AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Big City Dreams - Honesty Album Cover

Big City Dreams - Honesty

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Big City Dreams – Honesty

{SCORE: 5.7/10}

1. I’m Your Density… I Mean Your Destiny
2. Death of an Insurance Salesman
3. Miracle
4. Can’t Catch Halley’s Comet
5. King of Hearts

So far this year of music has done an impressive job of reaffirming one of my most potent beliefs; there is still hope for pop-rock. Just to name a few, bands like Rufio, The Academy Is…, The Rocket Summer, The Higher, Cartel, Jack’s Mannequin, and Houston Calls have all produced popular music records that vibrate with radiance and show off the true spirit of the genre. In my opinion, once of the next bands to join this prestigious list might just be Big City Dreams. In fact after hearing their new EP, titled: Honesty, I am all but sure that this band has that same firm grasp on the art of crafting fresh, catchy, and fun music that allowed the aforementioned bands to succeed as they have.

Not to be misunderstood, I am not blown away by this EP, it needs work, but I am simply touched by its… well… honesty. The five track CD is apparently named after its most endearing characteristic. Big City Dreams have swayed from a more acoustic sound to a full band arrangement, and the songs are atmospheric powerpop in vain of Jimmy Eat World. Mark’s vocals are on of my favorite aspects, reminding me of something I can’t seem to place (any help would be appreciated), but his voice certainly fits magically, sounding equally as full and charming as the shimmering instrumentals.

“I’m Your Density… I Mean Your Destiny,” a track title that certainly evoked a chuckle from myself, is a wonderful and moving first taste, but also unfortunately the peak of the disc. The other songs are certainly enjoyable, but this is definitely their best, and it is my sincere opinion that an album full of the songwriting found here would be an outstanding piece of music, and a work that I am hoping Big City Dreams gets to make. In the end, the EP sits somewhere above mediocre but the band is destined to be great. Support these guys, and if you’re a fan of pop-rock, this EP will be a great addition to your collection. For a self-released effort, there is certainly promise in the Honesty of Big City Dreams.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
10:47 PM on 11/28/05
David Wooley
User Info.
great review I love this cd!
07:14 PM on 03/19/08
kidkillawatt
User Info.
i loved 'cant catch halleys comet'

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates