AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Receiving End of Sirens, The - Between the Heart and... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.25
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 6.5
Production 4.75
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 6.5
Reviewer Tilt 6
Final Verdict: 64%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.04
Musicianship 9.05
Lyrics 9.02
Production 9.24
Creativity 9.32
Lasting Value 9.29
Reviewer Tilt 9.39
Average: 92%
Inside AP.net

Receiving End of Sirens, The - Between the Heart and...

Reviewed by: Scott Weber (11/21/05)
The Receiving End of Sirens – Between the Heart and the Synapse
Release Date: April 26, 2005
Record Label: Triple Crown Records

All hail the hype machine. The amount of buzz behind this album was gigantic to say the very least. The band’s full-length debut on Triple Crown Records hit stores April 26th, and the world was presented with one gigantic wall of sound. The Receiving End of Sirens have hit the scene with a new twist on a tired genre. The “screamo” trend is dying fast, and while TREOS’s music is considered to be nothing new to some, others will find depth to the music. There’s actually very little screaming on this album, something that I found to be refreshing. While most bands settle for screaming, TREOS is never one to shy away from a melody, and it pays off nicely in most parts. The album is a whopping 71 minutes long, an insanely long album for a band that plays mostly straight-forward music. But that’s not to say TREOS wastes this time, musical themes and lyrics reappear in several songs, strange electronic interludes are frequent at the end of songs, etc. There simply no wasted space on this album, the band got their money’s worth.

TREOS differs from other bands in its genre by using a plethora of vocalists, three guitars, and eerie electronic beats and effects accompanied by snappy drumming the occasional slap bass. This style is apparent right off the bat, with the excellent track “Planning a Prison Break.” Creative vocal rhythms balance with off-beat strumming patterns and syncopated drum beats. From this first track, one can tell right away that TREOS provides a different sound than many of their peers. The guitars do a great job driving songs forward, as the timing of downbeats is anything but standard. Rising bass riffs occur subtly in the background, often overshadowed by the constant barrage of vocals. “The Rival Cycle” is a slower paced song that once again incorporates syncopated downbeats, this time at a more leisurely pace. The verses have a tendency to drag, as up to three different vocal lines seem to fight back and forth, convoluting the music. This trend happens multiple times during the record. When the vocal overload is accompanied by the ever present triple guitar attack, it becomes a bit of a musical overload as songs feel like a wall of noise rather than a cohesive piece of music.

The middle of the album finds itself falling into a rut. “The Evidence” is a mess of drum fills and electronic clapping noises. The vocals are nothing short of stellar in this song however, as backing vocals support an excellent build-up into a great conclusion. “The War of All Against All” is a more structured song, with a clearly defined chorus and alternating vocal lines (think Emery). This is one of the stronger songs on the record, but after the next few tracks something becomes apparent – save for a select few tracks, the pacing of this record is quite unvaried. Songs run together, as each song is a jumble of electronic noises, wailing guitar runs, and vocal intonations which rarely change. While this is certainly creative musicianship, it’s just a mess of noise, and it becomes boring and unpleasant to listen to. There are no songs under 4 minutes long on this record, and songs have a hard time differentiating themselves from the last, making the listening experience severely deteriorated.

Luckily, the album manages to get itself out of the rut with two great tracks. “This Armistice” takes a turn towards progressive, as dramatic beats and keyboard effects combine with emotional transitions to create a truly epic chorus screaming out “Give me gravity/Give me clarity/Give me something to rely on…” This chorus is later accompanied by an impressive metal riff that is balanced nicely in the background. The next track is “Broadcast Quality,” my personal favorite on the album. Aggressive hits and offbeat rhythms drive this song forward into a verse full of all kinds of noise. Electronic clapping effects, stellar bass lines, and spacey electronic harmonies accompany a relatively simple vocal line. For once on this entire album, there’s not too much going on at once. While I respect TREOS’s urge to have a million sounds going on at once, it’s too convoluted most of the time and detracts from the listening experience. This is not the case. The rest of the song alludes to “Her fingers, like spiders…” several times, an awesome foreshadowing to the dramatic conclusion in which Casey screams that line over and over again over the syncopated rhythms of the band. It’s truly the high point of the album, and it’s capped with a bizarre transition into a breathtaking mini-interlude that sounds like a mix of Brian Wilson and Frou Frou – seriously.

The rest of the album is mostly unimpressive, as I found myself wondering what track I was on. With a few exceptions, you can skip to any single moment in the middle of any song on this album and have no idea which track it is, there’s a serious lack of song definition. The constant assault of vocals and effects take away from each song’s identity. However, the final track, “Epilogue,” is a fantastic ending to the album, pulling pieces from other songs while chanting a previous line from “Planning a Prison Break” over and over – “This is the last night in my body…” It is a truly stellar effort to wrap up what is a complete album.

There is no denying The Receiving End of Sirens’ creativity. This kind of music has been done over and over again, but TREOS brings something completely new to it. Listening to this album is at times an out of body experience, it’s something so familiar, yet so new. It truly is a wall of sound at all times, and it’s often disorienting because there’s so much stuff going on. The result is sometimes incredible, but it’s also occasionally muddled and overkill. A lack of diversity in tempo and structure can make this album fall into a rut. The syncopated rhythms are incredibly driving and energetic, but they use those same rhythms song after song. To be frank, this album is quite boring at times. It’s a good thing that it is made up for by having parts of absolute brilliance – I suppose that comes with making an album that is 71 minutes long. These guys are not the band to pull off an album that long, and if it were 20 minutes shorter, the songs would have more definition and the music wouldn’t grow old. There just needs to be some fat cut out. The Receiving End of Sirens are about two steps away from being a truly incredible band, and this album is only the first step for them. This isn’t an album that is a collection of random songs, its one unified piece. Between the Heart and the Synapse is a somewhat decent debut from a band that brings something new to a dying genre - but not enough.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 41
05:57 PM on 11/21/05
walshknilb281
Can't Stand Ya
User Info.
Originally Posted by Scott Weber
it may become one of your favorites.

I can see your point where you think it is too long and too many things going on at once but I absolutely love this album. It has become one of my favorites and is my album of 05
09:08 AM on 11/24/05
Latane
User Info.
Yea I mean no offense or anything but you can't sweat bands like Cartel who basically define cookie cutter pop rock and then try and say that TREOS does music that has been done before. If that's the case name me a few bands that sound like them??? Although a lot of bands have been trying to use a lot of digital effects lately, TREOS pull it off better then anyone...the production is amazing for an indie album. The last thing is that they combine so many different musical styles and make it work. I'm sorry all the songs can't be three minutes long. If you like mostly pop and emo maybe you should stick to reviewing those albums because seriously this is one of the best albums of the year.
09:53 AM on 11/24/05
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Originally Posted by Latane
Yea I mean no offense or anything but you can't sweat bands like Cartel who basically define cookie cutter pop rock and then try and say that TREOS does music that has been done before. If that's the case name me a few bands that sound like them??? Although a lot of bands have been trying to use a lot of digital effects lately, TREOS pull it off better then anyone...the production is amazing for an indie album. The last thing is that they combine so many different musical styles and make it work. I'm sorry all the songs can't be three minutes long. If you like mostly pop and emo maybe you should stick to reviewing those albums because seriously this is one of the best albums of the year.
Sorry dude, I actually am quite tired of pop and emo, and I don't review those albums, really. I tend to review more metal/hardcore than that these days. TREOS does do things differently, I stated that, and I give them that, but at it's core, it's still ... the same music I've heard a hundred times.

I don't know where you got the Cartel thing, perhaps you're confusing me with another staff member. I enjoy Cartel for what they are, but I'm hardly in love with them. Like I said before, my beef with this album is how cluttered it is, it just doesn't work. It's just an opinion though, nobody says you can't like it. It's just not my cup of tea. I got a ton of backlash when i initially posted this review several months ago, and I've heard it all before.
12:14 AM on 11/25/05
adozenroses
Sittin' Sidewayz
User Info.
other than saosin (pre-cove), treos has put my faith back into this so called "scene". this record will amaze...i agree with some points of the review, but i would of given this album at least an 8.5 or 9
02:32 PM on 11/25/05
ADDisfunforme
bounce pogo, bounce
User Info.
this album is amazing, every time i listen to it i pick up on something i haven't noticed before. This is most definately my album of the year.
12:33 AM on 11/27/05
hockeyplayer168
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
There is nothing that sounds remotely like TREOS. I went to a show before I knew who they were and I bought the CD on the spot because I was so impressed.
08:53 AM on 11/28/05
PaintMeBlue
Binary Solo!
User Info.
i am absolutely in love with this album. i can't stop listening to it. i've listend for months now and it still hasn't gotten old at all. i find something new almost everytime and the vocals send chills down my spine. when you said the songs sound the same it could be because all the songs tie in with each other in some way or another...like they're telling one big story. which is why i love this album so much. the best of '05 in my opinion.
01:10 AM on 02/03/06
this site blows
User Info.
Originally Posted by Scott Weber

The Receiving End of Sirens have hit the scene with a new twist on a tired genre. The “screamo” trend is dying fast,

i don't enjoy talking shit on ap.net staff but you seriously have no idea what your talking about. i would not consider this album "screamo". the demos maybe, but not the finished album. this is by far one of the best albums of '05 and maybe the most melodic album in the past two years.
09:46 AM on 02/03/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Originally Posted by this site blows
i don't enjoy talking shit on ap.net staff but you seriously have no idea what your talking about. i would not consider this album "screamo". the demos maybe, but not the finished album. this is by far one of the best albums of '05 and maybe the most melodic album in the past two years.
obviously I disagree, TREOS seems to have the most defensive fanboys in the scene. i gave this album another shot a few weeks ago, and I found it worse than ever. I give them props for trying something new, but it just doesn't work. If you think this is the most melodic album in 2 years, you really need to expand your taste.
10:53 PM on 02/14/06
thesewordslikef
.thesewordslikeflames.
User Info.
ok, i agree with most of this. i wouldnt personally file this under the "screamo" category, but then again what are genres? they are nothing more but an attempt to group together personal opinions. anyway, you complained that the disc was over 71 min. and that was way too long for you. you must also account for the fact that ten minutes of track 13 is silence. the actual music only comes out to about an hour. divide that by the 13 tracks and it comes out to be less than 5 min per song.
11:28 PM on 02/14/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Originally Posted by thesewordslikef
ok, i agree with most of this. i wouldnt personally file this under the "screamo" category, but then again what are genres? they are nothing more but an attempt to group together personal opinions. anyway, you complained that the disc was over 71 min. and that was way too long for you. you must also account for the fact that ten minutes of track 13 is silence. the actual music only comes out to about an hour. divide that by the 13 tracks and it comes out to be less than 5 min per song.
I don't give a shit. It's still way too long and the songs are too drawn out for the genre - period. It's not about math.
03:36 PM on 02/18/06
thesewordslikef
.thesewordslikeflames.
User Info.
honestly, i agree with you. this album is long as shit. i was just making sure that you did notice the 10 min. of silence there at the end. i suppose it is long because most concept albums are, but still it wasnt necessary for this particular disc. i enjoy "what to do when you are dead", armor for sleep's new disc. its a concept album and clocks in at only 43 minutes. perhaps TREOS can take note of this that it can be done...
03:21 PM on 05/03/06
Dan CiTi
To Let The World Be
User Info.
Originally Posted by adozenroses
other than saosin (pre-cove), treos has put my faith back into this so called "scene". this record will amaze...i agree with some points of the review, but i would of given this album at least an 8.5 or 9

Well Saosin are getting back to the pre-cove amazingness with what I've heard(Sleepers,Uphill Battle)
As for TREOS, yes they have their flaws as you pointed out. But to get the best reveiw I would go to All Music Guide which gives an amazing reveiw (no offense but their reveiwer(s) is oviously more skilled and been around longer). I still believe you reveiw has valid points just the AMG is much more expirenced and it is the reveiw posted on iTunes as well.
12:58 AM on 08/31/06
Therentman22
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Whoa... I'm sorry, but you need to listen to this album again. It is the best album I own, and I'm not just some stupid kid with a boner for post-hardcore. I mean, come on! 64%?! I understand not enjoying it, but to give it such a low score is downright unthinkable! I've been plugging this band to all of my friends and everyone I know, and they all agree with me. This band is seriously talented.

I'm just saying... You NEED to re-listen to this album. You will change your mind.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums