AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Coretta Scott - Scream and Shout Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6
Musicianship 6
Lyrics 6
Production 5.5
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 6.5
Final Verdict: 59%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 9.75
Production 8.25
Creativity 5.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Average: 81%

Coretta Scott - Scream and Shout

Reviewed by: Scott Weber (11/21/05)
Coretta Scott – Scream and Shout
Release Date: August 23, 2005
Record Label: Rise Records

Coretta Scott is a hard rock band hailing from Spokane, WA. Their debut LP Scream and Shout should attract many fans of one resurging movements of rock, which is essentially “screamo” without the screaming. Coretta Scott combines personal lyrics with unique vocals to produce a sound to set them apart from an oversaturated genre. Songs manage to have moderate song distinction, and there are a few songs which are clearly better than the others, something that is hard to find within the genre these days. Fast, rocking songs like “Strength in a Breath” have a Bayside type vibe to them, while the stellar closing track “Poison Apple” stirred memories of early Brand New. The vocals are what really make Coretta Scott stand out. Seth’s voice is strong and confident, while still conveying emotion. Backup vocals by Josh are extremely nasally, but surprisingly not obnoxious.

Songs like “Broken Mirror (Seven Years Back Luck)” and “Jefferson St.” have technical oriented verses before breaking into sing-song choruses, complete with syncopated rhythms. I enjoy Seth’s voice, but many of the choruses tend to be delivered in the same vocal range, making each song blend together more than they should. Fortunately, the guitar melodies are varied enough so that songs remain distinguishable. The downfall of Coretta Scott comes in the fact that they often settle for traditional screams in areas where they really don’t need to. For instance, “The Stairs Hit Hard” has verses with sassy singing that really piqued my interest. But once the chorus hit, backup screams came in and kind of ruined the song for me. Not to say that I didn’t enjoy the rest of it, but my eyes definitely rolled. The highlight of the entire album hits with the final track, a ballad with remarkably catchy vocals where Seth and Josh’s voices are showcased in the greatest form on the entire record. If nothing else, make sure you check out this song – fans of all genres can enjoy it.

Coretta Scott has a gift for writing catchy tunes that won’t leave your head for days. If you’re not a fan of the harder rock genre, you might find them annoying, but be warned – I’m not usually a fan of this genre, but I find Coretta Scott more than stomachable. Scream and Shout is an album that fans of bands like Bayside, Boys Night Out, and Glasseater should check out. If you like those bands, then Scream and Shout is a must own album for you. If not, give it a shot – you might be pleasantly surprised. I know I was.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
11:47 AM on 11/13/06
J to the Osh
User Info.
i like them. alot.
11:25 PM on 11/27/12
kbomb001
Jesus Saves
User Info.
That Name...
Options
More From This Author