AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Big D and the Kids Table - How It Goes Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 8
Production 9.25
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 9.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Final Verdict: 92%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.88
Musicianship 6.94
Lyrics 6.94
Production 6.69
Creativity 6.63
Lasting Value 7.38
Reviewer Tilt 7.31
Average: 70%
Inside AP.net

Big D and the Kids Table - How It Goes

Reviewed by: Brandon Allin (11/21/05)
Big D and the Kids Table - How It Goes
Release Date: October 19th, 2004
Record Label: Springman Records

Boston's favourite ska-punks, Big D and the Kids Table, are back with their new record How It Goes via Springman Records. This time around, however, Big D have created a record that is bound to shock, mesmerize, and entrance the world. With 20 tracks (which alone is more than any music fan could ask for) of pure angst, dignity, melody, and excitement, How It Goes is deserving of all the praise it can get. The band has finally found their groove, and this record is a perfect example of an album with something for everyone. Is this a ska record? Yes. Is this a punk record? Yes. Is this a masterpiece? You better believe it.

Whether it's the comical, flavourful voice clips between select tracks, or the over and hour long running time, How It Goes is a record that deserves recognition above all others.

The record opens with "The Sounds of Allston Village", a beautiful instrumental which accurately displays the power and integrity of the bands horn section, as well as Big D's ability to craft a relaxing, yet enticing opener. The bands horn section (which is made up of saxophonist Chris Bush, trombonist Paul E.Cuttler, and trumpeter Dan Stoppelman), unlike a handful of notable acts, sounds complete and is undoubtedly extremely pleasing to the ears. "LAX", the follow up to the smooth opener, is an angst-driven, horn-filled punk rock song, which just happens to include the most uses of the word "fuck" i've ever had the pleasure of hearing. However, and quite suprisingly, the word does nothing but add to the real meaning and honesty behind the frontmans (David McWane) lyrics. Lyrically, the track is extremely easy to relate to for the crowd who were built up from nothing, and musically it proves to be arguably one of the most attention-grabbing anthems of the past decade. "New Nail Bed", the third standout track, and coincidentally the records third track in line, is a fast ska gem complete with an excellent introduction courtesy of the bands horn section. "If We Want To", the record fourth track and quite possibly my personal favourite, shows a slower, more traditional ska sound from the band, and accurately incorporates elements of the bands diverse roots and influences.

Moving ahead to the albums seventh track, "You Lost, You're Crazy", which also found its way onto the 2005 Warped Tour compilation, is a danceable ska number with alot to offer. As if How It Goes as a whole is not a perfect example in itself, this particular track shows the flawless driving power behind bassist Steve Foote's work. "Bender" picks up right where "You Lost, You're Crazy" left off. In fact, the tracks blend together so perfectly that you find yourself wondering when the first of the pair ended and the second began. "Safe Haven", the next track in line, features stunning female guest vocals amidst a very mellow dub backbeat. The track has a very classic guitar vibe to it, and relaxing upstrokes the whole way courtesy of the bands guitarist Sean P. Rogan. "My Girlfriend's On Drugs", which clocks in at just over three minutes, is a ska-punk frenzy, and easily one of the most infectious jams the record has to offer. "Cutshow", on the other hand, is a typical song from the band, although it's quite impressive none the less. One noticable, noteworthy quality of the bands sound as a whole, is that no matter how worn-out ska-punk may become, Big D and the Kids Table always manage to mesmerize listeners with their unexpected, exciting twists on the genre. What is arguably the records most impressive point is the bands extremely well performed take on The Specials classic "Little Bitch". It's unfair when bands butcher a timeless classic, but fortunately for the band, I won't have to rip on them for this one. "Moment Without An End", which closes off this so-far perfect release, accurately leaves the listener wishing that this record had no end. As each track begins and ends, the band grabs your attention and sucks you in a little further, and this closer only leaves you craving for another ound.

I think i've rambled more than enough, but before I go, let's make sure a few things are clear. First off, this is no ordinary ska-punk record. In fact, it's quite possibly one of the best ska-punk releases of all time (call it an exaggeration, but I speak no word of a lie), and the band could not have crafted a better sophmore release. Big D and the Kids Table have brought more of what fans have grown to love to the table with How It Goes, and it seems these seven guys will have one hell of a time writing a better record than this one. They've shown their ability to shine and impress time and time again, and I wouldn't put it past them to add another to that list.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4.
03:53 PM on 11/21/05
heyRomanticA__x
is Nikola Tesla
User Info.
Hell yes! Great cd, great review. I really like driving to this one, even though I feel like dancing.
08:42 AM on 07/09/06
Gijsje Radijsje
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this is by far the best album i've ever heard and probably ever will hear. 20 songs, thats like two albums! Each song is totally diferent and i just totally love it. If you don't buy this one you must be very very very broke.
08:11 PM on 08/10/06
thesht_jfm
Watch the Right
User Info.
one of the funnest cd's i own. and of course, mr. president gives me my political song that i need off every album ;)
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests