AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Ericson - Resting on Right Now EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 3%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Ericson - Resting on Right Now EP

Reviewed by: Rohan Kohli (11/21/05)
Ericson - Resting on Right Now EP
Release Date: October 6, 2005
Record Label: Independent

You will never be able to lick your elbow. Some turtles can breathe through their butts. What do these statements have in common? They’re facts. Really, they are! So is this: Ericson rocks.

Resting On Right Now, Ericson’s debut EP, was a totally unexpected treat in my mailbox. While Resting On Right Now does indeed have that “familiar” emo-rock sound, it doesn’t remind me of anyone specifically. I hear hints of Further Seems Forever every once in a while, particularly in the warm, layered guitars of “Any Port In A Storm” and “As We Sleep,” but I occasionally get a This Day & Age vibe in songs such as the heavily syncopated, extremely ear-pleasing “Hesitations” (my favorite song on the EP; please, please, please check it out on pureVOLUME) and the mid-tempo rocker “Through Weather We Fall.” The vocals also remind me just a little bit of Jason Gleason (ex-Further Seems Forever), but not quite as impassioned and dynamic. Don’t get me wrong though, Thomas Whitehead’s bold, smooth vocals are certainly solid; quite good indeed.

Perhaps the most striking feature of the EP is its maturity. From the music down to the production and the artwork, everything seems very well thought-out and is executed with class. The music simply sounds mature; I don’t really know what else I can say. These guys sound like road-hardened veterans, even though they’ve only been together for about a year. I’m really anticipating their full length—I feel like this EP shows us just a glimpse of what the band is capable of, as good as it is.

The production on the EP, courtesy of John Naclerio (Brand New, My Chemical Romance), is nice and thick, while retaining a good little bite to it: the drums are dense, the guitars are smooth and not overly distorted, and the overall impact of the recording is impressive.

Ericson may come across as a bit generic at times, but the songwriting is always there. Everything is solid. Now, I’m sure this will come across as an asshole comment, but sometimes I feel like the vocals could be just a little more intense. The vocals are really good, that’s for sure, but I think there’s just that little extra something that’s missing. Then again, I can’t sing for shit. I’m just a nerd sitting behind a laptop. What do I know?

Resting On Right Now impressed the balls out of me (even the obligatory acoustic song at the end! The harmonies are simply wonderful), and there is no doubt in my mind that Ericson will be a favorite for many; just a little bit of fine-tuning, and this band will be ready for the big time. I urge you to check out the song “Hesitations” on the band’s pureVOLUME page—it’s been one of my most played tracks this past week. Oh, and did you know all polar bears are left handed?

P.S. I bet 75% of you tried licking your elbow during the course of this review.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3.
02:48 AM on 11/22/05
Jason Tate
User Info.
Hsahahaha... Nice.
05:20 PM on 08/23/08
owiseone35
You need human heat
User Info.
Hey thse guys have a new EP its so good. Please review it Blake. Or get a review up they need the exposure.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests