Password

Album Review

Holiday Parade - Tickets & Passports Album Cover

Holiday Parade - Tickets & Passports

Reviewed by
Holiday ParadeTickets & Passports
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: April 7, 2009
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Despite appearances, I am not a hater. I have a thirst for love. So when Holiday Parade held an AP.net chat and totally kicked ass with fans and critics alike, I immediately got warm fuzzies. The chance to hear another promising band still holds a magical grip over me. Though some call AP.net’s rating system bloated, each score over 85% is another opportunity for awe and amazement. Holiday Parade had me (pop) hook, line and sinker. They had me chasing right along with the fervor of a stalker. I told my roommates last night, “I’ll be upstairs discovering my new favorite band.” Thirty-eight minutes later I crept out of my room, grizzled and tired. I had not found my favorite band. I had found something much, much worse.

It’s hard to say who went more wrong, Holiday Parade or me. Why I thought their Cartel-ish style and Kidz Bop lyricism sounded appealing is something I still can’t explain. Even more inconceivable is the fact that Tickets & Passports was written and recorded by grown men. Holiday Parade awakened a negative beast within me because of their cheesy handclap singalongs (“Forever”) and startlingly similar piano rock (“Getaway” and “Time For Me”). “Getaway” would be a good opener due to its male-female harmonization and synthesized strings, but the track inexplicably ends with sing-speaking of the lines: “Late nights burnt out in bars / We live our lives like falling stars / The way I see it we’ve come so far / And hey, I might stay / Step back to where we were / Feels like 10,000 years before / The moment that you shut the door / I’d say, How ‘bout we get away.” I mean, context counts for everything, but there’s no saving such triteness.

When Holiday Parade let loose and wail the results are usually positive (“Turn It Up” and, at times, “Change My Mind”). Make no mistake, despite his lyrical flaws, Andy Albert can really sing. His soft tenor channels emotion well, especially in 6-minute closer “Tickets & Passports.” But more often than not he is forced to take backseats to the less-than-noteworthy playing of his band members (see the Nine Days-esque “Where Did I Go”). His ability to go fast without losing any melody should be exploited. Instead, Albert tries his hand at whistle-laden, acoustic clichés (“Look Out Below (This Love)”) and halfhearted odes to the admirable qualities of Andrew McMahon (“Southern Skies”).

I understand how and why Holiday Parade garnered a fanbase. Tickets & Passports offers inviting, mindless music perfect for pre-teens and really drunk college students. But if I were to put the top down with Holiday Parade playing, it’d only be for the purpose of drowning out the monotony. There’s no doubt Holiday Parade will pick up a fan or ten with Tickets & Passports. If they rev up the tempo and let Albert be the star he so clearly is, the next jump in popularity will be exponentially more successful.

Recommended If You Like: Cartel, Jack's Mannequin, unsweetened chocolate, The Maine, dry roasted peanuts

She calls it 'Garfunkling'www.myspace.com/holidayparade

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 181
10:57 PM on 04/06/09
GoodTimes
regret would require less arrogance
User Info.
46 is too high. This album is painfully horrible.
10:59 PM on 04/06/09
zubinmoosa
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV
User Info.
ouch
11:10 PM on 04/06/09
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
I was told that this was an enjoyable pop-rock record.

I was lied to.
11:27 PM on 04/06/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
I got a feeling Blake is right on the money. Great review, man.
12:45 AM on 04/07/09
briXinRhands
>>----------;;----l>
User Info.
as much as I wanted this to be great, I'm afraid you are right on the money. Some really catchy tunes but most of it comes across as way too cheesy.
12:56 AM on 04/07/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
I've done my best to get into them, and a few songs here and there have been decent. But the lyrics here are painful and honestly, I feel like I just sucked down a huge helping of frosting when I hear this; I feel rotten and bloated.

Great review, Blakester -- really hit the nail on the head with this one. Don't understand all the praise from some members for this, because I find it worse than some of the other pop-rock that floats through and gets ripped on.
12:58 AM on 04/07/09
DI Pistola
tune in Tokyo
User Info.
Crank up the cheeze.

Really feels like they're trying too hard to channel the glory days of SoCo into something more palatable to the masses. I don't know.
I'm sad--was looking forward to this.
01:08 AM on 04/07/09
leaving_astoria
get old or die trying
User Info.
most of the songs are flat and way to cheesy idk. i was really looking forward for this one by the hype they were given and for theyre previous Ep, was decently promising. really dissapointing, i just cant get into this one.
01:15 AM on 04/07/09
djsclaus
www.brandonmarshall.net
User Info.
Their old stuff is so much better. This is such a bad album compared to their old stuff.

I'm listening to it right now and there's definitely not a single track that sticks out.

Their other stuff not on this album = wayy better (see: Never Enough, Slam Crunk)
01:17 AM on 04/07/09
bcguy21
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Man these lyrics are just awfullllll...The guy has a pretty damn good voice though.
01:26 AM on 04/07/09
trappedintime
Yea, you were right about me
User Info.
I thought this was gonna be the next big band here on AP. I never really cared for them and I don't think I will now.
01:40 AM on 04/07/09
jco3
Hi.
User Info.
The single they released on Myspace in support of this album was very LFO; yeah, not a good thing.
01:57 AM on 04/07/09
heyzombiehitler
has feelings
User Info.
Where is that "she calls it garfunkling" line from again?
02:07 AM on 04/07/09
Enoma Otenki
otenkirocks.com
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i will listen to the record but this review has me a little fearful

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles