AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Shark Speed - Sea Sick Music Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8.75
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 81%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Shark Speed - Sea Sick Music

Reviewed by: Blake Solomon (03/27/09)
Shark Speed - Sea Sick Music
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: February 10, 2009

Who?

Stop fiddling with your watch; it’s still 2009. You can think of Shark Speed’s sound as outdated or retrotastic nostalgia depending on a variety of factors. These can range from an “over it” stance on collectibles to a terrifying (but still undiagnosed!) addiction to N64. Personal crises aside, catchy tunes with meaty, vaguely European vocals are timeless. Well, maybe Sea Sick Music isn’t exactly timeless. It is, however, neat-o. That’s a late 90’s term, right?

How Is It?

I’ve been coming back to Sea Sick Music quite regularly over the last few weeks. Its lounge versions of Midwest emo songs are foot-tapping and filling. Horns and tricky drumming immediately draw the listener in on “Cast Off, Dance Off.” And dancing is encouraged, but on an electronically accented song like “Seagulls” or a math-rock pulser like “And You Are In The Band?”, the audience is invited to mull over the oft-smart lyrics (“Can I help you get your pockets full / So you no longer need any friends / Until you no longer need any of my help ever again / No never again.” Vocally the band is a breath of recycled air. I’m not sure where Utah is in Great Britain - sources tell me it’s on the coast of Wales - as all signs of nasally straining are replaced by pitch-perfect man-moans (especially on “Deep South Detox”). Shark Speed are rare in that they have a set sound of jangly indie rock, and yet they add shiny jewels to the frame by including brass instruments, beat-heavy electronics, American Football-esque technicality and sugary sweet melodies. There’s more than faint hints of potential on Sea Sick Music. There’s talent, plenty of humor, and feisty memorability. Joy! Another band to watch closely.

Recommended If You Like: Scissors For Lefty, Minus The Bear, tamaguchis, This Town Needs Promise Rings, birkenstocks

Stomachs stirwww.myspace.com/sharkspeedrawks

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
12:55 AM on 03/28/09
cereal4life
User Info.
I'm a big fan of birkenstocks. I'm sure to like this!
06:36 AM on 03/28/09
tommy's ghost
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Such an awful band name. It reminds me of Street Sharks
How is that bad?
08:13 AM on 03/28/09
Eadonj
User Info.
this town needs promise rings! haha!

Blake, your reviews are always an enjoyable read. Would you do me a huge favour and try and review Grammatics - Grammatics?

I think it's almost certainly going to be my top album of 2009 even though its only march! trouble is i can never write reviews because I end up gushing about how great they are and end up with unbalanced drivel.

they need to get reviewed on this site though because they deserve to be massive.
08:58 AM on 03/28/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
this town needs promise rings! haha!

Blake, your reviews are always an enjoyable read. Would you do me a huge favour and try and review Grammatics - Grammatics?

I think it's almost certainly going to be my top album of 2009 even though its only march! trouble is i can never write reviews because I end up gushing about how great they are and end up with unbalanced drivel.

they need to get reviewed on this site though because they deserve to be massive.
I reviewed that album. Search for it.
12:30 PM on 03/28/09
thehereaway
snickers at the swine flu
User Info.
This Town Needs Promise Rings? lol

Will check this out later...
02:19 PM on 03/28/09
tommy's ghost
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Because I never cared for them growing up. I always preferred TMNT
Well, of course. Nothing beats the Turtles, but still... it was decent.
03:25 AM on 03/29/09
Eadonj
User Info.
I reviewed that album. Search for it.
oh right I must've missed it.

Thanks.
10:27 AM on 03/30/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
The album art and band name are horrendous. And yet the music is quite pleasant.
04:21 PM on 03/30/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
The album art and band name are horrendous. And yet the music is quite pleasant.
a judgmental music critic! Who woulda thought?!

xoxo
01:27 PM on 04/13/09
OneFierceWaffle
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Clear Vocals. Clever Lyrics. Amazing.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives