Password

Album Review
Hebron - Resurrection Album Cover

Hebron - Resurrection

Reviewed by
Hebron - Resurrection
Record Label: Misfortune Records
Release Date: January 27, 2009
“What is a Hebron?” I asked myself, when sitting down to listen to and review Resurrection. My first response was to Google it, as I assume the majority of my generation would do when coming across something unfamiliar, and I was intrigued to find out that Hebron is the largest city in the West Bank. It is home to some 166,000 Palestinians and is considered to be the second holiest city in Judaism, yet I didn’t even know it existed. Then I thought, "Could this be some sort of metaphor for this hardcore/metal outfit Hebron? Could Hebron be something huge, something great and something I should’ve heard of, but for whatever reason (my own ignorance) I have yet to?" Turns out the metaphor fits all too perfectly, and within seconds of the first track I was smashing my desk chair through my office window, praising the almighty carnage that is Hebron.

Resurrection is 10 tracks of high paced, brutal metal/hardcore insanity. Hebron have crafted a unique sound within the scene (rare to come by these days in a sea of mind numbing open string chugging and bree-breeing), combining metal riffs with thrashy and aggressive hardcore. Dr. Dan’s vocal prowess on Resurrection is deserving of a Ph.D. in brutality, combining higher pitched screams with low guttural growls, a range I’d liken to Randy from Lamb of God. The music sounds like some deranged lovechild of Between the Buried and Me and Dillinger Escape Plan, combining the heavier aspects of Between the Buried and Me with Dillinger’s spastic and unpredictable approach. Skelitor’s assault on the drums is just ludicrous, and the guitarists provide non-stop, technical, hard hitting speed metal riffs, complimented well by Pick’s shredding on the bass. The band’s music is said to be a musical conceptualization of “the deepest, darkest corners of the human psyche”, and claims to represent the “often suppressed madness in all of us”. If any album could represent all the suppressed madness within the entire human race’s subconscious, Resurrection would just about do it.

For 10 straight tracks, Resurrection relentlessly pummels listeners with a frantic tech-metal assault. What I love about this album is there’s no acoustic intro track, no acoustic/piano interludes, and no Between the Buried and Me slower jams, just constant aggressive shredding. What also stands out to me about Resurrection is the absence of those open string chug fests most listeners have (unfortunately) come to expect these days. Hebron avoid this chug fest death trap, and instead keeps the music consistently fast paced and technical. With top notch musical execution and an awe inspiring vocal performance, Hebron are sure to become a top name in the tech-metal scene.

Recommended If You LikeBetween the Buried and Me; The Dillinger Escape Plan; Summers End; Last House on the Left; Ex Kathedra

myspace.com/hebron
This review is a user submitted review from jaywarden1. You can see all of jaywarden1's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version