Username
Password

Album Review - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 74.
08:59 AM on 05/01/09
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
I believe thats a question I should be asking you. You response without any sort of support backing your claim is funny. Anybody can stamp an opinion on anything. Without a constructive review/response/post your words mean nothing.

Similar is one thing, A complete rip off, no. Show me a part in the music where they RIP off a riff, melody, or lyric. You won't find it I guarantee you. Oh and how often did alesana do a slowed down break into a blue grass solo? When have they ever gone from a hardcore part and transitioned into what could be funk? For that matter when have they ever done gang vocals? How many other bands are layering screams now? TDWP does it, A Day To Remember... ect. Its a growing fad, more and more bands are throwing in parts like that. Are you gunna say they ripped Alesana off too? I at no point heard in these guy's music a part in a song where it was 3 people screaming overlapping and all different lines which is alesana's so called "trademark" I heard Echoed screams meaning a high line and then the same line in a low scream. But never anything more than that. These guys have a number of places where two singers are featured other than just one, Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Alesana only has one singer if you can even call that singing.

If you can pick out things to distinguish one band from another and support it I'll respect it. Have you taken Music classes? Do you know what musical dictation is? Workings of musical Theory? The use of Counterpoint and the chromatic leading tone dominant chords used by this band make their music progressions different. I disagree with the reviewers claim to an "extremely boring guitar approach" Because IF you had listened to the music you would have discovered that 2 of their songs are done using almost nothing but jazz chords in a dominant position and cleverly inverted. But whos to say you actually understood any of that just by listening.
There was nothing new about this EP.
Sounds like your just a local scene fan boy.
08:03 AM on 05/03/09
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
at what point did I say there was something new about this ep?
never, i was pointing out that what I had analyzed from this music in a response to your claim of a "complete" rip off.

Sounds like you have to make claims to try to offend when someone actually replies with support backing their argument, unlike you. Read Before you respond.

and klatze,

" I get this is some local band that you dig"

I do, but again I didn't say that. In my post I didn't even say weather or not I liked them. Everyone can improve, and no they are not worthy of getting somewhere yet, But with work I believe they will.

"Oh, and "had I actually listened to it.." gtfo, I listened to these songs at least 10+ times each before writing this. On more than one of those occasions, I believe Handra was actually with me."

Your review comes off as if you we're in a bad mood from the first place, you made it not only clear but offensively clear that they sound alike. Who we're you actually talking about were you talking about? how bad alesana is? or how this band reminds of so much of alesana. Either way the point is this review is not SOLELY about the band, which (IN MY OPINON) makes me feel you can't dictate the music enough to actually talk about it without relating it to something.

How did you anylze it did you read the lyrics and think about it? Thats one of the places you gave it a somewhat good score? Why? that was no where in your review and I'm pretty sure the band itself would like to know exactly what was better than average about their lyrics in their sub par band.

Production, the highest rating... and all you said was something about adding synth.

And did you really have to mention the song titles over something like prodcution or lyrics? That really makes it seem as tho you we're striving to drive them even further into the ground.

when you write a review for something that alot of people may read. Be concrete, you certainly were not.

Now i'll sit and wait for the response with some sort of insult because maybe you can't take critisim about your own review. Why in the hell would you give critism if you can't take it? You've done nothing but bash or beat down someone who had ANY sort of problem with your review.
Klatzke*
08:46 AM on 05/03/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
never, i was pointing out that what I had analyzed from this music in a response to your claim of a "complete" rip off.

Sounds like you have to make claims to try to offend when someone actually replies with support backing their argument, unlike you. Read Before you respond.

and klatze,

I do, but again I didn't say that. In my post I didn't even say weather or not I liked them. Everyone can improve, and no they are not worthy of getting somewhere yet, But with work I believe they will.

"Oh, and "had I actually listened to it.." gtfo, I listened to these songs at least 10+ times each before writing this. On more than one of those occasions, I believe Handra was actually with me."

Your review comes off as if you we're in a bad mood from the first place, you made it not only clear but offensively clear that they sound alike. Who we're you actually talking about were you talking about? how bad alesana is? or how this band reminds of so much of alesana. Either way the point is this review is not SOLELY about the band, which (IN MY OPINON) makes me feel you can't dictate the music enough to actually talk about it without relating it to something.

How did you anylze it did you read the lyrics and think about it? Thats one of the places you gave it a somewhat good score? Why? that was no where in your review and I'm pretty sure the band itself would like to know exactly what was better than average about their lyrics in their sub par band.

Production, the highest rating... and all you said was something about adding synth.

And did you really have to mention the song titles over something like prodcution or lyrics? That really makes it seem as tho you we're striving to drive them even further into the ground.

when you write a review for something that alot of people may read. Be concrete, you certainly were not.

Now i'll sit and wait for the response with some sort of insult because maybe you can't take critisim about your own review. Why in the hell would you give critism if you can't take it? You've done nothing but bash or beat down someone who had ANY sort of problem with your review.
I just get pretty pissed when someone either says or insinuates I "didn't listen." IDC about criticism, when it's actually presented correctly, but not a soul on these boards seems capable of that.

Lyrics were above average, I saw no reason to delve into them on a once over review. And I'm not sure if you've read any other reviews of mine, but I think it's quite clear I can drone on about song structures and describe the songs. This review was done from this focal point because, in my opinion, the similarities were overwhelming. Production, IMO, didn't really need mentioning; most people just want to know there's a high production value, which there was. Including that the tracks sounded well recorded and mixed wouldn't have taken away from the harshness off the review, it just would have seemed off topic. I wasn't mad when writing the review; I have absolutely no vendetta against this band, either before or after this review.
02:23 PM on 05/03/09
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.

and klatze,

If you think this EP is sooo good, write a review up for it, that way everyone can praise your perfect review.
04:04 PM on 05/03/09
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
I just get pretty pissed when someone either says or insinuates I "didn't listen." IDC about criticism, when it's actually presented correctly, but not a soul on these boards seems capable of that.

Lyrics were above average, I saw no reason to delve into them on a once over review. And I'm not sure if you've read any other reviews of mine, but I think it's quite clear I can drone on about song structures and describe the songs. This review was done from this focal point because, in my opinion, the similarities were overwhelming. Production, IMO, didn't really need mentioning; most people just want to know there's a high production value, which there was. Including that the tracks sounded well recorded and mixed wouldn't have taken away from the harshness off the review, it just would have seemed off topic. I wasn't mad when writing the review; I have absolutely no vendetta against this band, either before or after this review.
You're definitely hitting it lucky with responses to you reviews this weekend eh?
04:24 PM on 05/03/09
Klatzke
User Info.
You're definitely hitting it lucky with responses to you reviews this weekend eh?
Oh yeah. You got it. haha. The other person is way more ridiculous than this one though, even though they're both insinuating I apparently don't listen to albums when I review them, even though i'm able to pick out details about the songs, etc.
08:05 PM on 05/03/09
Klatzke
User Info.
To say that I'm insulting is quite hypocritical.
I'm not sure about yourself but if someone was to use the expression "get the fuck out" to me I would take offense.

secondly I never said you didn't listen to it, at no point did I EVER say that. In fact when you quoted my post I was actually directing it at your smart mouth buddy Handraa. To mock me in a post about things that aren't even directed towards you is ignorant.

I am not trying to start a fight, I'm debating and discussing the feedback.
I believed it was directed at me since the rest of the post seemed to be. And discussing is one thing but running in on a high horse and proclaiming me wrong is another.
08:41 AM on 05/04/09
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
once again... did I EVER at any point say that this EP is "soooo" good?

No.
quit digging yourself a hole.
Hahaha k.
03:28 PM on 05/04/09
flks511
You can't be my friend
User Info.
And discussing is one thing but running in on a high horse and proclaiming me wrong is another.
It is possible for you to be wrong, dude.
05:08 PM on 05/04/09
Klatzke
User Info.
It is possible for you to be wrong, dude.
Yeah, if you ask me a science question and I give the incorrect answer.

But asking, "Hey, what do you think of this album?"

It's a fucking opinion, so no I can't. Don't worry, no more negative reviews from me, from here on out it's happiness and sunshine for each one. Apparently people can't handle a harsh (yet truthful) review.
06:28 PM on 05/04/09
Mike Unstincs
knowitall
User Info.
Well I really liked it, I think Whispered Hallows is great. I disagree with the review.
I thought the review in general was your typical sub-standard review from someone with a meager cd collection. I found the comparisons to another band generic, and lacking in any real substance.
I do see a pattern developing here though, in the sense that certain people just seem to unqualified to comment on music when they are somewhat clueless about what goes into the work involved. It is really a shame that some Bands work so hard only to see years of toil and heartache put down this way. A few paragraphs to the wrong people and the next thing you know you have a small epidemic of disdain and negative fallout.
shame.
06:35 PM on 05/04/09
Klatzke
User Info.
Well I really liked it, I think Whispered Hallows is great. I disagree with the review.
I thought the review in general was your typical sub-standard review from someone with a meager cd collection. I found the comparisons to another band generic, and lacking in any real substance.
I do see a pattern developing here though, in the sense that certain people just seem to unqualified to comment on music when they are somewhat clueless about what goes into the work involved. It is really a shame that some Bands work so hard only to see years of toil and heartache put down this way. A few paragraphs to the wrong people and the next thing you know you have a small epidemic of disdain and negative fallout.
shame.
Well you're wrong again. I actually spoke to the band about this afterwards and they seemed to find my criticisms constructive, actually going as far as asking for any advice I had about them I hadn't put in the review or failed to mention.

It's not really surprising to me that you liked it either, you seem to enjoy reacting to negative reviews for releases a large amount of people consider bad. Plus, comparing a band to a band that they sound like isn't really "generic and lacking in substance" in any way, since they do sound eerily similar to Alesana.
06:50 PM on 05/04/09
Mike Unstincs
knowitall
User Info.
Well you're wrong again. I actually spoke to the band about this afterwards and they seemed to find my criticisms constructive, actually going as far as asking for any advice I had about them I hadn't put in the review or failed to mention.

It's not really surprising to me that you liked it either, you seem to enjoy reacting to negative reviews for releases a large amount of people consider bad. Plus, comparing a band to a band that they sound like isn't really "generic and lacking in substance" in any way, since they do sound eerily similar to Alesana.
As this is all just opinion anyways, please try to respect mine.
I cannot be wrong if I have an opinion can I? I find that rather condescending coming from you for no reason. Please try to keep your comments based on music and what I like.
I do not think this sounds like Alesana. I am glad you spoke with the band, I am sure they have a high opinion of you now and are on the road to greatness.
You truly are a career saver! I am sure they are grateful.
07:06 PM on 05/04/09
Klatzke
User Info.
As this is all just opinion anyways, please try to respect mine.
I cannot be wrong if I have an opinion can I? I find that rather condescending coming from you for no reason. Please try to keep your comments based on music and what I like.
I do not think this sounds like Alesana. I am glad you spoke with the band, I am sure they have a high opinion of you now and are on the road to greatness.
You truly are a career saver! I am sure they are grateful.
Haha. You realize that all you've done in every thread you've entered is make the band look bad right? If this is how their fans act, I don't think anyone wants to even check them out. And he asked for my opinion on the music (kinda why they sent me the CD) and asked for my opinion afterwards. After 200+ reviews man, I think I've got an informed opinion. I'm not some idiot coming out of nowhere (unlike you) making ridiculous claims based on absolutely no fact. Obviously I'm just sharing an opinion, but that's completely different from what you've done. They wouldn't send me albums if they didn't want my opinion, so I think you need to respect it.

And as for me commenting on what you like - you've already stated what you like in these threads, I was just joining those two together to form a hypothesis using actual logic (something you've proven incapable of).

You're just coming across as an asshole that knows absolutely nothing about what he's talking about, and if you don't have anything constructive to say, I'd rather you just not reply. I normally don't react like this to people, and in more than one instance I've been told someone didn't like my review or disagreed with my opinion, which is usually met with a "sorry you disagree, too bad you couldn't get into the album or the review." However, personal attacks and statements based completely out of the realm of "fact" completely piss me off.

As a matter of fact, your buddy LongDistanceDrunk has criticized my writing before, and there was no reaction like this because he actually said something constructive.
07:15 PM on 05/04/09
Mike Unstincs
knowitall
User Info.
Klatzke , You seem to be outspoken on most subjects relating to music, please tell us us all about your Music Education, background and qualifications.
I am sure many of us would love to share in the knowledge you have and Maybe you could even realize some of it with us and enlighten some of us that are deprived musically.
We do know you like to write here, abundantly.
200 reviews, wow. You could write a book!
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests