Password

Album Review

Fetterline - The Kings Invicta Album Cover

Fetterline - The Kings Invicta

Reviewed by
Fetterline - The Kings Invicta
Release Date: August 2, 2005
Record Label: Roam the River

It is clear that there is an overabundance of aggressive emo/rock acts these days; spend a mere 15 minutes browsing purevolume.com, and no further proof will be necessary. Fetterline does indeed fall into this category of testosterone-driven, melodic rock, but fortunately, they have held off on the all-too-common, unnecessary screams that plague most other bands (although they let it slip in a couple times), and have instead focused on their songwriting and overall execution.

Iíve spent a good amount of time listening to this CD, but havenít quite been able to place who Fetterline sounds like (aside from Britney Spearsí husbandís last name). Sometimes I feel like comparing them toYesterdayís Rising (albeit without any of the screaming and much, much less emocore influence), mainly due to the vocals, the riff-intensive nature of the album, and the guitar tones (sometimes even the snare reminds me of the snare on Yesterdayís Rising WWSWB EP (eek!)). Other times, I can kind of see Hidden in Plain View fans enjoying this release, just in terms of the overall vibe given off.

Unfortunately, the album starts off with a sample of a beating heart, not at all unlike Senses Failís From the Depths of Dreams EP. Cheesy? Yes. Probably not the best way to start off an album, but Iíll forgive them. Anyways, most of the The Kings Invicta maintains a relatively moderate to fast paced tempo, which at times detracts from the albumís overall impact; however, the energy is always there, and thatís never a question, nor is it really that much of a complaint. The other thing that didnít quite draw me in with this release is that after listening to it 4 times in a row, I couldnít really recall a single chorus, or for that matter, any part of any song. The music is all good and well-written, itís just not that catchy. Iím not asking for New Found Glory or anything, but more memorable songs would be nice.

Overall, a pretty impressive release, especially for such a small band. The production sounds pretty good, although at times the drums do sound a bit too triggered, so thatís never an issue either. As hinted earlier, Iíd recommend this CD to people who like Yesterdayís Rising and Hidden in Plain View, as well as fans of melodic rock/emocore who are simply sick of lame ass screaming. Iíd keep an eye on these guys if I were you.
This review is a user submitted review from Rohan Kohli. You can see all of Rohan Kohli's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version