AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Living With Lions - Dude Manor EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 6.75
Production 8
Creativity 5.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 74%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7
Production 7.75
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 78%
Inside AP.net

Living With Lions - Dude Manor EP

Reviewed by: Blake Solomon (03/30/09)
Living With Lions - Dude Manor EP
Record Label: Adeline Records
Release Date: April 7, 2009

It’s not often that a re-release trumps a band’s well-known work. Living With Lions released Make Your Mark last year to considerable, if somewhat lukewarm, praise. Their punk-pop that borrows heavily from peers like Daggermouth and Lifetime is, quite simply, a big ball of fun. But Make Your Mark sagged in places, which is distressing for a record barely longer than an HBO sitcom. So who knows what the future of the band holds, but I do know that their past is filled to the brim with noteworthy credentials. Dude Manor was originally recorded in 2006, back when Living With Lions and a bunch of other smelly people shared a space called, you guessed it, “Punk Palace” - kidding! This 7-track EP is a testament to those smelly, boozy, partyrific, and really smelly times. Maybe they should move back.

You’ll know what’s in store by the end of true opener “Later Is Better.” Semi-intricate guitarwork and express lane drumming blend into the background as Matt Postal hollers about youth and whatnot with guitarist Chase Brenneman. You might notice Brenneman’s name from the Daggermouth song “This Is Chase Brenneman”, as both bands hang out in their native Canada. (I wasn’t aware Canada had music, but I guess that one’s on me.) Really, there’s no reason to love LwL and hate Daggermouth. The only real difference between the two bands is that LwL extend their songs just enough to throw in semi-breakdowns or solo sections. These are minimal attempts at differentiation, but that’s all a band needs when songs often run under 3 minutes and feature such simplistically pleasing arrangements.

As the vocals and guitars often rely on quantity over quality, the true merit of Dude Manor rests in the talented hands of bassist Shayne Lundberg and drummer Loren Legare. Their additions aren’t mere afterthoughts; rather, the two rhythmic wonders command attention on the buildup in “Colors” or the lightly atmospheric middle of “A Noisy Noise Annoys The Boys.” Their accents easily define Living With Lions’ simplistic ruckuses. But even though Make Your Mark has yet to hook me, I do understand it better after hearing Dude Manor. The band never put a time limit on the thought, “Hope is over the hill,” so it only seems fair for me to afford them the same optimistic outlook.

Recommended If You Like: Daggermouth, Lifetime, creaky floorboards, A Wilhelm Scream, bathrooms with no locks

Do It To Mewww.myspace.com/livingwithlions

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 28
12:35 AM on 03/31/09
JunkyVomit
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Awesome.
03:55 AM on 03/31/09
trustmeimokay
Hi
User Info.
It took a while for Make Your Mark to hit me too, but once it did it really stuck. When I first heard it I agree with you in the thought that it sagged in parts. But after a few listens it's a really strong album.
03:56 AM on 03/31/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
While it is a fun listen, it's music like this that makes me doubt the future of the music industry. Chalk it up to a one album slump or is this band on the decline?
05:16 AM on 03/31/09
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
Love this band. Make Your Mark was one of my favorite records of 2008; it was packed to the brim with heart, fun, and energy.

This E.P. is just as fun and a bit rougher around the edge. And that's a compliment. Like the reviewer, I'm optimistic to see what this band can come up with next.
07:34 AM on 03/31/09
myplasticyou
the future is x-rated
User Info.
this band can do no wrong

what is the extra track on the re-release?
07:35 AM on 03/31/09
Soupy
User Info.
This is my favorite ep ever.
08:19 AM on 03/31/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So this is a re-release of their debut EP?

Is it remastered/has bonus tracks?
08:43 AM on 03/31/09
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
So this is a re-release of their debut EP?

Is it remastered/has bonus tracks?
The vinyl comes with a download card for a bonus track. Not sure what track it is or if it's available on the CD version.
09:03 AM on 03/31/09
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
This is my favorite ep ever.
Set Your Goals - Reset

is mine
09:15 AM on 03/31/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The vinyl comes with a download card for a bonus track. Not sure what track it is or if it's available on the CD version.
If it was CD/download, I'd probably buy it
09:58 AM on 03/31/09
genemachene
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Set Your Goals - Reset

is mine

yes yes. i agree.
11:12 AM on 03/31/09
holyballs
This is falling with style.
User Info.
up there as the best band in canada right now, in my opinion.
11:30 AM on 03/31/09
.KillMoneen.
User Info.
Amazing talents. Awesome to see guys from a lil town in Alberta make a name for themselves in Vancouver! Stoked to have hear a full length.
12:28 PM on 03/31/09
Justin_stacy
Go AWAY! Batin'!
User Info.
Love this band. Make Your Mark was one of my favorite records of 2008; it was packed to the brim with heart, fun, and energy.

This E.P. is just as fun and a bit rougher around the edge. And that's a compliment. Like the reviewer, I'm optimistic to see what this band can come up with next.
Make Your Mark just missed my best of list.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums