AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
John Mayer - Continuum Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 9
Production 9
Creativity 9.75
Lasting Value 9.75
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 95%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 9
Production 9
Creativity 9.75
Lasting Value 9.75
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 95%
Inside AP.net

John Mayer - Continuum

Reviewed by: MusicTalks (03/26/09)
John Mayer - Continuum
Record Label: Aware / Columbia
Release Date: September 12, 2006 (USA)

Oh man, how I hated John Mayer. When I first heard "No Such Thing," I couldn't stand it. Something about the idea of running through the halls of my high school was neither nostalgic nor poignant. For years, I wrote him off. I never denied he was a talent or that he was a gifted musician. It was just something about that first hit single that bothered me. Maybe it was too poppy or too cliche for me. Whatever it was, it wasn't good.

Let's fast-forward a few years, to the point where I can take back all the bad things I said. To the point where I can whole-heartedly stake a claim that John Mayer is one of my favorite artists. At first, I didn't know what it was that made me change my mind. Then it hit me: Continuum. This album single-handedly pulled a 180 and I was on the track to loving his music, his lyrics, his antics and his attitude. Team Mayer or Team Aniston aside. His propensity for mouthing off, "My Stupid Mouth" style, aside. His apparent disregard for normalcy aside. Hell, even now, with his incessant and incoherent Tweets aside. John Mayer, despite all naysayers, is an enigmatic and energetic artist that pretty much makes other artists look like they aren't trying very hard. For proof, one needs to look no further than Continuum.

From start to finish, it's his best work to date. The uber-popular hit single, "Waiting On The World To Change," is the appropriate song to start the album. In our own lives we get involved in current affairs in our own way. Artists like John Mayer (even the Dixie Chicks) get involved with the instrument they were given: their music. Not only is the song an anti-war theme, it's about an overall change that everyone needs to make. It's retrospective and prospective at the same time. "Belief," "Vultures" and "Slow Dancing In A Burning Room" are the album's best. With the drum line, catchy guitar riffs and lyrical panache, "Belief" delivers a few items of note to your think-tank. With an equally catchy guitar riff and drum line, "Vultures" is my favorite track on the album. Lyrics like "Some of us, we're hardly ever here. The rest of us were born to disappear," start this song about the scrutiny that we all live our lives under. The guitar solo in the middle just reinforces how clever and innovative Mayer is with his instrument. "Slow Dancing In A Burning Room" glides along just how you would expect this aptly titled song to glide. It's slow. It dances. It burns. It's the exact type of song that only Mayer can get away with.

Songs like "I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You)", "Stop This Train", "In Repair" and "The Heart of Life" are all excellent and only compliment the rest of the album. While not my favorite tracks on the album, they are far superior to what other artists could only dream of creating and are perfect transitional songs for an album as good as Continuum.

Overall, this record is as grey as the album artwork would indicate. There are no songs like "No Such Thing" or "Your Body Is A Wonderland." There is no controversy over who he wrote what song for. This album examines a different side of the world. A part of life that people rarely want to think about, much less examine. It's a revolutionary piece of music that changed my view on his music. And, in the end, I believe that the album was designed to do just that.

Recommended If You DigJohn Mayer; guitar; lyrics; a voice; thinking

myspace.com/johnmayer

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
03:28 AM on 04/04/09
stillsane525
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
haha i like youre RIYD's
07:16 AM on 04/04/09
SanePsychotic
Queerkegaard
User Info.
Great album. Good review.
07:16 AM on 04/04/09
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
if this was going to be a negative review i was gonna flip out
09:07 AM on 04/04/09
FaceLixeMurder
Amplitude!
User Info.
excellent album and review, good job!
10:30 AM on 04/04/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
This has to be the third 95% Continuum has gotten. Nice! And like I said in your blog, Jason, nice going.
08:48 PM on 04/04/09
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Not sure if I would have given this a 95% but everyone has their own personal opinions. Never the less I love this album and I would of scored it fairly high. Good job!
07:22 PM on 04/07/09
MusicTalks
@JasDunham
User Info.
This has to be the third 95% Continuum has gotten. Nice! And like I said in your blog, Jason, nice going.
Thanks Seth. I didn't even know that my cumulative review would be a 95%, but it might seem a little high, considering that Keep Coming Back is only a 91%. I guess it's all relevant. I love this album tho and I can't wait for new stuff to come out.
07:24 PM on 04/07/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Thanks Seth. I didn't even know that my cumulative review would be a 95%, but it might seem a little high, considering that Keep Coming Back is only a 91%. I guess it's all relevant. I love this album tho and I can't wait for new stuff to come out.
No prob Jason. I also can't wait for what else is up that talented sleeve of his.

/perma-ass-kissing fanboy
02:57 PM on 08/14/12
jmc1003
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love john mayer. anything he puts out.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums