AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Copeland November 2005

Interviewed by
Copeland November 2005State your name and duties in the band.
My names Aaron Marsh. I play guitar and sing in Copeland.

A lot of the users on absolutepunk wanted to know when and if we can expect a Copeland and Underoath tour.

We toured together maybe, four years ago, but we havenít really discussed one since then. Weíre good friends, so I shouldnít rule out the possibility, but thereís no plans at this point.

Thereís a big musical difference in your albums. You drastically improved and already good formula. What prompted this change and can we expect more piano driven songs in the future?

I donít think anything in particular prompted the change, we grew musically. We toured for a really long time, and grew together as a band. All the songs from Beneath Medicine Tree were written over a three year span, and the songs from In Motion were written in about six months. So thereís a pretty big difference in the amount of time we spent on it. I think In Motion was a lot more representative of where the band was at the time. Thereís a good chance of more piano driven songs, I actually just bought a brand new piano. So chances are Iíll write more songs on the piano.
Iím pretty excited about the piano.

Whatís your favorite album youíve done?

I like them all for different reasons. I have fond memories of recording Beneath Medicine Tree. I donít listen to Copeland that often, but if I did, I would listen to In Motion.

Do you prefer small tours with a more intimate setting, or larger tours where you can expose your music to people more?

I like supporting more than headlining. I get nervous trying to please an audience thatís primarily there for us. I feel a lot more comfortable when the goal is to win over the audience.

How has Copelandís overseas support been?

Good. In Motion just came out in Japan and in the UK. Weíve toured both, met a lot of great people and done some great shows.

Is there any reason you havenít done Warped Tour?

We actually did a week of Warped two years ago. We didnít feel it, the crowd didnít seem like our kind of thing. It was really hot and we had to load in really early.
single or video from In Motion?

Will there be another video or single from In Motion?

I donít know. Weíve talked about doing a video for No One Really Wins. But I donít think that will actually happen.

What has been the general reaction from In Motion as compared to Beneath Medicine Tree?

Pretty good. I think those who donít like the new record as much at least respect us for trying something different. I think everyone knows weíre not going to make another In Motion. If you didnít like it just stick around and wait for us to do something different.

Whatís been your favorite tour so far?

My favorite tour this date is probably one of the first tours we did, it was with Watashi Wa. We just totally clicked with that band.

What can we expect from Copeland in 2006?

Weíll do some more tours supporting In Motion, and then weíll start tracking another record.

Do you have any parting words for the readers of absolutepunk?

Thanks for paying attention to our band, thanks for appreciating what we do.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
05:26 PM on 11/23/05
kittypants
lordsaveusfromourscene.co m
User Info.
i love this band.
07:04 PM on 11/23/05
crzydrmmer
my name is adam, indeed
User Info.
yah... they kick ass
12:52 AM on 11/24/05
superplaid
User Info.
yeah they are. i talked to each of the four members back in march at SXSW for a bit, and then james the bassist at their show in austin over the summer. they are incredible people and make themselves accessible to anyone. and they are very humble people.

but dammit i want a video for No One Really Wins!!!!!!!
01:06 AM on 11/24/05
DaveHallow
is APPLEcore
User Info.
so so good. In Motion is one of my faves for this year.
01:04 PM on 11/24/05
halfamile
elimidate champion
User Info.
easily one of the best albums of the year...Copeland is so talented and original, a great band, thumbs up
10:10 PM on 11/24/05
itmakesyoufeel
User Info.
sigh
i love them.
please come back to indiana.
or at least ohio.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music