Password

Album Review

The Aquabats - The Fury of the Aquabats Album Cover

The Aquabats - The Fury of the Aquabats

Reviewed by
The Aquabats - The Fury of the Aquabats
Release Date: October 28th, 1997
Record Label: Time Bomb Records

There's really only one thing to say about this record, and that is that it truly is the "fury" of The Aquabats. However, i've decided i'd write a review for it anyways. Now, some people may consider this band to be nothing more than Blink-182 drummer Travis Barker's starting point, but how very wrong they are. How wrong, exactly? You're about to find out.

The Fury of the Aquabats contains 16 tracks unlike anything you've ever heard before, except possibly the songs on the bands debut record, The Return of the Aquabats. To kick things off, the album opens with "Super Rad", which is single-handedly the gem responsible for putting the band on the map. In just over three minutes the Bats give us an outline of their mission, all the while combining one of the most memorable horn melodies I've ever heard, and easily creating the catchiest song the record holds. "Magic Chicken", the albums third track, could basically be summed up in two words: absolutely ridiculous. However, who's to say that's a band thing? This is right behind "Super Rad" in terms of songs that stick in your head. "Magic Chicken" is basically just that, a song about chicken, and I guarantee this won't be a track to dissapoint you. The third masterpiece this record pumps out goes to "Martian Girl", the eighth song on there. The lyrics are based around a girl that came to earth, who apparently the band, or members within it have fallen in love with (I have no idea if this is a true story or not, but can you really expect anything less from these guys?). "Martian Girl" packs in smooth horn lines, and once again showcases the humour that the Bats have to offer. "Attacked By Snakes", on the other hand, is a track that I reccomend you skip over. Although it isn't necessarily a badly written song, it just doesn't seem to offer enough to listeners. On a more positive note, as we reach track ten we're blasted with "Idiot Box", a two minute frenzy which truly showcases the talent in their horn section. For basically the first time on the album, the Bats slow it down a bit on "My Skateboard", but once again pick it up (no pun intended) to their usual array of wild melodies at top notch speed, whilst displaying some excellent saxophone work. "Theme Song" is just that, the one song that explains where The Aquabats came from, what they're here to do, and just who the hell they are. Just when you think you've heard everything The Fury of the Aquabats has to offer, "Playdough Revisted" slides in as the secret track. If you haven't heard the older version of the song, i'd reccomend skipping it over and pleasing yourself with this one instead. It's faster, it's crazier, and it takes all the elements that made the original awesome, but swinging them over to a better produced atmosphere.

To bring this all to an end, it's really quite simple. The Aquabats have alot to offer, and in my mind, this is the bands best release to date. At some moments on the album, there isn't enough provided in certain tracks to make listeners stay occupied during those minutes, but for the most part, this album will remain a classic in any collection it's included in. Combining hilarious lyrics, strong horn melodies, and originality that only the Bats can muster, The Aquabats give it their all on this release, and they do a pretty damn good job of it.
This review is a user submitted review from Brandon Allin. You can see all of Brandon Allin's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
02:23 PM on 12/06/05
JOJOFACE
Awesomer
User Info.
This is the best album of all time ever. <3
12:48 PM on 02/19/06
boysdontcry17
User Info.
i dont really like them....they are weird...
03:25 PM on 10/30/06
irishpunk14
User Info.
great cd but Charge is better.
10:20 AM on 05/30/07
m_rue
Some days all I do is watch the sky
User Info.
Great Band! Cool Review.
06:28 PM on 02/12/09
zombie!pirate!
User Info.