local bands:
vanna - don't rip on these guys. i love them to pieces.
therefore i am - vanna's best friends. listen or die.
the cadence - they're out of commission for a while until they find a new drummer, but wait until they come back.
faraway - eeeeeeeeee! they make me smile. as does their new intro.
the northwood - listen to "the street." i love this song.

the end.

xoxo conor
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News