Username
Password
Recommended News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Recommended
Inside AP.net

Staff Recommendations (11/27/05)

Posted by: Frank Giaramita (11/26/05)
The staff recommendations for the week can be found below (click "Read More" to view all of them).

Frank: I had my friend Aileen at East/West join me. Check it out.

Brandon A.: Tada!

Caleb: I had my boy Justin from Lorene Drive help me. Check it out.

Scott: Johnny Cash.

Darren: This week, it's an all-Canadian edition of my recs. Check it out right here.

Jason Tate: Summerside, Paper Models, and Envy on the Coast.

Drew B.: Check my ish here.

Jonathan Lally: Check out my recs here. This week, Dave Smallen of Street To Nowhere joins me on recs.

Jared Kaufman: Bright Eyes, Johnny Cash, Explosions In The Sky, A Wilhelm Scream, Chin Up Chin Up and Page France.

Rohan Kohli: This week, Andy Lee, former guitarist of Cartel and drummer extraordinaire, joined me for recommendations. Check out our recs right here. Andy seriously listens to the best stuff in the world; go check out every band he recommends.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 36
09:31 PM on 11/26/05
wangzackphil
that's dumb
User Info.
These are pretty good...this is why God made Sundays im pretty sure....recommendations. yeah, that's def why God invented Sundays. I'm looking at/applying to colleges in the Southeast....if anybody knows good ones let me know. thx
10:12 PM on 11/26/05
Rohan Kohli
True Punk Fan
User Info.
Originally Posted by wangzackphil
These are pretty good...this is why God made Sundays im pretty sure....recommendations. yeah, that's def why God invented Sundays. I'm looking at/applying to colleges in the Southeast....if anybody knows good ones let me know. thx

Emory's pretty lame.
10:12 PM on 11/26/05
byebyebeautiful
conor is not scene.
User Info.
rick barton - he used to be in dropkick murphys. then he left and went solo. more folk rock than punk rock, but good nonetheless.

hey mercedes - i'm just starting to get into them, after being a huuuuuge braid/city on film fan.

cap'n jazz - the members went on to form the promise ring, american football, owen, joan of arc, make believe, among others i'm sure.

the streets - they're british hip hop. need i say more?

the lido venice - ben's band after treos and before/during sharp teeth. i like it. they're recording their first and final full length right now. hopefully, it'll turn out well. i think it will.

xoxo conor

p.s. i demoed in my friend's basement. five songs in three hours. if you could listen to them on my myspace, that would be wonderful. www.myspace.com/conorhutchinson.
10:28 PM on 11/26/05
quitmyscene
skin, bones, blood, teeth
User Info.
saves the day and say anything- you've heard both these bands already. for the past (almost) week, i've been listening to "...is a real boy" and "stay what you are/through being cool" (i lost the cds, so i burned them toegether) almost constantly on repeat. my ipod broke and when i came home from thanksgiving and opened itunes, i found myself going back to these cds (plus their others). so incredible, both bands.

also, i had "your favorite weapon" and "tell all your friends" with me, which also never get old. give 'em each a spin.

the magic numbers- i saw them with bright eyes tuesday, and they definitely impressed me. they kind of reminded me of the arcade fire/the weakerthans, but that's probably just me.

kevin devine- split the country, split the street. i haven't listened to this cd in a while, but it's wonderful. make sure you give this a(nother) listen before making your "best of" lists.
10:31 PM on 11/26/05
quitmyscene
skin, bones, blood, teeth
User Info.
Originally Posted by byebyebeautiful
p.s. i demoed in my friend's basement. five songs in three hours. if you could listen to them on my myspace, that would be wonderful. www.myspace.com/conorhutchinson.

craazy. i was about to recommend you, then i refreshed and saw this.
so instead, i'll second this.
10:37 PM on 11/26/05
TimeAsIdeology
Strongarmin Hos Since '86
User Info.
Does anyone put any god damn effort into these things? Jesus. Well, I've got no issue with Darren, despite the fact that he's promoting Canadian bands, which means they're inherently evil. I can't fault Scott, either though, the man in black is timeless.

But seriously, Caleb, what the fuck is that garbage? "Uh, they're uh, uh, yeah Tooth & Nail." Can you be bothered to write more than 4 words about these fucking bands? Christ. And Frank can't be bothered to write about anything besides pop rock, and Brandon ska. I realize people have niches, and areas of expertise, but branch out a little bit.

I'll do some, because I've got time to kill, and let's be honest, I'm awesome;

Harvest - Transitions is an essential release for anyone who thinks they're into metalcore. The shit that's out there today, that's some regurgitated bullshit, check this band out to see where the genre started. Along the lines of Skycamefalling, Threadbare, and Shai Hulud.

Wu-Tang Clan - This group really needs no introduction, and its members solo releases are as top notch as a lot of the stuff they recorded together, but 36 Chambers is a seminal rap album if there ever was one, the most intelligent rhymes you'll ever find, with 10 extremely talented rappers to spit them.

Dead Hearts - Terrific melodic hardcore out of Buffalo, in vein of With Honor and Ruiner, both their self titled and No Love, No Hope absolutely shred. Rock 'n' roll infused hardcore the way it should be played. Loud, brash, and honest.

Jeff Buckley - You want beautiful, sincere music? Grace is one of the most heartfelt albums ever recorded.

Naked City - One of John Zorn's many, many projects. Terrific free jazz integrated with Thrash Metal. Not to be missed.
10:42 PM on 11/26/05
Kelley Nicole
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The Elected - Sun, Sun, Sun
Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat

Both albums come out January 24th, and both are fucking amazing country/soul/pop/whatever you want to call them albums. They sound very...classic, and nothing like Rilo. The feeling I got when listening to both of them was, "How has this never been recorded before?" These will without a doubt be two of my favorites of 2006. I have to say, Sun, Sun, Sun completely blows Me First away. Blake's a fucking genius and I hope more people realize that once this record comes out.

I played (like always) a lot of Broken Social Scene, Wolf Parade, and Sunset Rubdown this week in addition to those other two albums I mentioned, and I've been on an Atlas Strategic kick the past few weeks as well. Oh, Tegan and Sara has gotten quite a bit of play the past couple of days too. So I guess I recommend all that.
10:43 PM on 11/26/05
kevin111
Kevin111
User Info.
If you aren't listening to that guy Jeremy Larson, you are crazy. He's incredible, thanks for the rec.
Here are a few more people should be listening to.....

The Verdict - This is a band out of NC that is making quite a stir in the music scene out here. They are just feel good rock. His vocals are nice and gruff and her's are sweet and very complimentary. They sound like an upbeat Lydia with better guitar. Please check these guys out.
www.purevolme.com/theverdict

mewithoutYou- Fantastic band, once you get into them, there's no getting out

Ryan Adams - Anything (except Rock n' Roll) this man has done has been amazing. One of my personal favorites is "Hotel Chelsea Nights". Listen to him and better your week.

Nada Surf - "Let Go" - Amazing album, for fans of Death Cab and such
11:24 PM on 11/26/05
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Originally Posted by TimeAsIdeology
Does anyone put any god damn effort into these things? Jesus. Well, I've got no issue with Darren, despite the fact that he's promoting Canadian bands, which means they're inherently evil. I can't fault Scott, either though, the man in black is timeless.
I used to put effort into it, but the east coast staffers always jump the gun and post it at midnight there, when it's 9 pm here, so I'm always hanging out on a Saturday night, often having some beers, sooooo.... heh
11:35 PM on 11/26/05
badboy
User Info.
Envy on the coast is great.

I want to hear more of them.
11:48 PM on 11/26/05
TimeAsIdeology
Strongarmin Hos Since '86
User Info.
Originally Posted by Scott Weber
I used to put effort into it, but the east coast staffers always jump the gun and post it at midnight there, when it's 9 pm here, so I'm always hanging out on a Saturday night, often having some beers, sooooo.... heh

You could reccomend Johnny Cash every week for all I care, and it would never go out of style.

Also, I could go for a couple Yuengling 22's right now. God damnit.
11:50 PM on 11/26/05
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Originally Posted by TimeAsIdeology
You could reccomend Johnny Cash every week for all I care, and it would never go out of style.

Also, I could go for a couple Yuengling 22's right now. God damnit.
F'real.
12:26 AM on 11/27/05
TheBestBet
Toph
User Info.
Envy on The Coast will be huge, wait till you hear the song Suckerpunch. Probably one of the best songs i have ever heard.
02:34 AM on 11/27/05
Adeniz19
whikawhikawhaaat
User Info.
johnny cash is the shiz
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music