AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Audition, The - Controversy Loves Company Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 8
Production 9
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.75
Production 9.63
Creativity 9.13
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.88
Average: 93%
Inside AP.net

Audition, The - Controversy Loves Company

Reviewed by: more heart (04/03/09)
The Audition - Controversy Loves Company
Record Label: Victory Records
Release Date: September 20, 2005

Bold is a word that's rarely, if ever, used to describe a pop-punk band. By and large, it’s a genre that plays by the rules, definitely the last place to search when looking for a band that tries to shake things up a bit. Yet "bold" is a completely appropriate word to use when describing Controversy Loves Company, the debut record from Chicago pop-punks, The Audition.

It would be difficult to not notice what makes Controversy Loves Company so refreshing upon the first listen. That in mind, the first song, “Dance Halls Turn to Ghost Towns,” doesn’t necessarily reinforce that point. It is a fairly mediocre song with some questionable lyrics (“Would you please put on your dance shoes? ‘Cause I’m sick of dancing alone.”) Promptly following “Dance Halls” is “You’ve Made Us Conscious” which is easily the stand-out track off Controversy. This a high energy and very catchy song that attacks scene politics. Everything about this song in particular, is exactly what makes Controversy Loves Company so great. While there is no doubt that this record is catchy, it isn’t sugary in any way whatsoever. It’s also a record with well thought out and well-written lyrics. Controversy does not bombard its listeners with 10 songs of heartache and the obligatory “I’m so in love with you” song. It condenses those themes in to just a few songs leaving the rest of the record for the band to experiment with lyric topics.

The rest of Controversy follows the formula the band has established earlier on the record. In addition to “You’ve Made Us Conscious,” “Approach the Bench” and “Lawyers” are other noteworthy tracks with great lyrics. The latter explores the business vs. art debate within music. Something that becomes noticeably clear as the record progresses is the talent of vocalist Danny Stevens. Tracks like “Approach the Bench” and “Rep Your Clique” showcase Stevens’ wide range and powerful voice.

The lyrics are without a question one of the strongest features on Controversy Loves Company. Unfortunately, there are some bumps in the road. Much like the opener, “Don’t Be So Hard” is another track that has a few questionable lyrics. This is virtually the only track on Controversy that follows the topic of heartbreak/love. That said, it is still a highly enjoyable song with a memorable chorus.

Most times it’s not even necessary to reinvent the wheel. Instead, the focus should be on making the wheel stand out, something that Controversy Loves Company successfully does. It’s rare to see records in the pop punk genre complete this task, let alone on a debut record from a fairly young band. While this record may never go down as a classic, it certainly has the credentials to be classified as such.

Recommended If You LikeFall Out Boy; Just Surrender; June; The Academy Is...

myspace.com/theaudition

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
07:12 AM on 04/17/09
Untitled09
I re-hee-hee-hee-lay don't care.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've heard Champion which was their first album in 3 years and they have a new upcoming one. I heard the acoustic of Don't be so hard and seen the video for You've made us. I wanted to listen to this album but no one torrents it anymore. I guarantee I would love it. But I have to find it first.
08:25 AM on 04/17/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Champion is better.
08:51 AM on 04/17/09
FaceLixeMurder
Amplitude!
User Info.
Champion was listenable but I enjoyed Controversy more, guess cause I was young. But I am really excited for the S/T, sounds sweet
01:07 PM on 04/17/09
ExplodingStereo
User Info.
Champion is better.
Absolutely. This was a medeocre first label release, but Champion proved to me that these guys know how to mix pop and rock without it sounding stale and generic. Can't wait to buy the new album.
09:28 AM on 04/18/09
DaveZeroZero
I forgot how many posts I had.
User Info.
It's about time that this album got reviewed on here. It's a really fantastic album and, contrary to what some of the people here are saying, is far superior to Champion.
10:01 AM on 04/18/09
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
Easily their best album (though Champion was still good).
Not a fan of the new album so far.
10:49 AM on 04/18/09
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
It's about time that this album got reviewed on here. It's a really fantastic album and, contrary to what some of the people here are saying, is far superior to Champion.
Thanks and yes, this record is far superior to Champion.
06:26 PM on 04/20/09
circatbs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I still have to check these guys out.

Good review.
07:56 PM on 04/20/09
Yellowcard2006
I'll buy you a raincoat
User Info.
I really only like "Don't Be So Hard" this album just bores me every time I try and listen to it. But Champion was what really sold me on this band. A very solid album. The Self-titled album (I've heard half of it) sounds like it beats both of them.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums