Password

Album Review
The Planet Smashers - Unstoppable Album Cover

The Planet Smashers - Unstoppable

Reviewed by
The Planet Smashers - Unstoppable
Release Date: July 5th, 2005
Record Label: Stomp Records

Unstoppable, the latest offering from Quebec's ska-punk heroes, The Planet Smashers, follows in the typical fahsion we've come to love: an album jam packed from beginning to end with catchy, skankin' tunes that are sure to get stuck in your head for months to come. Unstoppable is the highly anticipated follow-up to 2003's infectious Mighty, and proves to be a perfect blend of summer songs that should not be left out of any ska lovers collection.

The album first makes its mark as the title track "Unstoppable" hits your ears, and after only three listens, I can honestly say i'm thoroughly suprised that it wasn't made the albums first single. "Unstoppable" is an upbeat tune that will get your feet moving and have you singing along before you know it. "Raise Your Glass" (which instead actually is the first single from the disc), featuring gang vocals by the guys in Big D and the Kids Table, is easily the albums catchiest track, as the Smashers give a toast to everyone who has been with them along the way ("Raise your glass, raise your glass, come on everybody now raise your glass"). "Here Come The Mods!" is a powerful, yet addictive tune, something we've learnt The Planet Smashers are more than capable of doing long before Unstoppable. "Blank Stare", another standout track, is exactly the type of song you'd expect from the Smashers, but still an impressive listen. As the album nears its close, we reach "This Song Is For You", one of my personal favourite tracks on the record, with the lyrics directed towards the hard workers in the world that deserve a pat on the back.

Unstoppable, as a whole, is an ear-pleasuring experience from start to finish, and the type of disc you can throw on in nearly any situation to lighten the mood. Matt Collyer, lead vocalist and guitarist, proves to listeners once more that he's got as many upstrokes left in him as he always did, and Neil Johnson (saxophones) and Andrew Lattoni (trombone) shows us again and again why they are a fantastic horn duo. Dave Cooper (bass) hits us with yet another series of smooth-rolling bass lines, and Scott Russel (drums) completes the whole experience.

Overall, although I don't think it quite matches what we heard on Mighty or Life of the Party, Unstoppable is an impressive experience that's perfect for any music lover seeking an all around good time. This is The Planet Smashers, and this is what they do, so take it or leave it, but you know how I feel.
This review is a user submitted review from Brandon Allin. You can see all of Brandon Allin's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version