AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Here's Looking at You Kid - With Looks to... Album Cover

Here's Looking at You Kid - With Looks to...

Reviewed by
Here’s Looking at You Kid - With Looks to Kill But Dressed for Your Funeral
Record Label: None
Release Date: April 21, 2009
Discussing the merits of pop punk on the internet, like many things, is a fine way to get your taste in music, sexuality, or general character questioned. Name dropping a band is a dangerous experience, as it can lead to your ultimate downfall among your anonymous peers. “Pop punk (can be substituted with any genre) is dead!” they cry. “(Genre) hasn’t been good since (band I listened to when I was younger) played”. When I was a young upstart desperately seeking approval, I got hit with the same rallying cries when I was caught rocking out to Blink 182, the same band that's now labeled the saviors of pop punk by many. The point is that one genre of music is never going to completely die. As long as there are hard working people with passion, and an ability to craft songs, you will be able to find something somewhere to enjoy. Yes things may seem bad at the moment, but amidst all the fluorescent v-necks and synthesizers, there are still straight up pop punk bands that make decent music. It is with happiness I announce that Here’s Looking at You Kid is one of those bands.

A quick first glance at the track listing for With Looks to Kill But Dressed for Your Funeral might put you off. Long song titles? So 2003! But a quick first listen may put some fears to rest. There's no overuse of auto-tune, no obnoxious attempts to add electro influences. No, here we have some dudes shredding on guitars, wailing on some drums, and belting out some decent vocals. A few more listens and the record becomes enjoyable, catchy, and all those things you want from pop punk.

It begins with “I Liked You Better When You Were Easy”, which is a powerful start. The vocals are strong and smooth with a bit of an edge to them. The guitars chug along at a fast pace and the drums keep the beat nicely. There is nothing particularly outstanding or life changing, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good time. The fourth song “Looks To Kill But Dressed for Your Funeral” is the strongest of the bunch. It includes some synth, that's not the focus of the song. This song ticks off all the boxes for a good pop punk song: the chorus is catchy, the vocals are interesting and show off some range, and as a bonus we have gang vocals, which are always welcome. The album finishes up with the dreaded pop punk ballad attempt. This time we get one that is not horrible, yet not amazing. The obligatory piano makes its entrance and is actually used decently, and the vocals are the strongest on this song. It’s an interesting diversion from the other songs, and shows the band know how to craft a slower song without having people reach for the skip button.

So five songs and Here’s Looking at You Kid are sitting pretty. They are not going to change the face of music. They certainly won’t be found on any Pitchfork reader's play list. But for those of us looking for solid, tightly crafted pop punk, we could do a lot worse. So next time someone is bitching about the state of pop punk, slide With Looks to Kill But Dressed for Your Funeral their way.

Recommended If You LikeFour Year Strong; driving with your windows down; good old pop punk

myspace.com/hereslookingatyoukidmusic
This review is a user submitted review from mastershake. You can see all of mastershake's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
03:39 AM on 04/08/09
Akissforher
City Love
User Info.
hmm thius certainly has gotte me interested, i'll def check them out.

good review.
02:34 PM on 04/08/09
piercexmyxskin
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love these guys!!!
I would do anything to help them out.
Ben, Fabes, Chris and Griffy are awesome people
and they really deserve the help getting big.
=]
Give their songs a listen, they're amazing.
They are definitely guys worth supporting.
=]

nicia
08:51 PM on 04/09/09
ftskourtney
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Well well, if it isn't a post on my favorite boys ever.
:)

Definitely check them out; it'll be worth every second of your time.
http://www.getroadworn.com/contest.php?sid=58&rid=1272&aid=167 91&mid=25347&stage_search=

These kids are going somewhere. (:

....andhopefullythatsomewhereisokla homa.
hahaha.
10:19 AM on 04/11/09
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
This band isn't bad. They're pretty generic, but "driving with your windows down" is a fitting description.
06:38 PM on 04/20/09
ctigers92
I always could count on futures
User Info.
Fun band. I picked up their EP a few weeks ago. They were in my town playing an acoustic set at a sketchy local venue. The EP's pretty solid for the most part. The last song on the album is alright, but I enjoyed Jason Lancaster's part. Check 'em out if you get the chance. The opening track is sooo catchy.
06:38 PM on 04/20/09
ctigers92
I always could count on futures
User Info.
Fun band. I picked up their EP a few weeks ago. They were in my town playing an acoustic set at a sketchy local venue. The EP's pretty solid for the most part. The last song on the album is alright, but I enjoyed Jason Lancaster's part. Check 'em out if you get the chance. The opening track is sooo catchy.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos