Album Review - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 37.
08:53 PM on 12/06/05
rossifrookin23
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So true... sorta...

granted, most ambient interludes suck ass. *cough*francisthemute*cough*
but many ambient interludes are both affective and necessary to the flow in between tracks

for example, de loused. That CD has freaking awesome interludes, and the tracks on the album wouldent be nearly as good without them. Look at Son Et Lumiere and Tira me a las Aranas, they both start their respective songs up perfectly. I mean if you want a straight adreneline shot youll just listen to drunkship, but nothing beats that tense build up, with a tasteful length and whatnot, and that drum roll right before the hot latin salsa jon theodore explosion.

not to mention this whole genre of music made up of freaking great ambient interludes called post-rock

but yeah the interludes on this cd are shit.

<3godspeed you black emperor
10:59 PM on 12/06/05
BlackSheepBoy
User Info.
I really see where you're coming from....

You are right about the interludes on both Mars Volta albums: De-Loused interludes = effective and Frances the Mute interludes = detrimental to the album.

And while there are certainly plenty more examples of garbage-interludes than tactful ones there are few bands that use ambience to their advantage, such as:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Explosions in the Sky
11:32 PM on 12/06/05
BlackSheepBoy
User Info.
Ha, just as i finished posting my reply i realized you had listed Godspeed You! as well. Very engaging band.
07:05 PM on 12/13/05
danknugga
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
yea the there is definetely way too much interlude action but i like a couple of them...dare i say the chiodos guy will only sound good if he screams. he sounds like a bitch on their album
11:35 PM on 12/20/05
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Originally Posted by apm158
rich balling did not play drums for rxb

he played trombone on Progress

RxB's drummer is Chris

come on Scott :) haha
wtf? I never said that Rich played drums for Rx Bandits in that entire review, I know that...that's why I said it featured members of Rx Bandits as WELL as Rich Balling. How would you even come to that conclusion?
04:17 AM on 12/21/05
analog_boy
to the joshmobile!
User Info.
Originally Posted by Scott Weber
wtf? I never said that Rich played drums for Rx Bandits in that entire review, I know that...that's why I said it featured members of Rx Bandits as WELL as Rich Balling. How would you even come to that conclusion?

rich balling, the drummer from rx bandits is in it as well.

And his name is actualling Rich Bailing. Just saying.
10:00 AM on 12/21/05
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Originally Posted by analog_boy
And his name is actualling Rich Bailing. Just saying.
No it's not. Get off my back guys, you're not even right. A simple google search would prove that you're wrong and I'm right - it's definitely Balling.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...rich+ba lling

p.s. didn't even look at the comments to the review....especially now that it's on page 2. obviously a typo because if you read the review you see i know otherwise.
01:32 PM on 12/21/05
analog_boy
to the joshmobile!
User Info.
No it's not. Get off my back guys, you're not even right. A simple google search would prove that you're wrong and I'm right - it's definitely Balling.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...rich+ba lling

p.s. didn't even look at the comments to the review....especially now that it's on page 2. obviously a typo because if you read the review you see i know otherwise.

Ok cool, sorry. I've just check my RX Bandits booklet and it turns out you are right. How could this happen to me? Haha. Apologies.
03:52 PM on 12/21/05
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Originally Posted by analog_boy
Ok cool, sorry. I've just check my RX Bandits booklet and it turns out you are right. How could this happen to me? Haha. Apologies.
I know man, you're the Analog Boy!!!
10:04 PM on 12/21/05
alexwohl29_90
Wohlverine
User Info.
Anything we throw at Scott he comes back at us 10 times harder..face it...he pretty much owns...
10:04 PM on 12/21/05
alexwohl29_90
Wohlverine
User Info.
hopefully the new TSOAF album will sound at least half as good as this album with fewer interludes.
10:39 PM on 12/21/05
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Originally Posted by alexwohl29_90
hopefully the new TSOAF album will sound at least half as good as this album with fewer interludes.
yeah seriously. i hope we get a real full-length.
10:22 AM on 01/30/06
The Game
User Info.
this album is intresting, sometimes misses sometimes hits

wish more bands would put more thaught into songs

a good move forward
10:50 PM on 02/11/06
Shatter_Glass
Take Apart Your Head
User Info.
TSOAF = LoVe in it's purist form (MINUS THE DAMN INTERLUDES!!!!) lol
03:27 AM on 05/26/06
lildrumboy
User Info.
For those of you who care, or do not know. and maybe its been posted elsewhere, but here is the line up i know of.

The Nightingale - Rich Balling (Vocals) Rx Bandits

The Walrus - Matt Embree (Lead Guitar) Rx Bandits

The Lynx - Chris Tsagakis (Drums) Rx Bandits

The Tiger - r2k (Guitar) Finch

The Tortoise - Derek Doherty (Bass) Finch

The Skunk - Anthony Green (Vocals) CS

The Bear - Chris Fudurich (Mixing and Programming) Producer (Rx, Nada, Allister)

The Raven - Marc Mcknight (Artwork) Atreyu

The Swan - Vanessa Chibba (Public Relations)

The Dog - Chris Haynie (Author of Story behind the Music) *ahem* Angels and Airwaves

The Ferret - Kyle Homme (Engineer)

The Octopus - Charlie Adams (Patrone)

The Armadillo - Rich Zahniser (Engineer, Vocals) Hippos

There Is also a 14th "member" The Llamma, a girl who sang on the record. but thats a secret.

Now my thoughts on the band: Its cute to have the whole team working with and behind you to considerably be part of the band, but act as members, and even give them names which are promoted as members... This just doesnt make sense to me, and seems somewhat lame. It's a concept, and a spin off of a "new" idea. But much of what makes this band up has already been done concept wise and sound wise, its really nothing new. I'll give respect to the record, they did a decent job, but i dont think its anything to write home about, i didnt fall out of my chair when i gave it a first listen.

Interesting concept, it would have been more interesting if members had remained anonymous. But who cant spot anthony's voice from a mile away.

cheers.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News