AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Josh Doyle - The End of Fear EP Album Cover

Josh Doyle - The End of Fear EP

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Josh DoyleThe End of Fear EP
Release Date: October 25, 2004
Record Label: Unknown

Josh Doyle’s debut EP is acoustic rock accompanied with electronic drum beats and effects. Right off the bat, the first track “The End of Fear” hooked me with its dark, driving chord changes and quirky drum beats. Josh’s voice is very British and reminds me of early Muse at times. It’s almost haunting as it counters his music. The rest of the CD follows a similar format to the first song, with upbeat drumming and thick synth effects. Josh’s voice runs through the songs in a spacey manner. The real gem of the CD is the third track, “Boyracer”. This song is completely electronica-driven. Listeners will be able to detect a hint of BT in this song as trademark techno effects are used on both Josh’s voice and his drum beats. The album then takes a step back to a classic acoustic song, where Josh’s voice is strong and full for really the first time on the EP. Nothing is held back on “Solarstorm” as Josh pours his emotions out. The guitar work is nothing to sneeze at either. The final track is an 8 minute epic journey that brings all the pieces together as synth effects and beats balance Josh’s strong acoustic guitar.

Every single time I desired something more out of this EP, I got it in the next track. The EP gets progressively better as it goes on and on. The production is one of my only problems with this album. While it is not unbearable by any means, there are times where the synth beats mix somewhat awkwardly with the acoustic guitar. But for a debut EP, it is truly stellar work. All the pieces are there for Josh to be an incredible artist; they just need to be put together. Each song is just a little different, one track contains no synth, another contains no guitar. His best work is when he balances his instruments perfectly, and that only happens in the final track. Nonetheless, this is a must own EP for fans of The Postal Service or acoustic singer/songwriters like Howie Day.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version