AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
August Burns Red - Thrill Seeker Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 9
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 9.71
Lyrics 8.54
Production 8.96
Creativity 9.33
Lasting Value 9.33
Reviewer Tilt 9.63
Average: 92%
Inside AP.net

August Burns Red - Thrill Seeker

Reviewed by: Scott Weber (11/21/05)
August Burns RedThrill Seeker
Release Date: November 8, 2005
Record Label: Solid State Records

Open those eyes.

These prophetic words are more than just the opening lyrics to one of the year’s best metalcore releases, they are a realization, a request, a warning. What you, the listener, are about to experience is 44 minutes of brutal, chaotic, and distinctive rock. This blast of energy comes from August Burns Red’s debut full-length Thrill Seeker on Solid State Records. Yes, that’s the same Solid State Records responsible for Haste the Day, Demon Hunter, and Dead Poetic. But if you open your CD packaging looking for a nice, accessible metalcore album with sing-along choruses, think again. It’s time to open those eyes.

Thrill Seeker holds nothing back. Each song is a masterpiece of harsh breakdowns, intertwined metal riffs, and furious vocals. The closest the band comes to singing is the strategic use of gang vocals in a select few songs. Songs have frequent time signature changes, transitioning from one breakdown to another staggered verse full of raw energy. Thrill Seeker is full of heart, as each song is unique and bleeds passion. The vocals are unpolished, yet demonstrate fantastic vocal control. From absolutely brutal screams to the gang vocal breakdown in “Endorphins,” August Burns Red doesn’t let up on the energy for one second. There’s barely even time to breathe on this record, and I guarantee many a neck will suffer from whiplash after blasting it at full volume.

August Burns Red manages to set them apart from other bands of their genre by having fantastic song variance. The best part about Thrill Seeker is despite it being very breakdown-heavy, each song is somehow memorable, something that hundreds of other metalcore acts have struggled to achieve. There are plenty of popular bands that attempt to do this, but then eventually resort to singing or repeated song structures(see: As I Lay Dying). Every movement to each song is accompanied by a mini-riff or vocal line that sticks in your mind, making August Burns Red the catchiest non-catchy band out there. Songs like “Barbarian” and “Your Little Suburbia is in Ruins” have fantastic individual parts that meld together for stand-out songs. The latter of those songs is the strongest on the record and the perfect introduction to a spectacular record full of tracks in the same vein.

Thrill Seeker is an outstanding album that should not slip under the radar. This band will be defined as metalcore by many, and that’s what it is, at the purest sense of the word. It’s the brutality of hardcore mixed with elements of metal. It’s not what many refer to as metalcore acts today, it’s not sub-par metal with tons of singing and black eyeliner (see: Atreyu). As the band commands you too, I suggest you open your eyes to August Burns Red and buy this record. Thrill Seeker is a blast of unbridled passion, brutality, and technicality rarely witnessed in their genre, resulting in one of this year’s strongest metalcore releases.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19.
05:03 PM on 11/28/05
a speedo model
an enthusiast
User Info.
i'm really enjoying this CD right now
06:55 AM on 12/01/05
finch425
iminaband
User Info.
good review. this reminds me of the red chord mixed with caliban, so if youve heard of those bands, check these guys out, u wont be disappointed.
10:41 AM on 12/01/05
AmongTheBetraya
User Info.
Amazing!
10:46 AM on 12/04/05
FASSWcore
under lock and key
User Info.
i can't get enough of this cd right now...this and the through the eyes of the dead cd (bloodlust) are on constant rotation right now for me
04:50 AM on 12/05/05
HeatherAnn
Hit of the Search Party
User Info.
Their hometown is about 20 minutes from me so I have a soft spot for them. I'm in love with this album & can't wait til they come home for another show. I read in an interview that they shot a video for "Your Little Suburbia is in Ruins" before the BYD/Terror tour but I haven't seen it yet.
06:23 AM on 12/05/05
Rohan Kohli
True Punk Fan
User Info.
One of the best metalcore CDs I've heard in a long time. The breakdowns are disgusting (in a good way).
07:09 AM on 12/05/05
codyxburnsxred
User Info.
haha. the breakdowns are more brutal than anything. definitely check these guys out at a show, it will probably be one of the best shows you'll ever go to. (if you're into metalcore shows.)
10:45 PM on 01/05/06
Emopunkthrice
Im fresh and positive
User Info.
damn this band is sooo good
09:24 AM on 01/17/06
book of bros
User Info.
I just got this cd from a friend and I love it. The music is amazing!
10:15 AM on 01/24/06
crazytoledo
Addicted to slurpees
User Info.
August Burns Red is horribly overrated.

There not bad, but a lot of the time their just boring.
04:55 PM on 03/01/06
sputniksignals
On the turf since birth
User Info.
i dig this cd. i am a little bitch and downloaded it but intend to buy it simply because with me quality is an issue, but regardless im not heavy into metal and shit but i dig this cd immensely
10:48 AM on 09/29/06
Troggy
Basking in Wrongness
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's not anything special in the long run, but for your average run of the mill metalcore band, August Burns Red is pretty good at what they do. The melodies are actually pretty impressive.
11:25 AM on 04/21/07
absolute HXC
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is probably one of the best metalcore releases ever. In my opinion, Thrill Seeker remains unparalleled. Lets hope Messengers impress.
02:57 PM on 07/15/07
mayrawrockkill
User Info.
August Burns Red is such an awesome band. Thrill Seeker remains my favorite cd. If you ever have the chance, don't hesitate to go to one of their shows; they are amazing live.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests