AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Black Sheep Wall - I Am God Songs Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 6.75
Lyrics 7
Production 8
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 6
Final Verdict: 70%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 9.13
Production 9.5
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Average: 91%

Black Sheep Wall - I Am God Songs

Reviewed by: jaywarden1 (03/29/09)
Black Sheep Wall - I Am God Songs
Record Label: Shelsmusic
Release Date: October 20, 2008

Any band that uses a Starcraft cheat for their name is good in my books (“black sheep wall” is a Starcraft cheat allowing you to see the whole map), but beyond this potential tribute to classic game, Black Sheep Wall are also in my good books because they make good, heavy shit. The three genres they list on their Myspace are minimalist, down tempo, and jam band, which sum up their sound pretty well. In the vein of The Ocean Collective except with a more minimalist approach, I Am God Songs will beat your face in, but at a slower tempo then most face-beat-ins you may have received in the past. The time signatures are constantly varying, making the music unpredictable, and a combination of high/low screams helps amp up the brutality.

The album’s opener, “Nihility”, takes about a minute and a half to finally kick in, but when it does its heavy and hits hard. The slower tempo of the music allows for some pretty incredible drum fills, and the mix of guttural growling and higher pitched screams keeps the mix interesting. “Care By Carcinogenic” follows up with more heaviness, and hits even harder than the first track. “Modest Machine” features a little more melody musically, adding some variety without straying too far from their core sound. The band uses some spoken word and singing vocals on “Myolden”, which help keep things interesting but sound slightly out of place. The curiously titled “Lamb…gayy” contains some solid guitar work, and ends with one of the heaviest jams on the album. The last real track on the album, “Ten Fucking Billion”, finishes off I Am God Songs how it began - hitting hard with some throat ripping screams and varying time signatures.

Though I Am God Songs shows some potential, there is minimal variety and the songs end up kind of sounding the same. Also the consistent slow tempo makes the music drag, though this could just be my opinion since I’m more into faster paced metal. The third track, “DJewbf348thoqab” is just 30 seconds of noise, and the last track on the CD, the 13:36 “Xiomara”, starts with 10 minutes of noise and finishes off with some disturbing screaming and more spoken word. Take out these two unnecessary tracks and I Am God Songs is a solid, slower tempo hardcore release.

Recommended If You LikeThe Ocean, Last House on the Left

myspace.com/blacksheepwallmusic

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2.
10:10 AM on 04/11/09
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
"Lamb...gay" is probably a jab at Lambgoat.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests