Username
Password

Album Review - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 70.
12:32 PM on 04/05/09
Petzl
LETS GET A (MARIO) PARTY STARTED!
User Info.
This band is great, i'm looking forward to this.
12:45 PM on 04/05/09
oddwithoutend
i know i've met everyone but you
User Info.
Ok important question. Common Reactor was my favorite song on Carnavas, and imo the perfect album closer. How does the final song on Swoon compare?
Common Reactor remains one of sspu's best tracks.
12:50 PM on 04/05/09
texasismyreason
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Don't think it's fair to make a major assumption that they inserted hooks for "radio appeal". Maybe because they thought it would sound good?
12:52 PM on 04/05/09
holybuble
User Info.
Yea, they get ripped on sometimes for sounding too much like the Pumpkins, but I consider them unique enough.
just because journalists are boring and without fantasy.this band is fantastic.Refreshing and exciting.
01:54 PM on 04/05/09
EndSerenading
we were born for battle
User Info.
Yea, they get ripped on sometimes for sounding too much like the Pumpkins, but I consider them unique enough.
ok after listening to their last album through and now listening to this album...I can see the comparison in certain riffs or certain isolated sections of their stuff, but as a whole I don't think they are really that close to Smashing Pumpkins. You can tell they were influenced by them but thats about it. Either way I am enjoying their stuff :D
02:01 PM on 04/05/09
11:11
Soft sound
User Info.
Fantastic album.
02:12 PM on 04/05/09
AlinA82688
get with it or get lost
User Info.
i've never listened to a leaked album so much in my life. when this comes out i'm buying the shit out of it
02:14 PM on 04/05/09
siamesedream
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I absolutely hated this band's last record - and the fact that everyone seemed to compare it to the Pumpkins, my favorite band, really pushed me further over the edge. I didnt see the similarity other than higher-pitched male vocals and an attempt at fuzzy guitars that sounded like cleaned up samples of fuzzy guitars. It didn't sound remotely 90s and i felt it was an insult to compare them to the bands i love. To me it was like saying Nickelback sounded like Nirvana

The other day, i heard "Panic Switch" and i have to say this band got it right this time around. I'm approaching this album with open ears and hoping it's going to change my mind on them. On the single, the guitars sound like guitars, the basslines are crisp and prominent, overall its just more powerful and full, and there's more of a soft/loud dynamic that didnt have any punch on the last record...even the singer has grown on me, whereas before i thought he should be singing for some shitty modern pop rock band like Umbrellas or Jacks Mannequin.
02:14 PM on 04/05/09
AlinA82688
get with it or get lost
User Info.
it's nice to know you wear cologne
haha what a great first post
02:28 PM on 04/05/09
oddwithoutend
i know i've met everyone but you
User Info.
it's nice to know you wear cologne
Haha
05:45 PM on 04/05/09
PoisonInMyVeins
The government
User Info.
I wasn't a big fan of Carnavas. I'll check it out regardless.
05:53 PM on 04/05/09
Analog Rebellion
User Info.
just because journalists are boring and without fantasy.this band is fantastic.Refreshing and exciting.
Agreed.

I absolutely hated this band's last record - and the fact that everyone seemed to compare it to the Pumpkins, my favorite band, really pushed me further over the edge. I didnt see the similarity other than higher-pitched male vocals and an attempt at fuzzy guitars that sounded like cleaned up samples of fuzzy guitars. It didn't sound remotely 90s and i felt it was an insult to compare them to the bands i love. To me it was like saying Nickelback sounded like Nirvana

The other day, i heard "Panic Switch" and i have to say this band got it right this time around. I'm approaching this album with open ears and hoping it's going to change my mind on them. On the single, the guitars sound like guitars, the basslines are crisp and prominent, overall its just more powerful and full, and there's more of a soft/loud dynamic that didnt have any punch on the last record...even the singer has grown on me, whereas before i thought he should be singing for some shitty modern pop rock band like Umbrellas or Jacks Mannequin.
Harsh. I think the shoe-gazer vibe that the Silversun Pickups sometimes embody might not be your thing, but I personally love it. I loved the production of their last album. Everything was loud, everything was totally over-compressed, everything sounded amazing, in my opinion. Brian's guitar tone is so unique, and it's one of my favorite things about the band.
08:17 PM on 04/05/09
siamesedream
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Agreed.

Harsh. I think the shoe-gazer vibe that the Silversun Pickups sometimes embody might not be your thing, but I personally love it. I loved the production of their last album. Everything was loud, everything was totally over-compressed, everything sounded amazing, in my opinion. Brian's guitar tone is so unique, and it's one of my favorite things about the band.

On the contrary...look at my favorite band list - the problem I had was that I love 90s shoegaze and alt-rock more than any other type of music...and i felt they didn't do that sound well and had no right being compared to the Pumpkins, or great shoegaze bands like My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Swervedriver, etc...

Modern shoegaze done right? check out Fleeting Joys, Amusement Parks on Fire, or even the first Asobi Seksu record...although I did say I will give the Pickups credit for their new single and I plan to listen to the new record. The guitar tone and lack of bass presence are my personal main complaint of the band's last album. Putting a little overdrive on something doesnt make shoegaze. There's alot more layering, volume, and/or use of the tremolo in the guitar playing that creates that style.
08:55 PM on 04/05/09
EndSerenading
we were born for battle
User Info.
Agreed.

I have to disagree and say that I think the production was a little too clean on the guitars. Not enough to ruin it as I still enjoyed it but if you listen to Siamese Dream or Gish, the "raw" quality is really what made those productions absolutely perfect for their style at the time. Sometimes it just sounds a little weird to have as clean of a production as they have and still be pushing the fuzzed up guitar tone they are going for.

And I agree with ^ that Amusement Parks on Fire are good. They have great production for a modern shoegaze band. More raw and has more room to breathe. Production is my main complaint with silversun (but once again I still enjoy them)
09:32 PM on 04/05/09
arson
User Info.
Good review, I'm really looking forward to picking this up soon.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests